Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind


Obituaries - Surname Q

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser



QUACKENBUSH, ALIVRA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 7, 1900
Mrs. Alvira Quackenbush died this morning at the home of her son, George W. Quackenbush, on Mill street, after a short illness. Her death was a peculiarly distressing one in that she was dangerously ill only a few minutes before passing into a trance-like state, and that it was impossible to tell when she did die. She had been suffering with a pain in her side for several weeks, but the illness was considered not serious and she thought she would recover within a few days. This morning at 1:45 o'clock she was taken very ill and went into a comatose state after a few minutes. Mrs. Quackenbush's only son, George W. Quackenbush, C. & A. freight agent with whom she lived, was away from the city and arrived home this morning. Dr. Waldo Fisher was summoned and he made an examination of Mrs. Quackenbush but was unable to say positively whether she was alive or dead. Her extremities were cold, but the warmth did not leave her body, although no respiration or heart action could be detected. Everyone about the bedside was puzzled and until this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock it was thought she was still alive. Dr. Fisher pronounced her dead this afternoon, after making several examinations and tests during the day. Dr. Fisher said this afternoon that death was due to paralysis of the heart, as she had suffered with heart trouble for some time. He believed she died at 6 o'clock this morning after lying in a comatose state four hours. When she was thought to be alive later because of warmth of her body, it is supposed the warmth was due to a reaction caused by the suddenness of her death. Mrs. Quackenbush was 70 years of age and was a large, fine appearing woman. She came from Carlinville to Alton eighteen months ago to make her home with her son. She came from Murrayville originally, where she made her home many years. The death of Mrs. Quackenbush is an unusually sad one and the entire community will sympathize with the family in their affliction. The time for the funeral has not been set.


QUARTON, M. A./Source: Alton Telegraph, June 4, 1852
Died in Alton on the 28th ult., after a long and protracted illness, Mrs. M. A. Quarton, aged 34 years.


QUEEN, MARION R. "BERT"/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 31, 1922
Dies in Hopper at Glass Plant
Marion R. Queen, aged 46, butter known as "Bert," was smothered to death this morning at the plant of the Illinois Glass Co., by falling into a coal hopper above an automatic stoker. Workmen who responded to his cry for help as he fell into the coal hopper got to the top of the hopper just in time to see one of his hands, the last visible sign of him, sinking in the finely powdered coal that is fed into the automatic stoking machines which fire the boilers. It was not until the coal had been taken out of the hopper that Queen's dead body could be removed. An effort to get it out at the bottom caused a blocking of the orifice at that part of the hopper, and it was impossible to remove him. The time required to get the body of Mr. Queen out of the hopper was not far from two hours. The circumstances attending the accident are not quite certain. Mr. Queen was foreman in charge of loading coal into the hoppers, which fed the automatic stokers, and getting away the ashes from the furnaces. The hopper was being filled from a pit where a system of buckets takes the coal to the top of the hopper and dumps it. The hoppers feed the coal on down to the moving grate bars of the automatic stoker. Something happened which stopped the feeding of the coal to the moving bars, and it was supposed that the coal had arched over it. Mr. Queen went to the top to attempt jarring the jam loose so the coal would resume feeding. In his efforts to break the arch, it is supposed he fell over into the hopper. His weight may have broken the arch and there was a cave in on top of him, all the accumulation of fuel crowding him down into the funnel at the bottom. He shouted as he fell, and the men below rushed up to render any help they could. As stated, they saw only his hand waving over the top of the sliding coal and immediately it was swallowed up. The pipe from which the coal comes was broken at the bottom after the stoker was shut off. The machine which was dumping coal at the top was shut down too. Queen's body appeared immediately where the pipe was broken, but it was impossible to get it through the opening. The next resort was to get all of the coal out of the hopper and thus took time. It is supposed that Queen lived but a short time after he was covered by the fine coal. He was covered to a depth of five or six feet. Mr. Queen leaves his wife and two sons, Wilford and Reynold. He was a man of excellent character and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He was regarded as one of the most faithful employees of the Illinois Glass Co. He was a member of the College Avenue Baptist church. He had resided in Alton seventeen years, part of that time in the North Side. Besides his wife and two sons, he leaves a family of brothers and sisters, Mrs. John Thompson of Alton, George of San Francisco, James of Blackfoot, Ore., Albert of Baker City, Ore., Mrs. Effie May of Portland, Ore., and Mrs. Ida Hart, formerly of Blackfoot, Ore., now of Jerseyville. Six years ago a man went through a similar accident at one of the quarries at Alton. He fell into a bin filled with crushed rock, and went through the rock, coming out at the bottom, and he was almost unhurt. An undertaker, who had been summoned, was waiting for him, and great was the surprise of everybody in that case when it was found that the man hardly needed the attention of a doctor.


