Madison County ILGenWeb                                        


Births      Black History      Cemeteries      Census      Churches      Civil War Prison      County History      Deaths      Links      Marriages

Military      Miscellaneous      Newspaper Clips      Obituaries      Paranormal      Photo Album      Piasa Bird      Schools      Site Map

Surnames      Wann Disaster      Wood River Massacre

Home Page


Obituaries - Surnames X, Y, and Z

In order to comply with copyright laws, please submit only obituaries published before 1923


NOTE:  All obituaries are copyrighted and may not be copied and posted elsewhere without permission!!!


Those names in bold, red lettering were well-known or of importance in Madison County.


A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H     I -J     K     L     M     N     O     P     Q-R     S     T     U-V     W     X-Z






YACKEL, ADOLPH/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 15, 1908

Adolph Yackel, former alderman and former member of the County Board of Supervisors, died Wednesday night at 9:30 o'clock, after a spell of bronchial asthma, aged 46. He was stricken with apoplexy about two years ago, and after a long period of disability he regained his strength enough to attend to his business and be around the streets. For several months he has been suffering from asthma and has had trouble with coughing. He was still able to be around and did not go to bed until 6 o'clock Wednesday night. He was taken with a violent spell of coughing and this is supposed to have caused a recurrence of the apopletic stroke which proved fatal. Mr. Yackel was a native of Alton and was a prominent business man. He was engaged in the soda water business for about twelve years, and had built up a good business. He leaves beside his wife, five sons and two daughters. He leaves also three sisters, Mrs. Robert Brueggemann, Mrs. George Hunt and Mrs. Caroline Putz. The death of Mr. Yackel was a surprise to his friends and relatives, as it was not supposed he had been ill. He had complained of much trouble with his breathing and had visited a doctor Wednesday morning. At that time there was only the usual symptoms of bronchial asthma.



YACKEL, AMELIA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 20, 1903

Miss Amelia Yackel, a well known young lady of Alton, died at her home on East Fifth street near Ridge street, Saturday afternoon after a two weeks illness from inflammation of the bowels. She was 38 years of age and had lived in Alton all her life. Miss Yackel had been in poor health for several years, and her constitution was weakened by the prolonged illness. She was a member of a prominent East End family, and was highly esteemed by all who knew her. The funeral was held this afternoon from the family home, and services were conducted by Rev. Theodore Oberhellman. Burial was in the City Cemetery.



YACKEL, ANNIE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 31, 1901

Mrs. Annie Yackel, widow of George Yackel and mother of Adolph Yackel and Mrs. George Hunt, died this afternoon at the home of her daughter, Ninth and Liberty streets, after an illness of paralysis.



YACKEL, CASPER/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 12, 1902

Death came suddenly Friday evening about 8 o'clock to Casper Yackel, one of the best known residents of the eastern part of the city, and for many years an efficient police officer in Alton. His death was an awful shock to his family, for he left his home, 1001 east Second street, shortly after 7 o'clock apparently in the very best of health and spirits, to look at a new house being erected by his brother-in-law, George Hunt. He romped with the children before he went, and after that nothing much is known. He was evidently suffering the first agony of death when he reached the home of Adam Gollmer, 409 Ridge street, for there he grasped the banisters of the steps leading up to the house and leaned over them gasping for breath and groaning. Mrs. Gollmer ran out and asked him what was the matter, and he told her he was deathly sick and to please help him home. When he was being lifted from his bent-over position, he died. He was a member of the Germania Lodge I. O. O. F. and of the D. O. H.  He served in the Rebellion on the side of the Union, but never joined a G. A. R. post. He was 58 years of age, and although born in Germany, was brought here while very young and spent most of his life in this city. He leaves a widow and six children: Mesdames David R. Long and William Weisbach, and Misses Clara and Minnie Yackel and George and John Yackel, all of this city; besides a brother, A. Yackel, the soda water manufacturer, and three sisters, Mesdames Robert Brueggeman, Louis Putze, and George Hunt. The late Mrs. Jacob Kuhn was his sister, and her death was similar to his, heart disease taking each. The funeral will be Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock.



YACKEL, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 6, 1919              Meets Death in Fall at Standard-Tilton Mill

John Yackel, aged 36, was found dead on the second floor of the Standard-Tilton mill this morning about 9:30 o'clock, where he had fallen from a five foot stepladder. The cause of his death was sought in an autopsy this afternoon. Yackel had been working as a painter in the mill for more than a year. He was engaged in painting the water pipes of the sprinkler system in the mill, and this morning was engaged on the second floor of the mill and was standing on the stepladder. No one saw him as he began to fall, but two men working on the next floor saw him after he had started, his feet higher than his head. They rushed to see what had happened, and found Yackel dead. It was assumed he had fractured his neck, as he must have struck on his head. There was no mark on him to indicate that he had suffered a heavy blow. The body was turned over to Deputy Coroner W. H. Bauer, who will hold an inquest. Owing to the shortness of the distance he fell, there was some who believed he might have been stricken with heart disease and that he was not killed by the fall. Mr. Yackel was born in Alton and had lived here all his life. He was a son of Caroline Yackel, widow of Casper Yackel, of 823 East Fifth street. He leaves his wife and three children, Edwin, Raymond and Charlotte. He leaves also his mother and four sisters, Miss Clara Yackel, Mrs. David Ruddy, Mrs. William Clark and Mrs. William Welsbach. News of the death of Yackel was suppressed until such time could elapse as would be necessary to get the word home to the members of his family to avoid causing them any cruel shock.



YAEGER, ANNA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 18, 1917

Mrs. Anna Yaeger, wife of Frank X. Yaeger, the well known railway engineer, died at her home, 1715 Alby street Wednesday evening at 9:30 o'clock, aged 52. Mrs. Yaeger had been very sick for a month with a complication of diseases, the principal malady being gastritis. She had not been in good health for a long time. In the last few weeks of her life it was realized that it would be impossible for her to recover, and the end was not unexpected. Mrs. Yaeger was born in Palmyra, Mo., and she died one day after her 52nd birthday. She came to Alton when a girl with her parents. She was married to Frank X. Yaeger in June 1887, and soon afterward the couple went to housekeeping in the home where she died. She leaves two children, Herbert Yaeger and Mrs. Irene Walters, also two grandchildren. She leaves one brother, Joseph Kohler of Alton. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the family home, Rev. Heggemeier of the Evangelical Church officiating. Mrs. Yaeger was a member of Bluff City Court of Honor. She was a woman who was beloved in her family and in the neighborhood where she had spent close to thirty years of her life. Her death is the cause of much sadness among those who had known her, and the bereaved family have a very large circle of sympathetic friends.



