Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind


Obituaries - Surname I

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser



IEPPERT, GEORGE W./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 20, 1918
Just what caused the death of George W. Ieppert, who died Saturday from the effects of injuries he sustained a week before in the east end of Alton, caused the coroner's jury to be puzzled. Deputy Coroner Bauer had three theories to investigate. One was that Ieppert was hit with a brick and that he had quarreled with two men. The two men denied that they had trouble of so serious a character with Ieppert. Another theory was that he might have been hurt by an automobile. Two men told Officer Mayford that they saw Ieppert struck by a Ford automobile. Still a third theory is that Ieppert fell down and struck his head on a large stone that was lying where he was picked up. Ieppert was never able to give information as to how he got hurt. The mystery surrounding the cause of Ieppert's death was not cleared by a coroner's jury, which held an inquest over the body this morning, in charge of Deputy Coroner William H. Bauer. A verdict that the deceased came to his death by an "injury in the head; cause unknown," was returned. Two witnesses were examined, Garriott D. Ieppert, a brother of the dead man, and George Hohnsbehn, but their testimony was not sufficient to cause any arrests to be made in connection with the death. The police theory is that Ieppert was accidentally killed by an automobile. A large deep gash extending in a half circle from the top of his forehead to his left cheek, and bruises on his breast indicate that he did not meet with foul play and seems to strengthen the supposition that he was the victim of an accident, the extent nature of which has not been determined. Ieppert was 29 years old and unmarried. He was a laborer. surviving him are his parents and three brothers. The funeral will be from the Ieppert residence Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and the burial will be in Milton Cemetery at East Alton.


Photo of Doctor Alfred J. IhneIHNE, ALFRED J. (DOCTOR)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 3, 1912
Young Fosterburg Doctor Dies
An interesting incident in the life of the physicians who have been attending Dr. A. J. Ihne has been the careful watch they have seen Dr. Ihne keep on the evidences of the ebbing of his life's strength. Dr. Ihne, who is at St. Joseph's hospital dying from peritonitis following an attack of appendicitis, was a physician of more than the usual ability of those found in rural communities. He was a man well versed in medicine and surgery, and when it came time for himself to enter the valley of the shadows, he cooly watched the approach of the shadow and marked its gradually lessening distance from him. Watching his own pulse beats, keeping notice of his increasing weakness, the surgeon commented on the changes for the worse. This afternoon he was in a very bad way, and his life could not last more than a few hours, it was said, owing to the increase in the area affected by peritonitis. It was an inspiring sight to see the doctor die, and one that affected deeply those who watched his calm view of the approach of what he knew was certain death. Dying by inches, the young doctor who might have made a high mark in the world, realized that there was no human power that could long protract his life, yet as a man who would measure the drops of blood pouring from a blood vessel in his person, he was helpless to stop, he watch his approaching end.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 5, 1912
Dr. A. J. Ihne died Thursday morning at 5 o'clock in St. Joseph's hospital from peritonitis, aged 34. His death followed a period of unconsciousness into which he dropped Wednesday afternoon. up to the time that he became unconscious, Dr. Ihne had kept close watch on the progress of his disease, and realized that he was rapidly slipping away as his medical and surgical knowledge told him that his end was surely near. He is survived by his wife, who with his sister, Miss Marie Ihne, and other relatives, were at the bedside in the hospital when death came. The body was taken to Fosterburg yesterday afternoon, and the funeral will be there Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Dr. Ihne leaves besides his wife, three brothers, Robert Ihne of Davenport, Ia.; William of Newkirk, Okla.; Henry of Iowa; and four sisters, Mrs. Mary Hunter of Newkirk, Okla.; Mrs. Addie Brenker of Bunker Hill; Mrs. Myrtle Shawhan of Table Rock, Neb.; and Miss Clara Ihne of Fosterburg.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 8, 1912
The funeral of Dr. A. J. Ihne was held on the lawn of his beautiful home in Fosterburg yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Benjamin Feiselmann of the Presbyterian church officiating. The casket surrounded by a profusion of beautiful floral emblems was placed on the front porch during the services. Rev. Feiselmann paid a glowing tribute of respect to the memory of the departed. Special selections were sung by a quartette. The funeral was attended by one of the largest assemblages ever gathered in Fosterburg. Dr. Ihne was one of Fosterburg's very best citizens. He was greatly beloved and esteemed by everyone who knew him. He was a skilled and successful physician, a leader in everything pertaining to the good of the town and his fellowmen. He always took a firm stand on the side of justice, and was fearless in expressing his convictions. Dr. Ihne was kind and gentle in all his duties, both as physician and citizen. He leaves a vacant place in Fosterburg which will be hard to fill. The services at the grave were conducted by Fosterburg Camp No. 3328 M. W. of A., led by District Deputy L. E. Walter of Alton. The members of the camp and a large number of the members of the Madison County Medical Association led in the procession to the grave. The beautiful Woodmen burial services were carried out. Among the many beautiful floral emblems were one from the Medical Association and one from the Woodmen. The pallbearers were: W. Heiens, Frank Schaum, Charles Harrison, Charles Ost, John S. Culp, and Arthur Neuhaus, all Woodmen. Dr. Ihne leaves his wife, Mrs. Rose Ihne, four sisters and three brothers. All of his brothers and sisters were present at the funeral. Many relatives and friends from St. Louis, Alton, Godfrey, Belleville, Woodburn, North Alton, and Bethalto were also present. The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community, who will always cherish the memory of Dr. Ihne.


