Madison County ILGenWeb                                         


 

Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page

 

School  Building  Photos

 

Wanda School, as it looks in 2009. The sign reads "Heritage House,"

and may be serving the Methodist church as a community center.

Front doors have been replaced since 1929.

Photo courtesy of Marsha Ensminger

 

Wanda School, 2009, front entry with new doors &

iron handrails, and a cross that wasn't there

when the building was a school.

Photo courtesy of Marsha Ensminger

 

 

East Alton - Wood River Community High School, 2009.

This is the original portion, it has been added on to.

Photo courtesy of Marsha Ensminger

East Alton - Wood River Community High School, 2009.

Photo courtesy of Marsha Ensminger

 

 

Edwardsville High School - 1911

Side view of Alton High School, February 1946

Picture taken from College Avenue, Alton

   

Western Military Academy, Upper Alton - 1916

Collinsville, Illinois High School - 1944

   

Wood River High School - 1928

 

   

Parish School of St. Bernard's Parish (now Holy Angels Parish), Wood River

This building still stands (2009), but is no longer used as a school.

Wood River Grammar School - 1929

   

Alton High School 1912

Sixth and Mechanic Streets

From the book "Alton Illinois, A Graphic Sketch" by James Allan Reid

Mason School on Bartlett Lane, Godfrey

Built in 1874 when Charles Mason donated 1/2 acre of lane.

The school was destroyed by fire in 1972, leaving only the bell

as a memento of a school that Charles Deneen, Illinois Governor,

served as principal. He was known for his debates.

From the Alton Telegraph archives

   

The Summerfield School house was built in 1844 or 1845, on land donated by Major George W. Long, who had named his farm Summerfield. It closed it's doors May 12, 1912, and was later sold and the wood used on a farm.  The original school building constructed was 18x22 feet, and was completed in 1844 or 1845. Timbers were used from the site. An addition was added later, extending the room 22 feet.

 
 

 

 
 
 

Back to the Top

Back to Photo Album Page

 

Copyright Bev Bauser. All Rights Reserved.