QUICK, JOHN/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, April 26, 1882
From Upper Alton – Mr. John Quick was buried Tuesday afternoon from the Methodist Church. Mr. Quick was born in 1826. His early years were passed in Upper Alton. Having spent several years in California, he returned to Upper Alton in 1866, and engaged in business, which he followed up to the time of his last illness. He was never married. For sixteen years his face has been daily seen upon our streets, with pleasant greeting for everyone he met. The strictest integrity marked his business dealings. As one who has known him for thirty years remarked, “He was nature’s honest man.” All the stores on the street, with his, were closed during the funeral.


QUIGLEY, E./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 10, 1904
Mrs. E. Quigley, widow of the late Thomas Quigley, died Tuesday night at the home, 329 Dry street, after a long illness. She was a resident of Alton very many years and was respected by all who knew her. She leaves a daughter, Miss Annie.


QUIGLEY, FRANK/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 24, 1906
Frank Quigley, a well known resident of Alton, died of dropsy of the heart at St. Joseph's hospital late this afternoon after a long illness. He was born May 21, 1852, in Alton, and had lived here most of his life. He was connected with the Boals planning mill for many years, but in recent years had lived in Springfield. A few weeks ago he returned to Alton very ill, knowing that his death would be a matter of only a short time. He was moved to St. Joseph's hospital, where he passed away after great suffering. He leaves two sisters, Mrs. M. H. Boals and Miss Mae Quigley, and one brother, William Quigley. The time of the funeral has not been set.


QUIGLEY, GEORGE W./Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, September 25, 1882
We chronicle today the sad news of the death of Mr. George Quigley, one of our oldest and most highly esteemed citizens. For many months, he has been in feeble health, the victim of a painful illness, but his sufferings were borne with patience and fortitude until the last.

Mr. Quigley was a native of Pennsylvania, born near Pittsburgh, January 10, 1805, and was therefore in the 78th year of his age at the time of his death. He came to Alton in 1832, just half a century ago, and for many years was engaged in the stove and tinware business on State Street. He served for a long period as a member of the Board of Education, and also occupied other public positions. In all the walks of life, he was a useful and honored citizen, winning the respect and esteem of all. He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in early life, and continued a consistent member thereof until his death.

Mr. Quigley was twice married, first in 1834 to Martha A. Toomer, who died in 1844; and next to Narcissa Gillham Vaughn in 1848, who died in 1872. He leaves five children, all of adult years, viz: Mr. William Quigley; Miss Mattie; Messrs, Frank and John G.; and Miss Emma “Mae” Quigley. He was also stepfather of Mrs. Juliette J. Vaughn Boals, wife of Manuel H. Boals, and uncle of Dr. W. C. Quigley. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon from the family residence on Union Street. [Burial was in the Alton City Cemetery.]


QUIGLEY, JOHN/Source: Alton Weekly Courier, July 13, 1854
We are pained to record the death of Mr. John Quigley, an old and much esteemed citizen of Alton. His loss will be felt in the business circle and in the church of which he was a consistent member.