YAEGER, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 30, 1904                                     Engineer Crushed to Death in Cab of Engine

William Yaeger, a well known former Alton engineer, was killed this afternoon near Wanda. He has for several years been in charge of one of the Illinois Terminal engines, and has resided in Edwardsville for a year or more, moving from Alton so as to allow him to be with his family at nights, his last trip each day ending at the county seat. Meager details of the wreck were received at Alton. Will Adams, the fireman, jumped and saved his life. William Hanser, baggage man, jumped and suffered slight injuries. William Yaeger was crushed under the over-turned engine. Mr. Yaeger lived in Alton most of his life until a year ago, when he went to Edwardsville. His brother, Frank Yaeger, lives in this city. Mr. William Yaeger was one of the most reliable and experienced engineers in Illinois. For many years he was an employee of the Chicago and Alton railway, and more recently he was in the employ of the Alton Paper Box Manufacturing Co., and left there to take a position on the Terminal. Mr. Yaeger was severely injured last spring by the spreading of the rails after a terrific rainstorm.


Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 2, 1904

There was a large gathering of friends and relatives of William Yaeger today to pay their last respects to the dead engineer who met death so bravely at his post of duty in his engine last Saturday afternoon at Wanda. The funeral party consisting of members of the family, the pallbearers, and some of his friends who went to Edwardsville this morning to escort the body over, arrived on a special train from Edwardsville this morning. The remains were taken immediately to the home of Frank Yaeger, his brother on Alby Street, and from there the funeral services were held. The floral offerings were costly and numerous. During his lifetime Mr. Yaeger had been a quiet, unobtrusive man, and was one of the best men who ever pulled a throttle on a locomotive. Railway men tell it that he had expressed a consciousness that he might meet death in the engine cab sometime, and that fact, together with his duty to his employers and his family, made him even more careful than he might have been. He was known as being one of the most expert engineers on the Chicago and Alton, when he was running on that road, but an ill fortune that was unexplainable seemed to follow him. Several times he was injured while in the discharge of his duty, and believing that his danger was minimized by taking a run on a short road like the Illinois Terminal, he entered its employ. William Yaeger was a pleasant, affable man, with the best of habits, sober, industrious and strictly honest in every transaction. His death leaves sore places not only in the hearts of his family, but in those of his friends, who had learned to regard him for his many good qualities. The funeral party arrived from Edwardsville at 10 o'clock. Accompanying the members of the family were many friends and relatives, and the party included the pallbearers, both active and honorary. The active pallbearers were Otto Flach, William Ash, Samuel Ash, John Runzie, John Curdie, George Long; the honorary pallbearers representing the Odd Fellows Lodge from Edwardsville were Frank Dietz, William Stulken, Fred Hanser, Thomas Cunningham, John James and James Brown. At the home in Edwardsville, brief services were conducted by Rev. Elisha Stafford of the Edwardsville Presbyterian church. Rev. Mr. Stafford accompanied the party to Alton and conducted the funeral services at the home of Frank Yaeger. Among those who attended the funeral were Joseph Berner, A. W. Kinney, Mr. and Mrs. John Baum of Bloomington, Edward Yaeger and Mrs. Frank Klatt of Lincoln, Will Berner of Chicago.  Mr. Yaeger was born in Alton and was the son of Mrs. Jacob Goehringer of Alton. He leaves two brothers, Frank of Alton and Gus of St. Louis, and two half-brothers, Leo and Julius Goehringer.



YAGER, ADA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 24, 1901

Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Yager have the sympathy of their many friends in the loss of their infant daughter, Ada, whose death occurred Monday morning. Rev. Edwin Harris conducted the funeral service from the Presbyterian church Tuesday morning.



YAGER, J. H. (ATTORNEY)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 9, 1911          

The funeral of Hon. J. H. Yager was held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family residence, Ninth and Langdon streets. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. F. S. Dunham of the Oak Park, Ill., Unitarian church. There was a large attendance of friends and relatives at the funeral, and a big representation of Madison county lawyers who were notified of the death of the dean of the Bar Association of the county. The musical numbers were sung by Mrs. Otto Kramer and Miss Minnie Boals.....The Circuit Court at Edwardsville and the City Court at Granite City were adjourned today out of respect for Mr. Yager, and there was a good sized attendance of attorneys at the funeral. Judge Hadley was among those present. Today was the day for attending the dedication of the new court house at Belleville, but the Madison county bar decided to show their respect for Mr. Yager by attending his funeral. A beautiful floral piece was given by the Madison county bar.



YEAKEL, GEORGE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 21, 1907

George Yeakel, an insurance and real estate man, a brother of Carl F. Yeakel, the well known insurance and real estate agent, died suddenly Tuesday night about 10 o'clock at his home, 345 Henry street. Mr. Yeakel was in his usual good health last night at supper time, and for a few hours thereafter. About 9:30 he complained of feeling ill, and as the illness continued to grow more acute one of his daughters called for Dr. Bowman. Mr. Yeakel had been struck by heart disease, however, and nothing could be done for him. He was 52 years old and is survived by two daughters. His mother, three sisters, and a brother also survive. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon from the home where services will be conducted by the Rev. Ernest Mueller. Mr. Yeakel's is the second sudden death in that block in the past few months, that of E. Lippoldt being the other.



