CITY OF ALTON:
ALTON JOURNAL, dates unknown
[probably 1880s, 1890s], launched by publisher William A. Bode,
which was suspended when Mr. Bode took sick and was no longer
able to give it his personal attention. German newspaper.
He not only wrote his own copy, but set the type from which the
printing was done.
ALTONIAN, March 13-27, 1838. Edited
and published by L. A. Parks and Edmund Breath. Favored Whig
principles. Only three numbers issued.
AMERICAN, November 22, 1833-1834.
Founded by J. S. Buchanan; devoted to the agricultural,
mechanical, and mercantile interests of Lower Alton and
surrounding country; religious but not denominational. Published
by Messrs. Bailey and Parks and edited by Rev. Thomas
BANNER, 1866 – 1865+. Established by
Pfeiffer Brothers. In five months John Mold purchased the paper
and continued publication until 1868, when the leaders of the
Republican party bought the paper and put V. Walter in charge as
editor. In 1869 it was sold to Messrs. Meyer and Voss; 1870
Meyer purchased Voss’ interest, and in 1877 sold to R. Boelitz,
who in 1881 sold to Messrs. Zechmeister and Henzel; in 1882
Messrs. Kleinwot and Henzel became editors and publishers.
Independent in politics after 1882. German. Also publisher was
William A. Bode.
1875 – 1875. Monthly. Edited by Rev. Robert West. Published in
the interest of the Congregational church by E. A. Smith. In
1876 it was sold to the Advance Company of Chicago.
COMMERCIAL GAZETTE, 1839-1840.
Published by Samuel S. Brooks and John H. Pettit. It was
suspended in March 1840, and revived for the campaign, after
which it was again suspended. It was Democratic in politics.
COURIER, May 29, 1852 – 1861.
Published by Geo. T. Brown; associated with him were James
Gamble and John Fitch. It was edited by Mr. Fitch, 1853-1854.
Mr. Brown was its sole editor and proprietor, 1854-1860, when he
sold to B. J. F. Hanna and S. V. Crossman. In May, 1860,
Benjamin Teasdale and B. F. Webster obtained an interest. Mr.
Webster retired in December 1860, and its publication was
abandoned in January 1861. In the Kansas-Nebraska controversy it
strongly favored free soil and in 1856 favored Fremont for
president. In 1858 the Courier became Republican and
supported Lincoln against Douglas. When they reached common
political ground, the Courier and Telegraph were
merged. Daily, tri-weekly, and weekly.
CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN, 1868 –
1874. In 1874 it was sold and removed to Nashville, Tennessee.
DAILY EVENING DEMOCRAT, 1858 to
DEMOCRAT, 1875 – 1882+. Established
by J. N. Shoemaker and Hugh E. Bayle. In 1876 a daily was begun.
In three months the paper passed into the hands of Perrin, Smith
and Company. The “company” was D. C. Fitz Morris, editor. In
1878 Fitz Morris withdrew from the firm but continued as editor.
Combined with Sentinel in 1882.
FREIE PRESSE, 1858 – 1859.
Established by Dr. Canisius, and with the second issue
transferred to Christian Schneider, who conducted it about one
GOOD TEMPLAR, 1865 – 1868. Edited by
B. H. Mills. It had been published formerly at St. Louis.
ILLINOIS BEOBACHTER, 1855 – 1866.
Established and published by John Reis, 1855-1863; V. Walter
1863-1864; G. H. Weigler 1864-1866. While conducted by Mr. Reis,
it favored the Douglas wing of Democracy, and under Mr. Walter
was Republican. It was a weekly German paper. Destroyed by fire.
ILLINOIS TEMPERANCE HERALD,
June 1, 1836-1839. Monthly. Edited by F. W. Graves, and later by
A. W. Corey, assisted by Timothy Turner; published by the
executive committee of the Illinois State Temperance Society.
November 1839 the title was changed to
Missouri and Illinois Temperance Herald.
LADIES’ PEARL, 1857-1861. Edited by
Dr. J. B. Logan and Rev. W. W. Brown in the interest of the
Cumberland Presbyterian church. Monthly.