QUIGLEY, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 11, 1905
John Quigley, aged 46, died Thursday evening at 10 o'clock at St. Joseph's hospital, after a long illness. Mr. Quigley was attacked by a pulmonary malady many years ago, which undermined his health and finally, in the last year, made it necessary for him to seek relief at health resorts. He spent about a year at Asheville, N. C. in the hope of benefiting his health. He returned home little improved, and after his return his health again began to decline steadily. He made his home in Springfield the latter years of his life and he remained there until his condition became hopeless, when he came back to Alton to be with home folks in the final hours. He was taken to St. Joseph's hospital, where he could be given constant attention, and he died there. A sad feature of the death is that Mr. Quigley was engaged to be married during a period of seven years, but the condition of his health would not admit of the marriage taking place. His fiance came from Springfield to be with him and to help attend to him during the closing days before he slipped away into his last sleep. Mr. Quigley was a brother of Mrs. M. H. Boals, Miss Mae Quigley, William Quigley, all of Alton, and Frank Quigley of Springfield. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Quigley, and was born in Alton. He was employed for many years at the Boals planing mill in Alton, and went from here to Springfield to take a similar position. He was an industrious man and never lost any time until ill health forced him to take life easier. He had been away from Alton many years, but he leaves a large number of friends in the city who still remember him for his kindly ways and his true friendship, and they mourn no less deeply than the afflicted family, now that the end has come. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Congregational church.


QUIGLEY, JOSEPH/Source: Alton Telegraph, April 21, 1871
Died on April 14, Joseph Quigley, in the 43rd year of his age.


QUIGLEY, MARGERY/Source: Alton Telegraph, September 14, 1839
Died, in this city [Alton], on the 10th inst., in the triumph of Christian faith, Mrs. Margery Quigley, wife of Mr. John Quigley, aged 39 years. An affectionate wife, a devoted mother, and a faithful friend, her family, and a large circle of friends deplore her loss.


QUIGLEY, MARTHA A./Source: Alton Telegraph, April 6, 1844
Died in this city [Alton], on the 21 instant, Martha A. Quigley, consort of _____ Quigley, aged 32. ..... dispensation leaves a husband deeply bereaved, and two little children deprived of a mother's care. She died trusting in the promises of her Savior, in the belief that she was going home to that God she had taken as her portion, perfectly resigned to drink the cup her Father's hand had given. her. [this one was hard to read]


QUIGLEY, MARY/Source: Alton Telegraph, April 17, 1884
Mrs. Mary, wife of Mr. William M. Quigley, died Tuesday last at the family residence on Second Street [Broadway], after a long, painful illness, at the age of 33 years. Mrs. Quigley had been a resident of Alton only a few years, but was highly esteemed by all for her noble and amiable qualities of mind and heart. The funeral took place from the George Quigley homestead, corner of Union and North Streets.


QUIGLEY, NARCISSA (nee GILLHAM)/Source: Alton Telegraph, April 26, 1872
Died on April 18, 1872 in Alton, of bronchitis, Mrs. George Quigley; aged 49 years.

Narcissa Gillham Quigley was the daughter of John and Phebe (Dunnagan) Gillham. She was born in Madison County in 1823, and married first Johnson Vaught in 1844, and then George W. Quigley in 1848. Narcissa and Johnson Vaughn had one child – Juliette J. Vaughn Boals. Narcissa and George Quigley had the following children: George A. Quigley; Frank Quigley; John G. Quigley; and Emma May Quigley.


QUIGLEY, NATHANIEL BUCKMASTER/Source: Alton Telegraph, December 23, 1875
Died in Jacksonville, Florida, December 20, Nathaniel Buckmaster, son of Virginia and the late Joseph Quigley of Alton; aged seventeen years.