YENNEY, EARL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, September 2, 1919              2 Alton Boys Killed at Rail Crossing

Two Alton boys, Earl Yenney and Harold Collins, both 18 years old, were killed Sunday morning at Monroe, Mich., when their automobile was struck by a fast train on a railroad crossing. The bodies of the two boys will be brought here for burial Wednesday. Mr. and Mrs. August Beineke of Detroit were seriously injured.  All the parties in the accident were formerly of Alton and well known here. The two boys, until a year ago, were employed at the plant of the Brokaw-Eden Company in Alton. Mr. Beineke was a glassworker. The message received have but meager details of the accident. It was known to their relatives in Alton that the four mentioned, with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Yenney, formerly of Alton, were planning an automobile trip from Detroit to Cleveland, during the weekend and over Labor Day. Apparently the accident occurred enroute. Mrs. Frank Yenney was the sister of Collins. Yenney's parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Yenney, now make their home in Detroit, as do his brothers, Albert, Russell and Frank. A brother, Charles, and a sister, Mrs. Charles Godfrey, live in St. Louis. Another brother, Chester, is in Cleveland, O. He has other relatives in Alton. Collins' mother, Mrs. Charles Suess, lives at 715 Clement Place in Alton. His mother, who has been seriously ill and recently underwent a surgical operation, was expecting him home on a visit after he had completed this trip. It was a double shock to her as Mr. Beineke is her brother. He leaves a sister, Mrs. Frank Yenney, in Detroit, and a brother, W. C. Collins, in St. Louis. Both the killed and injured had many friends in Alton. The message telling of the injury of Mr. and Mrs. Beineke described his injuries as serious. The fact that Mr. and Mrs. Frank Yenney decided not to come on with the bodies, but to stay there with the Beineke couple, indicates to relatives here that Mrs. Beineke must be in a bad way. Messages asking as to his condition were dispatched Monday, as there was deep interest in the chances of the Beineke couple recovering. The funeral of Earl Yenney will be tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Twelfth Street Presbyterian church, where services will be conducted by the Rev. E. C. Combrink, pastor of the church, and interment will be in the City cemetery.



YERKES, TITIS PAUL (DOCTOR)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 28, 1913                      Upper Alton Physician Dies From Old Age

Dr. T. P. Yerkes, for over fifty years a successful, skillful physician and surgeon, died Thursday afternoon at his residence in Upper Alton, aged 77. His end was expected as he had been very ill for many months and confined to his home all of the time. He had been looking forward to an early close of his life, as his knowledge as a doctor made him realize that his end was not far off. He had been seeing many of his old friends and had been saying farewell to them, with the full knowledge that his end was near. Dr. Yerkes was known for the tenderness of his heart, his invariable good humor, his quick wit, and an unfailing skill in repartee. In all these he excelled quite as well as he did as a physician, and there was no doctor in Alton who had a better reputation for skill in his profession than did he. In the more than fifty years he had been engaged in his professional work in Alton, Dr. Yerkes had endeared himself to many families where he had entrance, and there is a very large number of his former patients who sincerely mourn his death. An interesting fact was that Dr. Yerkes had as his principal rival in the affections of the people of his community Dr. E. C. Lemen, who died recently, and whose death was a sad shock to Dr. Yerkes. The two "rivals" in their professional work knew no real rivalry. They were close intimate friends and comrades. They lived on opposite sides of the street, close to each other, and co-operated in their work. Each recommended the other wherever possible, and the code of professional ethics was one of personal friendship.  Titus Paul Yerkes was born in Philadelphia, December 24, 1836. He came to Illinois when 16 years of age and settled at Metamora, and in 1861 he took up a classical course at Shurtleff College. He began, in the same year, his studies at the Rush Medical College, and completed them in 1864. The same year he was appointed surgeon at Camp Butler at Springfield, in which capacity he remained until the close of the Civil War. He then came back to Alton and settled down to the practice of his profession. He was married to Miss Susetta B. Bostwick, June 30, 1863, while he was still a medical student. She died December 26, 1910. Dr. Yerkes leaves one son, Dr. L. L. Yerkes, his successor in his practice, and two daughters, Mrs. Tracey Thomas and Mrs. C. E. Chamblin. He leaves also a sister, Mrs. Maggie Taylor, who arrived from Los Angeles, Cal., Wednesday, in time to see her brother alive. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home. The burial will be under the auspices of Franklin Lodge, No. 25, A. F. & A. M., of which the deceased was one of the oldest and, for many years, most active members. The Masonic services will be conducted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, a lifelong and intimate friend of the family.


Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 1, 1913

The funeral of Dr. T. P. Yerkes was held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the family home, corner of Washington avenue and Edwards street. The service at the house was conducted by Rev. J. C. Clark, an old friend of the deceased. Notwithstanding the unfavorable weather Sunday afternoon, the attendance at the funeral was large, especially at the house. Probably few other individuals in Alton had as large a number of personal friends as did Dr. Yerkes, and this fact was emphasized by the large number of people who went to his old home to pay the last tribute of respect to him. Rev. Dr. Clark's discourse was short and simple, and was a beautiful tribute to the departed physician. The floral offerings were beautiful and extensive. In taking the flowers to the cemetery, an undertaking wagon was loaded with them, but the vehicle would not hold them all and the rest of the flowers were taken in the carriages by those going to the cemetery. The Masonic order, headed by the Belvidere Commandery Knights Templar, escorted the funeral procession to Oakwood cemetery. Dr. H. T. Burnap, Grand Master, took charge of the funeral at the cemetery. Dr. Burnap gave, in addition to the Masonic ritual, a personal tribute to the life of Dr. Yerkes on account of a long number of years friendship to him and his family. Dr. Burnap's address was an eloquent one and most fitting to the occasion. At the close of the services at the grave, "Taps" was blown by two cadets of the Western Military Academy, one bugler standing at the head of the grave. As he blew a phrase of "Taps," the other bugler in a distant part of the cemetery answered the phrase with an echo. The grave was covered with beautiful flowers.



YOMBIK, STEVE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 2, 1920

The funeral of Steve Yombik, who fell at the Gissal quarry on Wednesday and was fatally injured, was held this afternoon from St. Mary's Church at 3:30 o'clock. The late hour for the funeral was set because of the difficulty in the way of digging a grave in the frozen ground. A son of Yombik, his namesake, was here from Detroit to look after the funeral and make such arrangements about winding up his father's estate as could be done. The son said that his father leaves a wife and eight children in Austria. The son said that he would return to Detroit after the funeral. Yombik was a man who was highly thought of among his fellow countrymen, and he is said to have been a man with a very kind heart who was always ready to do for his fellow countrymen. Many acts of kindness he did to others were being told after he was killed.