SENTINEL, 1879 – 1882+. Established by James J. McInerney as an
Independent daily. In 1882 it was combined with the Democrat
as Daily Sentinel-Democrat, with McInerney as editor and
proprietor. Later, it was published by a stock company. In 1905
W. H. Murphy bought a half interest; McInerney died in 1909, and
Murphy sold his interest to his associates, who still conduct
MISSOURI AND ILLINOIS TEMPERANCE
HERALD, November 1839 – 1842. Published simultaneously in St.
Louis and Alton as the organ of the two state temperance
societies. January 1842, the paper became the organ also of the
Washingtonian societies, and the title with the number for that
date became Missouri and Illinois Temperance Herald and
Washingtonian. A. W. Corey was still editor.
MISSOURI CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN,
1855. In 1852 it was started at Lexington, Mo. In 1853 removed
to St. Louis, and to Alton in 1855. Edited by Dr. J. B. Logan.
In June 1855, the subscription list was sold and transferred to
the Watchman and Evangelist, Louisville, Ky.
MORNING NEWS, 1876. Edited by James
J. McInerney and Eugene J. Bronson. Daily, Independent.
Suspended in three months.
NATIONAL DEMOCRAT, 1854-1869.
Published by Geo. M. Thompson and edited by John Fitch, 1854
with George M. Thompson as Publisher;
John and T. N. Fitch 1854-1859; John Fitch 1859-1860. In 1860
building and press were destroyed by a tornado. In seven weeks,
Robert P. Tansey resumed its publication. In a short time it
passed into the hands of Wm. T. Brock and from him to W. T.
Dowdall, with Thomas Dimmock as editor. In 1864 Mr. Dowdall sold
to John C. Dobelbower, but Mr. Dimmock continued editor. In 1866
it was destroyed by fire but was re-established and its
publication was continued until 1869, when it was removed to
OBSERVER, September 8, 1836 – August
21, 1837. This paper was first published in St. Louis as an
organ of the Presbyterians. When Elijah P. Lovejoy became its
editor, he began vigorously and unrelentingly to assail the
institution of slavery through its columns. In 1836 he resolved
to remove the press and material of the Observer to
Alton, Illinois. Before shipment, much of the material was
destroyed and cast into the Mississippi, and the rest met the
same fate when it was unloaded on the wharf at Alton.
Notwithstanding these reverses, Mr. Lovejoy procured a new press
and the first issue of the Alton Observer appeared,
September 8, 1836. This new press, type, and material were
destroyed by a mob on the night of August 21, 1837. The third
press was ordered, and destroyed on the night of its arrival,
and the fragments were cast into the river. A fourth press was
ordered at once. It was shipped from Cincinnati and arrived in
Alton on the night of November 6, 1837. On the night of November
7, Mr. Lovejoy was killed, his press broken up and its
fragments, too, cast into the Mississippi. The battered press
lay in the river till 1858, when W. R. Mead bought the ‘find’
for $35, and removed it to Iowa. From 1858 to 1870 it was used
to print the Cresco Plain Dealer, at New Oregon, Howard
County, Iowa. Then George E. Frost bought it for $100 and
printed the Clear Lake Observer on it till about 1876,
when it was again sold to F. A. Gates, editor of the Belmont
Herald. For about twenty years it remained in service at
Belmont, Iowa, and was then sold to Mr. C. F. Gunther, of
Chicago, who exhibited it in ‘Libby Prison.’ Beginning December
28, 1837, the Observer was printed in Cincinnati by
Elisha W. Chester and sent to Alton for distribution. Rev. T. B.
Hulburt supplied local news from Alton. This arrangement was
abandoned April 19, 1838.
OUR FAITH, 1875
– 1876. Monthly. Established by T. H. Perrin and Dr. J. B.
Logan. It took the place of Cumberland Presbyterian. In
1876 it was sold to the St. Louis
PEOPLE’S MISCELLANY AND ILLINOIS
HERALD, July 27, 1842 - ?. Another paper edited by A. W. Corey,
who in the first number announced the discontinuance of the
Illinois Temperance Herald. The prospectus announced the
paper to be the organ of the Illinois State Temperance society,
and all other temperance societies that wished to use its
columns; but unlike its unsuccessful predecessors, this was to
be a general newspaper. Parks and Souther were its publishers.
PROTESTANT MONITOR, 1846 – 1848.