QUIGLEY, VIRGINIA (nee BUCKMASTER)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, June 16, 1917
Word has been received by Mrs. Curran of the death of her sister, Mrs. Virginia Quigley, at Los Angeles, Cal., June 15. The body is expected to arrive in Alton Tuesday morning, and will be taken from the train to Oakwood Cemetery for burial. Mrs. Quigley was a daughter of Nathaniel Buckmaster. She was born in Alton and lived here in the earlier part of her life. For many years she had been a resident of California. She leaves beside Mrs. Curran, another sister, Mrs. J. W. Davis, of St. Louis. Mrs. Quigley was the widow of Joseph Quigley, an uncle of J. T. Quigley of Alton.


QUIGLEY, WEBB CLOSEY (DOCTOR)/Source: Alton Telegraph, June 19, 1884
Physician; Co-Owner of Wholesale Drug
The community was shocked Sunday evening by news of the death of Dr. W. C. Quigley, at his residence in Middletown, after a brief illness. He was taken sick on June 11, and the two following days was very ill, but on Saturday was thought to be improving. On Sunday, his condition was worse, but still the family did not apprehend immediate danger. Late Sunday afternoon, he fell asleep and never awakened, passing peacefully and quietly away. The Doctor had been in feeble health for some time, and had probably little strength to resist disease, but his death falls with no less crushing weight on the hearts of his bereaved family, his large circle of relatives, and the hosts of friends he has made during his residence of over half a century in Alton.

Webb Closey Quigley, son of the late John Quigley, was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 4, 1819. Shortly after his birth, his family removed to Tennessee, and subsequently, when the deceased was a mere lad, the family followed the tide of immigration then pouring into Illinois, and arrived in Alton soon after 1831. The father, John Quigley, purchased the lot on the northeast corner of Second [Broadway] and Easton Street in 1834, and there erected, on foundations already laid, the frame dwelling which was for many years the family residence, and which was torn down this Spring. Of those who settled in Alton prior to 1834, there are now few survivors, but among them is the Doctor’s life-long friend, Mr. Samuel Wade. Dr. Quigley’s early education was received in the schools of Alton and at Shurtleff College in Upper Alton. On reaching manhood, he chose the practice of medicine for a profession, and pursued his studies first with the late Dr. B. K. Hart, and subsequently at McDowell Medical College, then a famous institution. He located in the practice of his profession at Pekin, Illinois, but after a few years returned to Alton and entered the wholesale drug business with his brother, Joseph, since deceased. To this occupation he devoted his time and energies with great success, and the firm, under the subsequent names of Quigley, Hopkins & Lea; Quigley, Hopkins & Co.; and Quigley & Co., its present style, became one of the best known and most successful drug houses in the West, with a trade extending over a wide section of country, and with a reputation for business integrity and probity second to none. As the head of a great mercantile interest, his eminent abilities as a business man were widely and generally recognized.

On April 27, 1847, he was married to Miss Isabella T., daughter of the late Hon. Cyrus Edwards, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Hubbell Loomis. The wedded life of over thirty-seven years, which closed last evening, was a singularly happy one, the tenderest affection mingled with mutual respect and devotion, characterizing the life-long union, making the home around which their interests centered the scene of unalloyed domestic bliss. The wife and five children survive to mourn the loss of the revered and loving husband and father. The children are Messrs. Cyrus E. and Joseph T. and Misses Sue, Alice, and Jennie, all of adult years. His sons had for some time been his partners in business. The only survivors of his father’s family are the Doctor’s sisters, Mrs. Rev. R. W. Patterson and Mrs. S. F. Neef, both of Chicago.

In the long life spent by Dr. Quigley in Alton, he had seen the place increase from a frontier settlement to a flourishing city; had been identified with its social and business life; had filled public positions of trust and responsibility, though never aspiring thereto, and in all the changes of many years, had met and faithfully discharged his duties as a citizen. A man of broad culture and extensive reading, he kept pace with the progress of the age on social, political, and scientific questions, and had the ability to maintain his positions with logical force and clearness. Though not engaged in practice, he kept up his interest in medical studies throughout his life.