YOUNG, ANTON/Source: Edwardsville Intelligencer, Wednesday, January 6, 1892

The body of Anton Young was found horribly mangled near the Big Four track near Edwardsville Crossing, New Year's morning. He and his sisters and brothers attended a dance near Comstock the night before. They, in company with the operator at Comstock, started for home early in the morning, walking up the track. When about a half mile above Edwardsville Crossing, Young fell back of the party and sat on the track. The operator, noticing his absence, and knowing that a train would soon be along, went back and urged Young to follow. Young said he would get up and come. The operator paid no more attention to him and left. Young was struck by a C. B. & Q freight train which passed a few minutes later. Coroner Bonner held an inquest. The evidence did not show that Young had been drinking, but it is thought that he had.



YOUNG, EDWARD/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 31, 1903

The funeral of Edward Young, who died Thursday morning, was held this afternoon from the family home in East Alton to Milton cemetery. Mr. Young was a resident of Upper Alton for many years.



YOUNG, HENRY J./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 5, 1904

Mr. Henry J. Young, a well known and extremely well liked glassblower, died Monday morning at his home, 735 east Sixth street after an illness since last Wednesday night of pneumonia. He came to Alton from the east in 1880, and learned his trade at the Illinois glass factory where he always worked. His age was 46 years, 5 months and 18 days. He leaves a wife and two children, William and Bessie. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.



YOUNG, KATIE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 4, 1910         

Miss Katie Young, aged 18, died Friday morning at the family home on Spring street after an illness of only a few days. She was taken sick Wednesday night with pneumonia. Miss Young was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Young, the father being a well known butcher. Beside her parents, Miss Young leaves a brother and two sisters, Mrs. Oscar Tonsor and Miss Bertha Young. Her death was very unexpected. Although it was known she was very ill, the shortness of time between her being taken ill and her death did not give the parents any reason for fearing that the outcome of her illness would be as it was. She was a half-sister of Paul Lampert. The funeral will be Sunday afternoon from St. Mary's church.



YOUNG, M. G./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 23, 1919

Mrs. M. G. Young, aged 76, died last night at the Nazareth Home. Mrs. Young has been at the Home for a year, and so far as known has no close relatives. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.



YOUNG, MARTHA/Source: Alton Telegraph, November 20, 1846

Died in Smooth Prairie [Fosterburg], Madison County, on the 17th inst., Mrs. Martha Young, consort of John C. Young, Esq., aged 37 years. Mrs. Young was a devoted follower of Christ, and died rejoicing in the Christian's hope. She has left a devoted husband and seven children to mourn her loss, but "they mourn not as those who have no hope," "for blessed are the dead who died in the Lord."



YOUNG, MATILDA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 13, 1904

Mrs. Matilda Young, widow of Henry Young who died one week ago Monday, died from pneumonia Tuesday morning at 5:30 o'clock at the family home, Sixth and Ridge streets. Mrs. Young assisted in nursing her husband through his illness from pneumonia and immediately after his death she was stricken with the same disease and was unable to attend the funeral. The grief she felt over her husband's untimely death, together with the ravages of the disease from which she suffered, proved too much for her and she passed away early Tuesday morning after great suffering. Mrs. Young leaves two children who are thus deprived by death of both their father and their mother, and in their double affliction within eight days they have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. Mr. Young was an excellent father and man of excellent habits. The mother was entirely devoted to her family. The funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon from the family home at 2 o'clock, and services will be conducted by Rev. W. F. Isler of the German Methodist church.



YOUNG, MURIEL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 9, 1897

Muriel, the four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Young, died Friday night, after a short sickness with congestion of the brain. The funeral took place Saturday afternoon from the church to Milton cemetery, and was attended by numerous people who thus attested their sympathy for the afflicted family.



YOUNG, SAMUEL A./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 23, 1917               Death of Old Time Railroad Man

Samuel A. Young, for many years a passenger conductor on the Wabash and the Burlington railroads, died at his home, 917 Alton street, Monday evening at 8:30 o'clock, from the grippe. He had been in bad health since last summer, and an attack of the grippe added to the maladies which had already weakened him, proved fatal. Mr. Young lived in Alton many years ago, and after an absence of a long time he came back here three years ago to engage in business. He started the Alton Rapid Service Co., and he made a reputation for quick deliveries. He continued in this business with much success until ill health forced his retirement, and he sold out December 1. Since then he was confined to his home much of the time. Mr. Young was born in Gelena, Ill., January 10, 1856. He spent his early life in St. Louis and Alton and he was married here February 18, 1880, to Lucy E. Tindall of Upper Alton. He is survived by his wife and two children, George A. Young and Mrs. Frank Hopkins. He leaves also three brothers, J. J. Young of St. Louis, W. A. Young of Minneapolis and Capt. E. D. Young of Alton, and two sisters, Mrs. P. T. Whelan of St. Louis and Mrs. C. J. McCombs of Marshalltown, Iowa. During the period Mr. Young was a railroad conductor he worked 20 years for the Wabash railroad and nine years for the Burlington. He was a devoted member of the Masonic fraternity and the burial will be under Masonic auspices. The funeral will be held Thursday morning at 9:30 o'clock from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hopkins, 903 Alton street. Rev. E. L. Gibson will have charge of the funeral services.



YOUNGBERG, AUGUST/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 27, 1904

August Youngberg, aged 52, died Saturday morning at 9 o'clock after a week's illness with typhoid fever at his home in Clement place. Mr. Youngberg's death was a surprise to his friends who did not know his illness had taken such a serious turn. He had lived in Alton all his life and had been employed about thirty years at the Hapgood plow works, where he was a valued employee. He leaves his wife and six children. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the family home.



YOUNGBERG, ELLEN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 24, 1921

Mrs. Ellen Youngberg, widow of August Youngberg, died this morning at her home, 407 Grand avenue, after a long illness. She had been bedfast the last two weeks of her life, but for months she had been failing in strength because of a paralysis that was continually extending its scope. Mrs. Youngberg was born in the city of Alton, August 16, 1859, and had spent all of her life in this city. Her maiden name was Mook. Mr. Youngberg died a number of years ago, leaving her a family of children. She is survived by four sons, Fred, Charles, Philip and Julius, and two daughters, Miss Nellie Youngberg and Mrs. Florence Welheart. She leaves also three brothers, Charles, James and Emil Mook; and one sister, Miss Flora Mook. Mrs. Youngberg had many friends in Alton who have been watching with interest the progress of the malady, especially in the last two weeks of her life when she began to manifest symptoms of rapid decline.