Removed from Greenville. E. M. Lathrop was editor; Lathrop and
John M. McPike were publishers. Suspended with vol. 3, no. 32,
May 24, 1848. Revived as Alton Monitor, 1848; edited by
John W. Buffum. Suspended at close of campaign. It was
Democratic, and a violent religious sheet.
SENTINEL-DEMOCRAT, ? - March 1911.
The Sentinel-Democrat was put out of business as the result of a
conference over the sale of the minority stockholders
possessions in the paper to the rival Democrat paper. The
suspension of the paper was the result of a sentiment among
business men against a third newspaper in Alton. John F.
Riley was foreman at the plant.
SPECTATOR 1832-1839 Published first
in Upper Alton by O. M. Adams and Edward Breath. The firm soon
dissolved and Mr. Breath alone removed this paper to Lower
Alton, now Alton, in October 1832. Mr. J.T. Hudson successor to
Mr. Breath, edited and published it 1834-1836. WA Beaty 1836.
D Ward 1836-1837. Wm Hessin 1837. Mr Hessin and Seth T Sawyer
1837. Mr Hessin 1837-1838. J. Clark Virgin in December 1838,
and he soon suspended it. It was Whig in politics, giving much
attention to the banking system of the country.
STAR OF BETHLEHEM AND CANDID
EXAMINER - ?. Edited by A. Doubleday. A religious paper; died
with the first number.
SUCKER, 1840. Published by Parks and
Beaty, and edited by “Ourselves,” who were understood to be Wm.
S. and John Lincoln and James Hall. It was Whig and supported
Harrison for the presidential nomination. It was merged in the
Telegraph in March 1840.
SUCKER LIFE BOAT, January to July
1855. Comic sheet edited and published by John T. Beem, Martin
Brooks, and Wilbur T. Ware.
TAPER, June 1840 - ?. A
non-sectarian religious monthly, edited by Rev. Thomas
Lippincott, a Presbyterian minister.
TELEGRAPH, January 17, 1836 to 1882.
Founded by R. M. Treadway and L. A. Parks. Published by Messrs.
Treadway, Parks, and S. G. Bailey, 1836-1837; Parks and Bailey,
1837; Mr. Parks 1837; Mr. Parks and John Bailhache 1837; Mr.
Bailhache 1837-1838. In 1838 S. R. Dolbee purchased a half
interest and firm continued until 1850 when Dolbee was succeeded
by Wm. H. Bailhache, son of John Bailhache. From 1852-1854 E. L.
Baker was one of the firm. Mr. Baker and L. A. Parks conducted
it, 1854-1855. In 1855 the Telegraph was merged in the
Courier and so remained until the death of the Courier in 1861,
when L. A. Parks and J. T. Beem and S. V. Crossman revived the
publication of the Telegraph. Parks and Crossman
continued its publication 1861-1864; Mr. Parks and Thos. S.
Pinckard 1864-1866; Mr. Parks 1866; Parks and Chas. Holden
1866-1867; Parks, Holden, and W. T. Norton 1867-1875; Holden and
Norton, 1875-1880; Mr. Norton 1880 to 1893. After 1888 the paper
was published by the Alton Telegraph Printing Company. In 1893
W. T. Norton sold his stock to W. J. A. Cousley and W. H. Bauer,
who with other stockholders continue to publish the paper, with
W. J. A. Cousley as editor. Mr. John Bailhache was its editor,
1837-1841, and from 1841 for several years it was edited by Geo.
T. M. Davis. It was known simply as the Telegraph until
April 3, 1841, when it became the Alton Telegraph and
Democratic Review. In 1853 it became the Alton Telegraph
and Madison County Record, which name it retained until
merged in the Courier. When the Whig party died, it
became a strong Republican organ. During the fall of 1836, great
excitement spread over the country as a consequence of John
Quincy Adams’ contest in Congress over the right of petition. It
is asserted that the Telegraph was the only paper west of
Cincinnati which supported Mr. Adams in that struggle. January
1, 1851, a tri-weekly was begun; in 1852 the daily was begun;
the weekly was continued.
TEMPERANCE WATCHMAN, 1872.