A kind neighbor, a faithful friend, a generous patron of the church and all worthy objects of benevolence, with a heart and hand open to the wants of the needy and distressed, he has left a vacant place in the community, and in its business circles, that cannot be filled. His long life of integrity and uprightness gave him a strong hold on the respect of the community and on the warm affection of the friends who knew him most intimately, and most fully appreciated the warm heart that beat in his bosom. But the life on earth is ended now. He is done with its toils and rewards, its joys and sorrow, its disappointments and fruitions. Peace and rest have come to him, but in the beautiful home he loved so well, in the happy family circle so long unbroken, there are sad faces and sorrowful hearts. To the wife stricken by the sundering of the dearest earthly tie; to the children deprived of a father’s wise counsel, and to relatives, mourning the loss of one so dear, there will go out the sympathy of a community that, appreciating its own loss, can realize something of the depth of their bereavement. The death of such a man as Dr. Quigley, so long associated with our civic life and growth, is also the breaking of a bond that united the old and the new: the embryonic days of the pioneers with the present high tide of civilization and development. A living link between the past and the present of our city is severed, and we stand on the hither side with one less witness to tell from experience of the days now past and gone.

The funeral took place Tuesday afternoon from the family residence on Twelfth Street, with a remarkably large attendance, including many relatives and friends from abroad. The large number of business men present was especially noticeable, showing the esteem entertained for the deceased by his associates in the commercial world and their sorrow at his death. One of the longest processions ever seen in Alton followed the remains to the silent city. The mound was covered with a wreath of rare flowers and evergreens, tokens of love and emblems of immortality. Among the relatives and family present from abroad were: Rev. Dr. and Mrs. R. W. Patterson Mrs. S. F. Neef, and Miss Grace Patterson, of Chicago; Mrs. General A. G. Edwards, Mrs. Josie Edwards, Benjamin Edwards, N. G. Edwards, and M. H. French, of St. Louis; Mrs. General John Cook of Springfield; Mrs. Hallie Edwards and Mr. Frank Edwards of Gillespie; and Presley Edwards of Hillsboro. [Burial was in the Alton City Cemetery.]


QUIGLEY, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 23, 1914
Retired Book Dealer
William Quigley, retired book dealer, a native of Alton, passed away in his sleep Wednesday morning. He was found dead by his only sister, Miss Mae Quigley, a teacher in Humboldt school. She had been eyes for her aged brother since his sight had become dimmed, and she had been feet for him in that she gave him constant attention. He had not been very ill, and was merely complaining of a bad cold that had kept him in the house a few days. The end was very unexpected. When he did not rise at his usual time in the morning, his sister went to call him and found him dead. Mr. Quigley was almost 80 years of age. He was born in Alton and would have been 80 years of age next July 6. He spent most of his life in Alton, but for a number of years, when a young man, was in California, and later was in business at Joplin, Mo. He started a book store in 1885 in the room on Piasa street, now occupied by the Mather book store. There he remained for twenty years until advancing age and dimming sight made it necessary for him to retire. There is no man in Alton who was more highly thought of than William Quigley. He possessed an amiable disposition, was at peace with all men. One of the nicest tributes that cold be paid to this quiet gentleman was that given by his only sister now left alone in the world, who said, "I never heard him utter a word that was not pleasant. He was a typical, old fashioned gentleman." And he was. The world knew him as such, and young and old who knew him loved and venerated him. The funeral of Mr. Quigley will be held Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Church of the Redeemer Congregational at Sixth and Henry streets, Rev. I. G. McCann officiating. [Dec. 24, 1914 - Burial was at City Cemetery.]