YOUNGBLOOD, ED/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 4, 1898

Ed Youngblood, a well known resident of North Alton, killed himself at noon today by firing a pistol ball into his brain. He had been despondent for some time because of financial troubles and had been drinking heavily. Shortly after dinner today he went into his bedroom and laying down on the floor placed the pistol muzzle over his right eye and pulled the trigger. The ball lodges in the base of the brain in the back of his head, causing almost instant death. The family hurried to the room at hearing the shot and found him in death agony. Dr. Worden was summoned, but Youngblood was dead when he arrived. He has a wife and four small children and was only 36 years of age. Coroner Bailey was sent for and went out to hold an inquest. A jury was impanelled, an inquest held and a verdict of suicide was found in accordance with facts related above.



YOUNGBLOOD, ELIZABETH/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 28, 1914

Mrs. Elizabeth Youngblood, wife of Jacob Youngblood, aged 60, died this afternoon at 515 William street after a long illness. She leaves seven children. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Russel Wolf.



YOUNGBLOOD, GEORGE H./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 8, 1900

Mr. George H. Youngblood, a well known citizen of North Alton, died at the family home Friday evening at 6:20, aged 70 years. Mr. Youngblood was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, and came to this country when 13 years of age and settled in New Jersey. The following year he came west and took up his residence near Elsah on a farm. In 1880 he moved his family to Joplin, Mo., where he started a livery stable. Later he returned to North Alton, and lived there the last ten years of his life. Twelve years ago he was stricken with paralysis as the result of being shot during the war while attempting to arrest some Knights of the Golden Circle near Newbern. Mr. Youngblood was then a constable. He became helpless during the last years of his life. He leaves eight children, five sons and three daughters, all grown: George, Louis, William, Jacob and Frank Youngblood, of North Alton; Mrs. Albert Carman of Joplin, Mo.; Mrs. J. M. Robinson of Texas; and Mrs. Richard Strong of North Alton. The funeral will be from the family home on Sunday to the Evangelical church, services will be held at both places, and interment will be in City Cemetery.



YOUNGBLOOD, LAURA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 13, 1918

Mrs. Laura Youngblood, wife of Adolph Youngblood, died last night at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Pillsbury, on Central avenue, from influenza. Her husband is in the United States Navy, and in addition she is survived by two children, one 3 years old, the other a year old. Her parents and some brothers and sisters survive. She was a member of Bluff City Court of Honor. The funeral will be tomorrow and will be private. When the United States went to war Mrs. Youngblood's husband decided that it was his duty to go into the navy. He sought a release from the Exemption Board, saying his wife was willing for him to go and leave her with their two children. He was told his wife would have to come to the board and make her acquiescence known, and she did. She expressed herself as being perfectly willing to assume the responsibility of taking care of the children. She said she could work, and that she believed, with what he would send her, she would be able to "get by." The same view was held by Youngblood. Finally the husband and father got the desired release, he joined the navy and has been in service on a torpedo boat. The family were trying today to get into touch with the husband to inform him that the two little children he left at home are motherless. It is a case of a woman of intense patriotism being willing to send her husband into the navy, where he had once served a term of enlistment, to do his part in the great war for his country and his country's flag. Mrs. Youngblood manifested the utmost willingness to deny herself and to perform any work she could get to help keep her little family while the husband and father was in the service. Recently Youngblood came home on a furlough and at a meeting in Washington School which he attended, he made a short talk in which he thanked the people for being kind to his wife and children, and helping them to "get by."



YOUNGWORTH, JOSEPH A./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 7, 1901         Found Dead in Bed

J. A. Youngworth, an old resident of Bethalto, was found dead in bed at his home Sunday. He was 81 years of age and had been unwell for a day or so. Mrs. Youngworth was up often during the night waiting on him, and at last fell into a sleep that lasted until 11 o'clock Sunday. She thought then her husband was sick, the idea of death never entering her head. She prepared breakfast and waited for him to get up. A son, Frank, called shortly afternoon and discovered the truth. Deputy Coroner Streeper held an inquest and a verdict of death from natural causes was rendered.


Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 11, 1901

Bethalto News - Mr. Joseph Youngwirth was found dead in bed Sunday afternoon about 3 o'clock. He was last seen alive by his wife at 11, when she prepared something for him to eat, which he refused to eat. He fell into a sleep from which he never awoke, and death came without a struggle, from the fact that he lay in bed just as if asleep. Deputy Coroner Streeper was notified, selected the jury and they, with their foreman 'Squire Piggott,' returned a verdict of death from feebleness. The funeral was conducted from the Catholic church by Rev. Fr. Meyers of Mitchell, on Tuesday. He was born in Bohemia, Germany, was 84 years of age, and lived in this village 47 years, was married twice, his last wife still survives him. Immanuel and Mary of Kansas City, and Ferdinand of Chicago attended the funeral. John and Tony being unable to get here. Thus another landmark has been laid to rest.


Back to the Top



ZABEL, FRANCIS H. (REVEREND)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 24, 1920        Pioneer Priest Dies Here Today