Monthly. Edited by R. S. Smiley; published by E. A. Smith, “in
the interest of the Temple of Honor and Temperance.” Probably
the ancestor of Temperance Banner.
TRUTH SEEKER, November 1845 –
September 1846. Quarterly. Edited by the Rev. Lemuel Foster.
The occasion of the paper was the suppression, by the Chicago
Western Citizen, of the report of the discussion which took
place in the annual meeting of the Illinois Anti-Slavery
Society, held June 1845, at Alton. After almost a year, Truth
Seeker abandoned the task of reforming Mr. Eastman et al.,
and left the Western Citizen still impenitent.
VOICE OF ILLINOIS, 1838 to close of
campaign. Supported Cyrus Edwards for governor, Wm. H. Davidson
for lieutenant governor, and George Churchill for senator.
Campaign paper published by a Whig committee for Madison County.
VORWARTS, 1852-54. Published by P.
Stibolt and V. Walter. Mr. Stibolt took it to Galena, and
subsequently he went to Peoria, where he became the editor of
the Deutsche Zeitung. It was Democratic. German.
WEEKLY ALTON TELEGRAPH, 1858. A
campaign paper edited by Messrs. Parks and Ennis, Mr. Parks
being the political editor.
WESTERN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN,
1862 – 1868. Founded and edited by Rev. J. B. Logan, to take the
place of the St. Louis Observer, which left the northwest
without an organ. Devoted to religion, morality, church news in
general. In 1866 he sold the subscription lists to T. H. Perrin,
but remained editor until 1868, when Rev. J. R. Brown bought
one-half interest in the paper. Dr. Logan then purchased the
subscription lists of the Cumberland Presbyterian and
united with Dr. Brown. The word “Western” was dropped, and the
paper was called Cumberland Presbyterian.
WESTERN PIONEER AND BAPTIST
STANDARD BEARER, June 30, 1836-1839. Removed from Rock Spring in
June 1836 by Ashford Smith and Company, under patronage of the
Baptist denomination in Illinois and Missouri. Its editors were
J. M. Peck, at first alone, afterward associated with E. Rogers
and Rev. Washington Leverett. With the beginning of its second
year, it was known as the Western Pioneer. It was finally
discontinued as a separate publication about the close of 1838,
and combined in January 1839 with a paper published at
Louisville, Ky., and New Albany, Iowa, entitled, in 1839,
Baptist Banner and Western Pioneer.
CITY OF COLLINSVILLE:
ARGUS, 1871 – 1880. The Union Publishing Company were
proprietors and A. W. Angier, editor. At the end of the first
volume, L. D. Caulk became editor; the paper was then owned by
the Collinsville Publishing Company. Caulk was succeeded by
Anton Neustadt, who became editor and proprietor. In 1878,
Connolly and Johnson became proprietors. In 1879, Connolly
retired; in eight months publication was suspended. Republican
until 1878, then Independent.
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT, 1872 – 1878. Started by A. W. Angier. In 1878
the presses were moved to Edwardsville. Democratic.
WEEKLY HERALD, 1879 – after 1884. James N. Peers was the first
editor and publisher. In 1882, edited by William A. Garasche; in
1884 by James N. Peers. Independent.
CITY OF EDWARDSVILLE:
CRISIS, April 14
– February 1831+. Edited by S. S. Brooks; evidently the
mouthpiece of Theophilus W. Smith. After thirty-four numbers the
name was changed to Illinois Advocate.
ILLINOIS ADVOCATE, +February 1831 –
1832+. Established, edited, published by John York Sawyer and
Jonathan Angevine, the establishment passed into the hands of
John York Sawyer. J. Angevine was associated with Mr. Sawyer for
a year. When Mr. Angevine retired, William Peach became a
partner, Sawyer removed the establishment in December 1832 to
Vandalia, the State capital. Mr. Sawyer merged the Western
Plowboy in the Advocate, and in 1839 the paper was
removed to Springfield. Sturdily Democratic-Republican in
ILLINOIS CORRECTOR, 1827 – 1828.
Edited by R. K. Fleming, who, in 1828, moved back to Kaskaskia
and published the Reporter. It was a pro-slavery paper
and strongly supported Jackson for president.