QUINLAN, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, June 14, 1911
Fearing Surgery, Young Man Kills Self
Fearing to undergo a surgical operation, John Quinlan, a former bookkeeper, killed himself at the home of his brother-in-law, Frank Lavick, 916 east Fourth street, about 4:40 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. Quinlan shot himself in the right temple and died a few minutes later before a surgeon could reach him. He had used a 32-calibre revolver with a long barrell. He had been threatening for a week to kill himself, but no attention was paid to his threats. About a year ago he came to Alton to visit his sister and remained. He had been working at El Paso, Tex., as a clerk. He made his home with his sister all the time he was here. According to members of the family, he had planned to go to St. Louis in a few days to undergo an operation for some intestinal trouble, and he had brooded over the approaching operation so long he decided to kill himself. The deceased is a brother of Rev. Fr. Quinlan, who came here four years ago to attend the funeral of a child of Mr. and Mrs. Lavick and while here to took sick and died in the same house. The time of the funeral of the young man is not set. He leaves his parents in Ohio, and his mother is very ill. He has a brother in New Mexico. Arrangements for the funeral will be held up until the father arrives. Coroner Streeper held an inquest this afternoon.


QUINN, AGNES/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, June 4, 1900
Miss Agnes Quinn, daughter of Mrs. Mary Quinn, died Saturday night at the family home on East Second street after a long illness, aged 15. She was a well-liked girl and leaves many friends to mourn her death. The funeral will be Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock, and services will be in St. Patrick's church.


QUINN, ELIZABETH/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 26, 1907
Mrs. Elizabeth Quinn, widow of Henry Quinn, died at her home in Mitchell Wednesday morning, aged 62, after a long illness from dropsy. She had lived at Mitchell forty-two years, and for many years conducted a hotel there. She was a native of Ireland. Mrs. Quinn leaves three daughters, Mrs. Robert Dobbins, Misses Mollie and Jennie Quinn. The funeral of Mrs. Quinn will be held Saturday morning from St. Elizabeth's church at Mitchell. The funeral will be held Saturday at 9 a.m. from St. Elizabeth's church at Mitchell.


QUINN, MICHAEL/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, July 5, 1887
Drunken Spree End in Death
A party of tramps procured two kegs of beer Saturday evening, and went to a point near the Chicago & Alton Railroad in the northern suburbs, and commenced celebrating the Fourth of July in advance. A row arose, and one of the number was fatally stabbed. The party immediately dispersed, terror stricken, some of the number coming here and reporting the affair to the police. The body of the murdered man was brought into town Sunday, and Captain Ryan placed under arrest five of the party of tramps, who gave their names as James Moran, Ed Mitches, Richard Williams, William Fleck, and Charles Green. These men all claim to be innocent. They said the murdered man’s name was Michael Quinn of St. Charles, Missouri, but when examined by the Coroner stated that they did not know his name. Coroner Melling held an inquest. The verdict was that the deceased came to his death from the stab of some sharp instrument in the hands of a party unknown. The body of the murdered man was taken in charge and buried by undertaker Klunk. An officer from Carlinville passed through on the train Monday morning, and told Captain Melling that a man covered with blood was under arrest at that place. He was one of the party of beer drinkers mentioned above.

The prisoners had a trial before Squire Randle this morning, but nothing could be proven against them in regard to the murder, and they were fined $20 each for vagrancy and committed to jail. In the meantime, it is expected that there may be some new developments in the case. It is understood that the man who left the train at Carlinville Saturday night, and whose appearance excited suspicion that he was connected with the murder, is now in jail there. Sheriff Burke has telegraphed to have the man brought down here.


QUINN, UNKNOWN MAN/Source: Alton Telegraph, March 10, 1881
From Edwardsville, March 9 – Mr. Quinn, an old man who had been sick for several months, died last Friday at the residence of his son-in-law, J. H. Brown, principal of our public school.


QUIRK, UNKNOWN WIFE OF JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 12, 1906
Mrs. John Quirk, a sister of Mrs. George Noll, died Sunday evening at 6:30 o'clock at the home of her sister, Mrs. Noll, 506 East Third street. Mrs. Quirk was 27 of age. She had been an invalid for many months and recently came from her home in Jerseyville in the hope that a visit with her sister in Alton might do her good. She leaves one son, her mother and four sisters. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock from the home of Mrs. Noll to St. Mary's Church.


Back to the Top