Madison County ILGenWeb                                   


 

Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page

 

Bethany Cemetery, Godfrey

 

BETHANY CEMETERY ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 17, 1900

The final details of the incorporation of the Bethany Cemetery Association of Godfrey were arranged at a meeting in this city today, and the association prepared for active work. The old cemetery known as the Bethany Cemetery has been the property of the Bethany Methodist Church, located on the Brighton road a short distance north of Godfrey. It is the oldest burying ground in that part of the country, having been used by the original settlers on the Scarritt prairie, the first settlement near where Godfrey is today. The church was unable to keep the cemetery in good condition, and on condition that a corporation be organized for the care of the cemetery, it was agreed to deed the property to the association. The Board of Directors of the association are William Young, Henry Bausch, Wesley Waggoner, R. J. Young and Robert Crawford. The directors have elected the following officers: Wesley Waggoner, President; R. J. Young, Secretary and Treasurer. The cemetery will be cleaned up, and two acres of ground will be purchased to provide more room. As assessment will be made on all families having relatives buried there for the purpose of raising a fund to improve the cemetery.

 

BETHANY CEMETERY WILL BE ENLARGED

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 29, 1905

Bethany Cemetery, the old burying ground on the Brighton road just north of Godfrey, has become too small and the trustees were in Alton today to close a deal for the purchase of a one-acre tract which will be added to the cemetery. Bethany is a very old burying ground. It holds the remains of some of the first settlers on the prairie near Godfrey. The trustees are C. H. Bartlett, W. L. Sloan, William Young, R. Crawford, Henry Bausch. The tract was bought today from William Cruse for $100. The burial ground has been occupied so thoroughly that it was necessary to produce more room.

 

Back to the Top

 

Copyright Bev Bauser. All rights reserved.