REPUBLICAN, +1823 – July 28, 1824. Like the Star of the West,
the Republican was pro-slavery. During the convention
contest, April 1822 to August 1824, Judge Theophilus W. Smith
and Emanual J. West were the leading editors, who endeavored to
counteract the influence of the
INTELLIGENCER, November 12, 1862 to
date. Named for the Illinois Intelligencer and published
by James R. Brown and Henry C. Barnsback, with George B.
Burnett, editor. After four months Barnsback retired. Brown
continued the paper until his death in 1882, and made it the
spokesman of his party in Madison county. In January 1883, the
paper was purchased by Charles Boeschenstein, who merged with it
the Highland Herald, which he published at Highland. He
issued the Intelligencer weekly until January 1893, when
it appeared semi-weekly. Beginning January 1903, it was issued
every other day, and in January 1907 it was made a daily.
MADISON ADVERTISER, 1856 –
1865+. Founded by James R. Brown, who after four issues sold to
O. C. Dake. His successors were Joseph L. Krafft; William G.
Pinckart; Frank Springer, 1861 – 1862; Thompson and Dunnegan;
Thompson alone, December 1861 – 1865; and Whitman and Crabb.
Whig. Changed to Madison County
MADISON COUNTY ANZEIGER, May 7, 1875
– 1879. A German paper published by C. Lohmann and Son, with C.
Lohmann as editor. In 1878 H. C. Lohmann retired; Mr. Lohmann
Sr., continued the paper for but a short time thereafter. A
paper bearing the same name was established in 1881. At first
Independent, but in 1876 Republican.
MADISON COUNTY BOTE, +1869 – 1873.
A continuation of Highland Bote, removed by B. E. Hoffman
from Highland. In 1870 sold to E. G. Wolf and Frank Haag. In
1873 publication was suspended; the material reverted to Mr.
Hoffman who sold it to Captain Anthony Neustadt of Collinsville.
MADISON COUNTY COURIER, +October 12,
1865 – 1869. Published by J. D. Whitman and Mr. Crabb. Crabb
soon retired and J. D. Whitman published the paper alone until
October 5, 1869, when he suspended publication and sold the
material to S. V. Crossman.
MADISON COUNTY ENQUIRER, 1853
– 1856. Edited by Theodore Terry. Democratic. It was suspended
for a time and appeared again as the
MADISON COUNTY RECORD, 1850 – 1851.
The first editors and publishers were Dallam and Ruggles; next
Ruggles and L. E. Smith; next Smith and David Gillespie, under
whom its publication ceased. Ruggles went to Henry, Marshal
county, and founded the Courier.
OUR TIMES, October 2, 1872 – 1881.
A. W. Angier and T. S. Angier were editors and publishers. In
1881 it was sold to Messrs. Price and Simcox. In a month or so,
Price withdrew, and in another month Simcox took E. W. Anderson
as a partner. In three months the latter retired. In two months
Simcox sold a half-interest to Joseph S. Umberger. In May 1881,
the name was changed to Edwardsville Times, 1881 – 1882.
In 1882 Ansel L. Brown purchased the paper and changed the name
REPUBLICAN, July 1, 1869 to date.
Established and published by S. V. Crossman until his death in
July 1875; afterward one year by the S. V. Crossman Printing
Company, R. B., T. M. and W. R. Crossman; two years by O. S.
Reed and Company; purchased July 1, 1879 by sons of the founded,
T. M. and W. R. Crossman, and operated by them until September
1907 when W. R. Crossman purchased interest of T. M. Crossman.
Weekly until March 1, 1907, when it was changed to a
twice-a-week edition. For a short time beginning July 16 or 17,
1876, it was published daily. Has been Republican since its
SOVEREIGN PEOPLE, +1840 – 1841.
Edited by James Ruggles.
SPECTATOR, 1819 – 1826. Edited by
Hooper Warren, assisted by George Churchill, 1819 – 1825; Thomas
Lippincott and Jeremiah Abbott, 1825 – 1826. It was the third
paper published in the State. The Spectator strongly
opposed the convention of 1824. “It was the first distinctively
anti-slavery paper ever published in the State.” Vol. 3, no.
141, February 19, 1822, is in the office of the Republican.
The last number was issued October 20, 1826.