Very Rev. Francis H. Zabel, D. D., a pioneer priest and dean in the diocese of Alton, died shortly after 7 o'clock this morning at his home on Danforth street, after a long illness. His condition has been serious for some time and his death was expected. He was 81 years old. Dean Zabel came to Alton about six years ago to become Chaplain at the Ursuline Novitiate on Danforth street, and has remained here since that time. He was a talented musician and a linguist of note. While living near the Novitiate he taught music and languages to the Novices. He also directed the choir, which is noted for its music. He was born February 19, 1839, at Erbeville, near Nancy, France. He was ordained a priest in Rome, September 20, 1861, by Cardinal Patrize, and came to this country shortly afterwards. He held several pastorates in the Alton Diocese, including Springfield, East St. Louis, Cairo and Bunker Hill. He came to Alton from Bunker Hill. He was a member of Alton Council, Knights of Columbus. In 1911 he celebrated his golden anniversary of priesthood in the Immaculate Conception church in Springfield. Fr. Zabel and Rev. Hoven celebrated the golden anniversary at the same ceremony. Rev. Hoven died some time ago. The funeral will be held Tuesday morning at St. Peter and Paul's Cathedral, with Pontificial High Mass, the office of the dead beginning at 9 o'cvlock, with Rt. Rev. J. J. Ryan, D. D., Bishop of Alton as celebrant of the mass. The assisting priest will be the REv. Msgr. T. Hickey V. G., of Springfield, or the Rev. Msgr. E. L. Spalding of the Cathedral. The deans of honor, Rev. Joseph Meckel of St. Mary's church, Alton, and Rev. C. Johannes of Nokomis, Ill. The deacon of the mass, Rev. E. B. Kehoe of St. Patrick's church, Alton, and the sub-deacon, Rev. D. J. Ryan of Granite City. Rev. M. A. Tarrant and Rev. M. Costello of the Cathedral will be Masters of Ceremonies, and Rev. E. J. Eckhard of Edwardsville and Rev. H. B. Schnelton of St. Mary's church, Alton, Cantores. Rev. Spalding will preach the funeral sermon. Dean Zabel is survived by a brother and distant relatives in France. Monday afternoon at three o'clock the body will be removed to the Cathedral where it will lie in state until the Pontifical Mass Tuesday morning. Friends can view the remains at the church. There will be a special meeting of the Alton Council of the Knights of Columbus tonight, to take action in regard to the death of Father Zabel. The meeting has been called for 7:30 in the club rooms in the Spalding building.



ZAKRZESURKI, HELEN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 24, 1922          Child Rescues Mother From Fire, Is Fatally Burned Herself

Helen Zakrzesurki, 9 years, 11 months of age, died in St. Joseph's hospital Saturday afternoon from the effects of burns she suffered as the result of the explosion of a can of stove polish she had been using on a stove at the family home in Wood River. The burning of the child was the result of the near burning of the mother, Mrs. Lottie Zarzesurki. The mother was clearing up the home and had put some trash in a stove to burn it. The trash flared out and setting fire to the mother's sleeve, started to burn her. The mother's cries attracted the attention of the girl who was in the next room polishing a stove, and using the can of polish. The girl rushed in, set the can of polish on the stove in which the fire was burning, and helped her mother. The can of polish became hot, blew up, and scattered the burning ???? over the girl. Her clothing caught fire and before anything could be done for her, she was burned fatally. The child was hurried to St. Joseph's hospital where she died a few hours later. The body will be buried in St. Louis tomorrow.



ZELLERMAN, AUGUST/Source: The Alton Telegraph, Tuesday, July 13, 1937/Date of Death: July 11, 1937
Funeral services for August Zellermann, retired farmer of the Oldenburg community, who died Sunday at age of 80 years, have been set for Wednesday. The funeral cortage will leave the Lahey funeral home in Madison at 8:30 a.m. for rites at 9 a.m. in St. Elizabeth's church at Mitchell. Burial will follow in St. Joseph's cemetery in Alton. Zellermann, who was born at Oldenburg in 1857 and farmed all his active life in that vicinity, died in St. Elizabeth's hospital in Granite City where he was received seven weeks ago following a cerebral hemorrhage. He had retired from active farming in 1914, and his home in declining years of life was with his daughter, Mrs. Mary Frizzell at Nameoki. His wife, Mrs. Catherine Zellermann, died six years ago. Surviving him in addition to Mrs. Frizzell are his daughter, Mrs. Lena Troeckler of Mitchell; and three sons, Joseph of Quincy, John of Edwardsville, and Ben Zellermann of Nameoki; also 17 grandchildren. He leaves, as well, two sisters, Mrs. Frances Vorwald of Granite City, and Mrs. Anna Hackethal of East Alton.



ZEPP, UNKNOWN WIFE OF WILLIAM J./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 15, 1909

The funeral of Mrs. William J. Zepp was held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Congregational church at Sixth and Henry street. Services were conducted by Rev. A. G. Lane of the First Presbyterian church. There were many friends and relatives of Mrs. Zepp at the funeral. The ladies of the Maccabees attended to show their respect for their deceased sister.



ZERWAS, HENRIETTA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 9, 1904

Mrs. Fritz Zerwas died Tuesday evening at her home in Riverview addition, after a long illness with a complication of diseases. She was 42 years of age and leaves a husband and eight children. She was a daughter of Mrs. M. Wannamacher of the Grafton road, and her mother and brothers survive. She was widely known and well liked and respected for her kindly, charitable disposition. The funeral will be Thursday morning from the Cathedral.


Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 10, 1904

The funeral of Mrs. Henrietta Zerwas, wife of Fritz Zerwas, was held this morning from the Cathedral.  Interment was made at Greenwood cemetery.



ZERWAS, NICHOLAS/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 1, 1900

Nicholas Zerwas died at the home of his son, Nicholas Zerwas Jr., at North Alton yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock. He had been in feeble health for a number of years and has been blind the last five years of his life. Mr. Zerwas was born in Germany 88 years ago, and came to this country in the early part of his life, settling in Alton, where he followed the baking trade for some time. Later he moved to Arkansas, but for the past six years has made his home in North Alton. He leaves six children: Miss Kate Zerwas of Monroe County; Peter Zerwas of Nokomis; Mrs. Teresa Rosing and Mrs. C. Engel of Shoal Creek, Arkansas; and Fred and Nicholas Zerwas of North Alton. The funeral will take place Thursday morning from St. Mary's church.



ZERWAS, VERNA (nee MEYER)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 24, 1920

Mrs. Verna Meyer Zerwas, wife of Fred Zerwas Jr., died of uraemic poisoning at the home of her mother, Mrs. Ann Meyer, on West Elm street, this morning at 7:30 o'clock. Mrs. Zerwas, who was 29 years of age April 21, had been in poor health for the past three weeks, and was moved from her home on the Grafton road to that of her mother's in the hope that the change would be beneficial and where she could be given closer care by members of her family. She leaves besides her husband, one little son, Paul, aged 20 months; her mother; one sister, Mildred; and three brothers; Chris, Harry L. and Dr. O. A. Meyer; besides many other relatives. Mrs. Zerwas was the youngest daughter of the late Peter Meyer, who died about four years ago, and his wife, Mrs. Anna Meyer. She was born and reared in the country north of Alton, coming to Alton with her parents when they moved on Elm street. She had a winning way and was much loved by all who knew her well. She was married July 10, 1917 to Mr. Fred Zerwas Jr., and lived a happy life in their new home on the Grafton road. Because of her amicable disposition and many admirable qualities, Mrs. Zerwas was a great favorite in the North Side, and the news of her death was the cause of great sadness in a wide circle of friends. It was not generally known that her condition was so bad, and until the last there was hopes of a change for the better setting in. The body of Mrs. Zerwas will remain at the home of the mother, where friends may see it. The funeral services will be held from the SS Peter and Paul's Cathedral Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock.