ILCH, DAVID/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 8, 1921
David Ilch, aged 80, died this morning at St. Joseph's Hospital, one day after his birthday. He was taken to the hospital recently to prepare for a surgical operation to relieve a malady in his throat. He was operated on the day he was eighty years old and lasted but one day afterward. Mr. Ilch was for many years engaged in the saloon business in the North Side. He had a place that had a wide reputation. He retired from the business a number of years ago, turning the place over to his son and namesake. Mr. Ilch had been suffering from weakness incident to his great age, and for a long time had not been able to be about, but remained in his home all the time. Mr. Ilch was born in Altenheim, Baden, Germany, and had been a resident of Alton sixty-four years. Soon after coming to Alton he established a saloon on State street on what is known as the Turner tract. Later, he built a saloon at State and Delmar and sold it, and then he built one at State and Elm. Twenty-five years ago he retired from business turning it over to David W. Ilch, his son. He leaves eight children: William Ilch and Mrs. Emma Nall of Kansas City, Mo., Dr. O. B. Ilch of St. Charles, David W., Henry, and George Ilch, Mrs. William Murphy and Miss Minnie Ilch, of Alton. The funeral will be held on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home, 3305 State street and interment will be in Alton City Cemetery.


ILLIJAHN, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 11, 1918
John Illijahn, aged 87, familiarly known in the neighborhood as "Uncle John," was found dead in bed at the home of his cousin, Mrs. Caroline Dietz, 1330 East Fourth street, about 8:30 o'clock Wednesday evening. It is supposed that the quiet old gentleman just slept away, peacefully. For thirty years he had not engaged in any occupation. He stayed around the home of his cousin, Mrs. Dietz, who was his only known near relative. He was known as a very quiet man, but he was very much liked in the neighborhood where he spent the last 30 years of his life.


ILLSEN, CHARLES E./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 25, 1901
Charles E. Illsen, a well known painter, died Sunday evening at his home on West Seventh street after a three months illness. He leaves his wife and four children. He was a member of the local painters union, No. 42. The funeral will take place Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.


INGERSOLL, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 30, 1911
The hand of death dealt heavy with the Godfrey-Melville district today, removing one of the best known of its residents and another who was a former well known resident. John Ingersoll, who has been ill for several weeks with jaundice, died at 12 o'clock today. His condition grew rapidly worse the past two days and little hope was held out by his family for his recovery. John Ingersoll has been a resident of the Godfrey district for many years, and would have been 58 years of age next August. He was well known in the politics of his township and has for many years been a leader in the ranks of the Republican Godfrey township. For twelve years he was in the Illinois Grain inspection office at East St. Louis, where he did valuable work for the state. He leaves a wife and one daughter, also his father, a brother and sister who reside in Jersey county. The funeral will be held from the Godfrey M. E. Church Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.


INGERSOLL, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 13, 1915
John Ingersoll, in ninety-fifth year, died at his home in Godfrey township at midnight, Friday night. Mr. Ingersoll was stricken a short time ago with an illness which probably was due to his great age. He had every hope of being able to recover as he had set his heart on reaching the age that was attained by some of his ancestors, who were much longer lived people than he, even though he was nearing his ninety-fifth birthday. His mind was bright and clear, and he enjoyed having his friends call on him at his home. His only son, Wallace Ingersoll, gave up all of his other duties and devoted his time to looking after his aged father. It was believed that by good care and nursing the aged man would rally. However, he suffered a complete prostration and the end came Friday night. Mr. Ingersoll was born in Canada. He came to Godfrey township in 1874. Of the three children, but one is living. The funeral of Mr. Ingersoll will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home, Rev. Brown of the Godfrey Congregational church officiating.