STAR OF THE WEST, 1822 –
1823+. Published by Miller and Stine, who represented the
leading Democratic citizens of the place. It was the fourth
paper then published in the State – these in the order of
establishment were the Intelligencer, Vandalia;
Gazette, Shawneetown; Spectator and Star of the
West, Edwardsville. After six months the Star of the West
went into the hands of Thomas J. McGuire and Company, who issued
the Illinois Republican.
WEEKLY MADISON PRESS, August 17,
1858 – 1862. This paper was established and published by
Theodore Terry and James R. Brown. Brown retired December 15,
1858. It favored Democracy.
WESTERN PLOUGHBOY, January 1, 1831 –
January 17, 1832. An agricultural paper edited and published by
John York Sawyer, and issued semi-monthly, except that one month
elapsed between the second and third numbers. Twenty-five
numbers of eight two-column pages were issued, after which the
paper was merged in the Advocate, one page of which was
thereafter given up to such agricultural matters as had
previously appeared in the Ploughboy. This was the second
agricultural paper issued west of the Alleghanies; it was the
first in Illinois. “When it is recollected that only one
agricultural paper (the Western Tiller) is printed west
of the Alleghanies, and that most of the works on agriculture
treat generally on the manner of improving the soil rather than
selecting the most profitable crop, it will be seen that we have
engaged in no trifling affair.” (Item, March 12, 1832). The
paper was printed by S. S. Brooks in the Advocate office.
A file, lacking the first number, is in the library at the
University of Illinois.
WESTERN WEEKLY MIRROR, 1838 –
1840+. Edited by James Ruggles, and devoted to the introduction
and propagation of a universal language. Changed to
CITY OF HIGHLAND:
ERZAEHLER, March 26 – May 7,
1859+. Established by Rudolph Stadtmann and John Harlen,
Stadtmann, editor. April 30, Stadtmann became sole publisher.
On May 7, 1859, the name was changed to
HIGHLAND BOTE, +May 7, 1859 –
January 12, 1867+. Peter Weiss and Peter Voegele became
proprietors, Weiss editor, June 25 – December 21, 1859. Peter
Voegele became sole proprietor and publisher, with Heinrich
Stiefel as editor from March 1, 1861, to August 17, 1862. On
April 10, 1863, Voegele sold out to Timothy Gruaz, who changed
the name to Highland Bote Und Schuetzen-Zeitung.
HIGHLAND BOTE UND SCHUETZEN-ZEITUNG,
+January 12, 1867 – 1869+. June, 1868, Gruaz sold out to B. E.
Hoffmann and Maurice Huegy, Hoffmann, editor. November 1869,
Hoffmann purchased Huegy’s interest and moved the material to
Edwardsville, where the paper was continued as the Madison
County Bote. The Bote was Democratic. Under the name
of Bote und Schuetzen-Zeitung it was the official organ
of the National Sharp-Shooters’ Association.
HIGHLAND UNION, +1868 to date. John
S. Hoerner became sole proprietor and editor March 18, 1874. In
September 1898, Hoerner sold out to C. T. Kurz, who is still in
possession in 1909. The Union has always been Republican.
24-1863 – 1868+. German. Established by the German Literary
Society. C. H. Seybt was editor until January 28, 1865, then Dr.
Gallus Rutz. December 28, 1866, Dr. G. Rutz and J. S. Hoerner
became proprietors, with Dr. Rutz, editor. October 22, 1868 the
name was changed to Highland Union.
CITY OF TROY:
WEEKLY BULLETIN, February 1873 –
1884. Established by James N. Jarvis, who continued the
publication to 1881. Then he sold to George Armstrong and Joseph
S. Umberger. In three months they sold to Henry B. Morriss. In
1882 Morriss sold to Dr. F. A. Sabin. In September 1883, Mr.
Jarvis established the Troy Record, and in the spring of
1884 bought the Bulletin, merged the two plants and
discontinued the publication of the Bulletin. The motto
of the paper was “Independent in all things; neutral in
CITY OF UPPER ALTON:
COLLEGE REVIEW, 1879 - ? Frank J.
Merchant and John L. Pearson, editors. Issued by Shurtleff
College students. Monthly.
QUI VIVE, 1868 – 1877? A college
paper, edited by the students of Shurtleff College. Monthly.