Madison County ILGenWeb                                           


 

Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page

 

Upper Alton, Illinois

 

Upper Alton, abt. 1940

Fall Festival, College Avenue facing west.

Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, year unknown

Elijah P. Lovejoy was one of it's pastors.

   

 

Cole-Clarke Mansion, NE corner of College Avenue and Seminary St., Upper Alton

Built in 1869 for Professor Orlando Castle, and later sold to businessman Hermon C. Cole. Cole's widow married Prof. John C. Clarke, a member of the Shurtleff College faculty. The home was later sold to Shurtleff and used for dormitories.  It burned in 1940.

 

The Old Rock House, 2705 College Ave., Upper Alton, IL

"Old Rock House", 2705 College Ave., Upper Alton

Built in 1835 by John Higham and Henry C. Caswell, pioneer residents of Upper Alton.

In 1837, it was the residence of Rev. Hurlbut (associated with Lovejoy) and the Higham family.  It was here that a convention of abolitionists was held, under the direction of Elijah Lovejoy. During the Civil War, the house was supposedly used as part of the Underground Railway.

 
   
 
   
 
   
 

Back to Photo Album Page

 

Back to the Top

 

Copyright Bev Bauser.    All rights reserved.