ZIATARI, GEORGE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 22, 1907       Dead Hungarian Photographed in Casket

George Ziatari, a young Hungarian who had been employed at the Standard Oil refinery site, died Sunday night at St. Joseph's hospital and was buried Monday afternoon in Greenwood cemetery after services were conducted in St. Patrick's church by Rev. Francis Kehoe and two priests from St. Mary's church. The dead youth was 21 years old, and died from brain paralysis. Relatives and countrymen attended the funeral, and the interpreter had C. O. Howard, the photographer, go to the church and take some pictures of the dead man, the coffin, the priests and pallbearers. The latter were Hungarians and their photographs will be recognized by people in the old country. The dead man's face was pictured perfectly by Mr. Howard, and the photographs will be sent "back home," the interpreter said, one of them going to the mother of deceased, the others to relatives. He said also that the youth belonged to a society which paid death benefits for families of deceased members, and the photographs of the casket, etc., were necessary to establish the death claim.



ZIEGENFUSS, EARL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 8, 1921

The funeral services of Earl Ziegenfuss will be held Saturday afternoon at two o'clock from the family home at 1216 Victory street. Interment in the City Cemetery.



ZIEGENFUSS, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, September 24, 1904

William Ziegenfuss, who was stricken with paralysis at St. Joseph's hospital Friday morning, died at 7:30 o'clock Friday night after a short illness. He was stricken with paralysis and did not rally. Mr. Ziegenfuss was 84 years of age and had lived in Alton many years. He is survived by two children, William Ziegenfuss and Mrs. John Aldinger, and an adopted son, John Bauer. For some time Mr. Ziegenfuss had been an inmate of the hospital, although not very ill. He was a native of Germany. The body was taken to the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Aldinger, 637 east Fourth street. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock from St. Mary's church, and burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery.



ZIEGLER, FLORENCE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 10, 1912

Miss Florence Ziegler, aged 21, died Monday night at 10:15 o'clock at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ziegler, 1220 east Third street. The young woman had been ill for a long time, and some time ago she made a trip to Colorado in the hope that her health would be benefited. The change did her no permanent good, and she returned to Alton. She was formerly employed as a stenographer in the office of S. F. Connor. The funeral will be held Thursday morning and services will be in St. Patrick's church.



ZIMMER, BERNARD/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, June 4, 1918

Fearing that the news of the death of her husband might be fatal to Mrs. Bernard Zimmer, critically ill at her home on Highland avenue, the death of Bernard Zimmer, a bricklayer, was not announced to the wife this morning, although she learned later that he had succumbed. Zimmer's body was removed to the William H. Bauer undertaking rooms. Plans for the funeral have not been completed. Zimmer was 35 years old. He had been ill for several months with a complication of diseases. Mrs. Zimmer is seriously ill and it is feared she cannot recover. It was thought that her end would be hastened if she learned of her husband's death, but efforts to keep the news from her failed. Mr. Zimmer died in a room adjoining that in which his wife lies ill. Owing to the condition of Mrs. Zimmer, the funeral will be from the Bauer undertaking rooms at 8:30 a.m. Thursday to St. Patrick's Church.



ZIMMER, UNKNOWN WIFE OF MARTIN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 6, 1912

Mrs. Martin Zimmer died very suddenly this morning from heart failure while hunting for a house. She was across the street from St. Joseph's hospital, resting, when she suddenly collapsed. She had evidently experienced a new attack of heart trouble, and had sat down until she could recover her breath. She was noticed by a son of Magnus Steiner, who called his father and carried Mrs. Zimmer to the hospital. A doctor was summoned, but Mrs. Zimmer was dead before anything could be done for her. Mrs. Zimmer was accompanied, at the time of her death, by her sister, Mrs. Myrtle Crossno. Mrs. Zimmer had gone to get a key to the house she was to inspect, and returning complained of feeling sick. She had suffered from heart trouble for eight months. Mrs. Zimmer was 34 years of age, and leaves her husband and one son, also her mother and three brothers, Edward, Walter and Elmer Crossno. The family came to Alton ten months ago. The husband is track foreman for the A. G. & StL. The body will be sent to Mt. Vernon, leaving Alton early Thursday morning.



ZIMMERMAN, FRANK/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 22, 1904

Frank Zimmerman, one of the best known river men in Alton, died Thursday night at St. Joseph's hospital after a long illness, in his 38th year. Mr. Zimmerman was a ship carpenter by trade, and for many years was employed on the Government fleet. Several years ago he began to suffer from severe headaches, and subsequently his trouble was diagnosed as a tumorous growth in his head. At times he was almost insane from suffering, and was at last removed to St. Joseph's hospital. A few days ago his eyesight failed from the growth inside his head. He leaves a wife and five children and four brothers, George, Joseph, John and William Zimmerman. He was a steady industrious man and was well liked by all who knew him. He was well known as a local politician. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home on Market street, near Tenth street.



ZIMMERMAN, HILKA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 12, 1901

Mrs. Hilka Zimmerman, widow of John Zimmerman, died Thursday afternoon at the family home near Moro after a long illness. She was the mother of a well known family and had lived near Moro many years. She had two children at home, Miss Hilka and William Zimmerman, and some children of mature years who have moved from Moro.



ZIMMERMAN, JOSEPHINE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 2, 1910

Mrs. Josephine Zimmerman died Thursday evening at the home of her son, John C. Ulrich, two miles east of Upper Alton. She had been ill for many years with an affliction of the liver, which caused her death. Mrs. Zimmerman was 77 years of age, having been born in Baden, Germany in 1833. She had resided in the Upper Alton district for over forty years, up to the time of her death, and was known as an active woman. She leaves two sons, John Ulrich, with whom she resided, and Otto Ulrich of St. Louis. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and her funeral will be held from the church of this denomination Monday morning at 10 o'clock. The remains will be buried in the Godfrey cemetery. Mrs. Zimmerman leaves three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.