INVEEN, ADOLPH (CAPTAIN)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 5, 1900
Capt. Adolph Inveen, one of the best known residents of Alton, died Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, after an illness of only five days. His death was unexpected, as he had been only slightly ill since he contracted a cold at the Merchant's Carnival, but his condition was not considered serious, and he was able to be downtown until a few days before his death. Sunday morning his condition became much worse, and a physician was hastily summoned. In a few hours Mr. Inveen was dead. Capt. Inveen, as he was generally known, was born in Cologne, Germany, in 1831. Fifty years ago he came to America, and first settled in Minnesota, where he was married. He came to Alton in 1856, and has made his home in the city ever since. He was a carpenter and contractor, and during his lifetime built many houses in the city. He was a member of the Masonic order thirty two years, and the funeral services will be conducted by the members of the Alton lodges. Besides his aged widow, Mr. Inveen leaves two children, Mrs. A. E. Bassett of this city, and Mrs. William Uperaft, who arrived from Leroy, Minn., Sunday morning, in time to be at the bedside of her father a few hours, after a three years absence in China as a missionary. Mrs. Upcraft was on her way home from China, and stopped at Leroy to visit her husband's parents there on her way home. Mr. Inveen also leaves a brother and a sister in Germany, whom he had not seen in many years. The funeral will take place Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and services will be at the family home on Henry street.


IRBY, UNKNOWN WIFE OF WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 28, 1917
Mrs. William Irby, aged 62, a former resident of Alton, died at her home in East Alton this afternoon after being ill for some time. She lived in Alton for many years but has been a resident of East Alton for the past five years. Mrs. Irby is survived by her husband, two brothers, Dan Fox of Warsaw, Ill., and William Fox of East Alton; one daughter, Mrs. Reifgrab of East Alton; and one son, Harry Irby of East Alton. The body will be shipped to Warsaw, Ill. for burial. The funeral arrangements have not been completed.


IRISH, UNKNOWN DOCTOR AND WIFE/Source: Alton Telegraph, June 27, 1851
We learn that several deaths from cholera have occurred in the vicinity of Six Mile in Madison County, within a few days past. Among the victims were Dr. Irish Sr. and his wife, and a Mr. Segar. It behooves everyone to exercise the greatest care in relation to diet and habits during the prevalence of this great scourge.


ISABEL, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Telegraph, March 20, 1913
Hopelessly in Love - Drinks Carbolic Acid
William Isabel, aged 21, committed suicide Monday evening at his boarding place, 551 East Third street, by drinking carbolic acid. He took the acid at 9 o'clock and died one hour later. Mrs. Rose Bogue, with whom he boarded, said that the young man had been in bad health, was worrying over the death of his mother and also over a case of hopeless love. He had become infatuated with a woman who had separated from her husband, and Mrs. Bogue interfered and broke off the affair. Monday evening Isabel told a little daughter of Mrs. Bogue that he intended to take some of the acid for medicine later on, and everyone laughed, thinking he was joking. His subsequent course indicated he was in earnest. The body was held for an inquest by Coroner Sims. Isabel was a quarryman employed by the Queen City Quarry Company.


IVES, MARY CARRINGTON/Source: Alton Telegraph, July 11, 1851
Died at Monticello [Godfrey], on the 5th inst., Mary Carrington, daughter of Benjamin Ives and Mary Elizabeth Gilman, aged five years.


IVES, SUSAN WHITTELSEY/Source: Alton Telegraph, July 11, 1851
Died at Monticello [Godfrey] on the 27th ult., Susan Whittelsey, youngest daughter of Benjamin Ives and Mary Elizabeth Gilman, aged two years.


IVY, MAGGIE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 2, 1901
Upper Alton News - Mrs. Ivey, a colored resident, died last night. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Baptist church.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 4, 1901
The remains of the late Mrs. Maggie Ivy of Upper Alton were laid to rest in Oakwood cemetery Sunday afternoon, Rev. J. H. Barton conducting the services.


IZZARD, JOHN W. (REVEREND)/Source: Alton Telegraph, February 20, 1913
Rev. John W. Izzard, pastor of the Godfrey Congregational church, died Tuesday [Feb. 18] about 1:30 o'clock p.m. from stomach trouble. Rev. Izzard came to Godfrey about six weeks ago to take the pastorate of the Godfrey church which had been made vacant by the resignation of Rev. J. F. Beacon. He was not a strong man, having suffered from a chronic stomach trouble for a long time. About a week ago he broke down and his case became very bad from the beginning. He was believed to be dying all day Sunday, and one time was said to be dead, but later he rallied and lasted until Tuesday afternoon when the end came. Rev. Izzard was an old Congregational preacher. He had filled many charges in his career as a minister, and was known as an active worker. He leaves his wife and a son and a daughter.


Back to the Top