Madison County ILGenWeb                                   


 

Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page

 

Lusk Cemetery, Edwardsville Township

 

According to the Madison County Genealogical Society, the Lusk Cemetery is now a large empty lot which is used as a playground by residents. There is a memorial marker near the entrance, and a few years ago there were still a few markers found. The location of the cemetery is in Edwardsville, on Randle Street between Oakland and Scott Streets. It was platted as a cemetery in March of 1864. The original stones were removed around 1910. Below is a list of names that are lot owners, not necessarily grave occupants. There may be more family members, buried there, or possibly none at all. Some of these lot owners were those who have been honored by our city fathers, and have streets named in their honor (Randle, Prickett).

 

According to the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon Chamber of Commerce, Lusk Cemetery, opened sometime between 1815 and 1822, was the first cemetery of Edwardsville. The land was donated by John T. Lusk. Buried in the cemetery are soldiers of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Black Hawk War, the War with Mexico, the Civil War, and the Spanish American War. Methodist Circuit Riders are buried along the west fence.

 

According to findagrave.com:  Stephenson, Benjamin b. July 8, 1769 d. October 10, 1822; buried in Lusk Cemetery, Edwardsville, Illinois
"US Congressman. He lived in Virginia and Kentucky before moving to Randolph County, Illinois Territory in 1809. Later that year he was appointed Randolph County's first Sheriff by Governor Ninian Edwards, with whom he remained friendly for the rest of his life. Stephenson later moved to Edwardsville, Madison County, and operated a general store and other businesses. During the War of 1812 he was appointed commander of a regiment of the territorial militia with the rank of Colonel, took part in two campaigns, and was later appointed as the militia's adjutant general. In September 1814 he was elected as the territory's non-voting Delegate in the US House of Representatives, serving a partial term from November 1814 to March 1815, and a full term from March 1815 to March 1817. Stephenson did not run for reelection in 1816. In April 1816 he was appointed Receiver of the US Land Office in Edwardsville, an office he held until his death. In 1818 he was a Delegate to Illinois' first constitutional convention. In 1819 he was a founder and the first President of the Bank of Edwardsville, serving until his death. The Colonel Benjamin Stephenson House in Edwardsville, which he built in 1820, is operated as a museum and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (bio by: Bill McKern)"

 

From the stephensonhouse.com:  "Cousin Jake and the guys in Lower Town also had knowledge about Lusk Cemetery on Randle Street and told Ol' Henry all about it. In the 1820's this cemetery was known as the "Public Burial Ground" and is where Col. Benjamin Stephenson was buried in 1822. It was known as Lusk Cemetery after 1840 when more than 160 feet of land facing Randle Street was added to the old burial site. This land was platted by John T. Lusk before 1840 and by his son George C. Lusk after 1840, and the cemetery is named in honor of John T. Lusk. John T. Lusk died in Edwardsville in 1857 and Lucretia died two years later and both were buried in Lusk Cemetery."

 

From politicalgraveyard.com:  Reuben Hopkins (d. 1822) - of Orange County, N.Y.; Edwardsville, Madison County, Ill. Served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War; member of New York state assembly from Orange County, 1792-93; member of New York state senate Middle District, 1793-97; general in the U.S. Army during the War of 1812. Died August 16, 1822. Interment at Lusk Park.

 

 

KNOWN BURIALS

Atwater, Edward

Blankes, Unknown

Hopkins, Lieutenant Reuben

Lusk, Captain George C.

Lusk, John T.

Lusk, Lucretia

Michel, Rebecca

Stephenson, Colonel Benjamin

Tindall, Thomas

 

 

 
LOT OWNERS AT LUSK CEMETERY

Alexander, G. C.

Armbruster, J. M.

Baldwin

Barnsback, J. L.

Beckelhaupt, H.

Berry, B. D.

Bevins, H.

Bickelhaupt, George

Bivan, Albert

Briggs, R.

Brown, W. T.

Bur, John M.

Burroughs, M. J.

Burrows, J. C.

Corkelle, J. P. M.

Daniels, N.

Eaton, H. K.

Eckoff, A.

Erwin, J.

Gates, Debes

Gender, Ernest

Gillespie, M.

Gross, Emil

Haacke, John

Hanke, C.

Harbourd, Gustoph

Head

Henry

Hes, George

Hess, Henry

Hutton, Charles

Irven, L. Marcus

Kahn, George

Kellogg, L. W.

Kohler, C.

Krafft, F. T.

Lautner

Markett, C.

McCune, George

Medkeff, S.

Meeker, O.

Morrison

Opdyke, S. E.

Osborn

Parker

Peck, William

Phillipps, G. W.

Prickett, J. A.

Putnam, G. W.

Randle, J. A.

Robbins, R. P.

Robinson, R. E.

Rugger, Edward

Ruggles, H.

Schroeder, Margaret

Scruder, Fred

Seib, N.

Selby, S.

Sirves, R. C.

Smith, J. N. S.

Smith, L.

Smith, S.

Soehkle, Fritz

Soutner, W.

Springer, F. J.

Summers, Henry

Sutter, John

Terence, P. & T.

Terry, J. W.

Thomas

Tindall, P.

Trumbull, Thomas

Turner, J.

Turner, W. J.

Unknown, Israel

Unknown, John

Vaughn, C. G.

Wasner, L.

Weir, J. H.

Whaling, G. L.

Wilder, Henry

Wilson, J. T.

Wilson, William

Wolf

Yates, T. W.

Zeigler, C.

 

Back to the Top

 

Copyright Bev Bauser. All rights reserved.