ZIMMERMANN, AUGUST/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 15, 1919

The coroner's jury at the inquest into the death of August Zimmermann yesterday, returned a verdict of accidental death. The jury decided that death was due to an "unavoidable accident." Zimmerman was struck by an automobile driven by William Sunier on East Broadway between Henry and Langdon streets Monday, and was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he died early yesterday. Evidence of Arthur Johnson, who drove a car behind Sunier from the Elks to the scene of the accident, was that his speedometer registered 12 miles an hour at the time of the accident. Robert Collins, who was in the wagon from which the old man stepped before being struck by Sunier's car, testified he did not see the accident.



ZIMMERMAN, PAULINE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 30, 1922

Mrs. Pauline Zimmerman, widow of John Zimmerman, died this morning from old age at the Nazareth Home. She was 87 years of age and had lived in Alton forty-two years. Her death followed a long period of disability, due to her advanced age. She leaves a large number of descendants. Among them are three sons, William, George and Joseph, and one daughter, Mrs. Annie Bradley of Centerville, Ohio; also thirty-six grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren. Her husband died before she came to Alton. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Nazareth Home and burial will be in City Cemetery.



ZINI, LOUIS/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 10, 1921

A typical case of the old fashioned malignant flu was the cause of the death of Louis Zini, aged 38, a lead works employee who succumbed unexpectedly Sunday morning as he was being prepared to be moved to the hospital for treatment. Zini was taken sick five days before his death. On Saturday pneumonia developed and Sunday morning a consultation of doctors was held and it was decided to move him to the hospital. The ambulance was sent after him and he was being dressed for removal when his heart gave out and he died. The ambulance driver was told to go on without him. The death of Zini is another of the tragedies of the flu. He leaves a wife and five young children, the youngest of which was born eight days before the father died. Zini is said by those who knew him to have been a good father and husband and his death leaves the wife and five children in a bad way.



ZOELZER, FRED/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 24, 1907

Fred Zoelzer of Moro died last night at 11:30 o'clock at the family home from old age. He was 84 years and 2 months and 16 days. The funeral will be held Saturday morning at 11 o'clock from the German church on the Springfield road near Moro, Rev. Laatch officiating. Mr. Zoelzer came to America from Germany in 1856. He was twice married, leaving two sons and two daughters by his first marriage, F. C. Zoelzer and Henry Zoelzer, Mrs. Anna Backs and Mrs. Louis Schaake. He leaves two sons and one daughter by his second marriage, George, Charles and Mary, all living at Moro.



ZOLK, SEBASTIAN/Source: Highland Newspaper, Unknown date in 1904/Submitted by Karlheinz Zolk

Sebastian Zolk, an aged, well known and esteemed settler and resident of this vicinity, died suddenly of heart failure last Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. He was in good spirits and about his usual work when the final summons came without warning. Mr. Zolk was born April 25, 1831, in Langenbruecken, Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, and had thus attained the age of 72 yrs., 11 months, and 20 days. He came to this country in 1852, landing in New York, whence he went to Chicago. At the latter place he was employed in building a bridge across the Illinois River for the Ill. Central RR. and shortly thereafter left for Highland, where he engaged in farming near St. Morgan. Here he was married to Miss Emansia Gundli, which union was blessed with two children, of whom one died in infancy. His first wife preceded in death in 1860, and in Dec. 1861 Mr. Zolk married a second time, his choice for this marriage being Miss Rosa Rall, who survives him. Eleven children were the fruitage of this union, seven of them living today, three having died in infancy, and one, Miss Louisa Zolk, departed this life some years ago at the age of twenty-eight. Mr. Zolk, the subject of this sketch, also lived for a short time in Clinton County, near Breese. For 25 years he occupied a farm south of here, between this city and St. Morgan, until in 1893 he bought the old Bosshardt place just south of Highland, where he was engaged as a wine grower up to his end. Besides his sorrowing wife he leaves eight children and ten grandchildren, and numerous more distant relatives, as well as a large circle of friends and acquaintances. The children are: Mrs. Kate Klute of St. Louis from the first marriage, and from the second the following: Mrs. Mary Bonacker and Frank Zolk of Highland; Wendlyn Zolk of St. Louis, and John Zolk, Miss Lena Zolk, Mrs. Emma (John) Zimmerman and Eddie Zolk, all of Highland. The funeral, in charge of Chas. Schiettinger, took place last Sat. forenoon, services being held in St. Paul's church at 10 o'clock after which the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery. The pallbearers were: Messrs. Adam Keilbach, Thomas Litz, John Zimmermann Sr., J. H. Leef, Louis Lehmann and Joseph Widmer.



ZOOK, JOHN (alias ALBERT MURPHEY)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 13, 1907            Brakeman Falls Under His Train at Lockhaven

John Zook, alias Albert Murphey, a brakeman on the C. P. & St. L railroad, fell under his train the other side of Lockhaven Saturday night, and both of his legs were severed from his body between the knees and hips. Zook is in a critical condition at the St. Joseph's hospital where he was taken, and cannot possibly recover. Zook had a terrible experience according to his own story. He was in the act of jumping from a box car to a flat car loaded with lumber when he missed his footing, and landed on the end of a board which sprung him into the air and allowed him to fall down between the cars onto the track. Zook stated that he knew he was under the train and tried to get his head under the wheels so that he would meet death and not be a terrible cripple. He will probably realize his wish in this respect anyway, as he cannot recover. Zook's cries were heard by the other trainmen and he was picked up and sent back to Alton on the evening passenger train. He gave his name as Albert Murphy at the time, but at the hospital told the physicians that his name was John Zook, and asked that they notify his mother and sister in Indianapolis, Ind.  When the injured man was picked up his two limbs were completely severed from his body, several cars having passed over them. Zook died at 12 o'clock today after suffering intensely for many hours. It was his wish he die, one of the horrors of his railroad life having been that he would some day lose his limbs in a wreck.


Back to the top

Copyright Bev Bauser.  All rights reserved.