Madison County ILGenWeb                                         


 

Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page

 

North Alton Photos

(In the early days, North Alton was also called Altonia, Coal Branch, Greenwood, and Buck Inn)

 

Steam Roller and Chappee Grocery Store, North Alton

 

Steam Roller and Chappee Grocery Store, North Alton

Black-topping streets became popular in the 1930s, and this old steamroller was paving Alby in 1939. Shown in the background is the Chappee Grocery, located at the NE corner of Elm and Alby streets. The small grocery store also operated a gas station. From the Telegraph archives.

 

North Alton on State Street, near Elm Street

This photo shows North Alton on State Street, near Elm Street. North Alton had a town hall, and the post office operated out of Buck Inn on the Grafton Road (Delmar). Streetcar connections to Alton and Upper Alton provided popular transportation between villages.  From the Alton Telegraph archives.

 

 

Elmway, at the SE corner of Elm and North Henry Streets, North Alton

Elmway Drive-In was founded in 1941 by Anton Landgraf. His brother, Joseph, along with his brother-in-law Clifford Kunz, took over a few years later. The menu included Sloppy Joes, Steakburgers, Hot Dogs, Homemade Pies and Cakes, Malts & Shakes. It was a popular place for families and teens. The business was sold in 1962 and was replaced with a Standard Oil Service Station. The newspaper articles state it was located at the SE corner of Elm and N. Henry streets, which is near where the Alton Little Theater is currently located.

 
 
 

 

Back to the Top

Back to Main Photo Album Page

Copyright Bev Bauser. All Rights Reserved.