Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind


Obituaries - Surname X-Y

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser



X - (None)


YACKEL, ADOLPH/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 15, 1908
Engaged in the Soda Water Business
Adolph Yackel, former alderman and former member of the County Board of Supervisors, died Wednesday night at 9:30 o'clock, after a spell of bronchial asthma, aged 46. He was stricken with apoplexy about two years ago, and after a long period of disability he regained his strength enough to attend to his business and be around the streets. For several months he has been suffering from asthma and has had trouble with coughing. He was still able to be around and did not go to bed until 6 o'clock Wednesday night. He was taken with a violent spell of coughing and this is supposed to have caused a recurrence of the apopletic stroke which proved fatal. Mr. Yackel was a native of Alton and was a prominent business man. He was engaged in the soda water business for about twelve years, and had built up a good business. He leaves beside his wife, five sons and two daughters. He leaves also three sisters, Mrs. Robert Brueggemann, Mrs. George Hunt and Mrs. Caroline Putz. The death of Mr. Yackel was a surprise to his friends and relatives, as it was not supposed he had been ill. He had complained of much trouble with his breathing and had visited a doctor Wednesday morning. At that time there was only the usual symptoms of bronchial asthma.


YACKEL, AMELIA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 20, 1903
Miss Amelia Yackel, a well known young lady of Alton, died at her home on East Fifth street near Ridge street, Saturday afternoon after a two weeks illness from inflammation of the bowels. She was 38 years of age and had lived in Alton all her life. Miss Yackel had been in poor health for several years, and her constitution was weakened by the prolonged illness. She was a member of a prominent East End family, and was highly esteemed by all who knew her. The funeral was held this afternoon from the family home, and services were conducted by Rev. Theodore Oberhellman. Burial was in the City Cemetery.


YACKEL, ANNIE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 31, 1901
Widow of George Yackel
Mrs. Annie Yackel, widow of George Yackel and mother of Adolph Yackel and Mrs. George Hunt, died this afternoon at the home of her daughter, Ninth and Liberty streets, after an illness of paralysis.


YACKEL, CASPER/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 12, 1902
Former Alton Police Officer
Death came suddenly Friday evening about 8 o'clock to Casper Yackel, one of the best known residents of the eastern part of the city, and for many years an efficient police officer in Alton. His death was an awful shock to his family, for he left his home, 1001 east Second street, shortly after 7 o'clock apparently in the very best of health and spirits, to look at a new house being erected by his brother-in-law, George Hunt. He romped with the children before he went, and after that nothing much is known. He was evidently suffering the first agony of death when he reached the home of Adam Gollmer, 409 Ridge street, for there he grasped the banisters of the steps leading up to the house and leaned over them gasping for breath and groaning. Mrs. Gollmer ran out and asked him what was the matter, and he told her he was deathly sick and to please help him home. When he was being lifted from his bent-over position, he died. He was a member of the Germania Lodge I. O. O. F. and of the D. O. H. He served in the Rebellion on the side of the Union, but never joined a G. A. R. post. He was 58 years of age, and although born in Germany, was brought here while very young and spent most of his life in this city. He leaves a widow and six children: Mesdames David R. Long and William Weisbach, and Misses Clara and Minnie Yackel and George and John Yackel, all of this city; besides a brother, A. Yackel, the soda water manufacturer, and three sisters, Mesdames Robert Brueggeman, Louis Putze, and George Hunt. The late Mrs. Jacob Kuhn was his sister, and her death was similar to his, heart disease taking each. The funeral will be Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock.


YACKEL, JOHN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 6, 1919
Meets Death in Fall at Standard-Tilton Mill
John Yackel, aged 36, was found dead on the second floor of the Standard-Tilton mill this morning about 9:30 o'clock, where he had fallen from a five foot stepladder. The cause of his death was sought in an autopsy this afternoon. Yackel had been working as a painter in the mill for more than a year. He was engaged in painting the water pipes of the sprinkler system in the mill, and this morning was engaged on the second floor of the mill and was standing on the stepladder. No one saw him as he began to fall, but two men working on the next floor saw him after he had started, his feet higher than his head. They rushed to see what had happened, and found Yackel dead. It was assumed he had fractured his neck, as he must have struck on his head. There was no mark on him to indicate that he had suffered a heavy blow. The body was turned over to Deputy Coroner W. H. Bauer, who will hold an inquest. Owing to the shortness of the distance he fell, there was some who believed he might have been stricken with heart disease and that he was not killed by the fall. Mr. Yackel was born in Alton and had lived here all his life. He was a son of Caroline Yackel, widow of Casper Yackel, of 823 East Fifth street. He leaves his wife and three children, Edwin, Raymond and Charlotte. He leaves also his mother and four sisters, Miss Clara Yackel, Mrs. David Ruddy, Mrs. William Clark and Mrs. William Welsbach. News of the death of Yackel was suppressed until such time could elapse as would be necessary to get the word home to the members of his family to avoid causing them any cruel shock.


YAEGER, ANNA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 18, 1917
Wife of Frank X. Yaeger
Mrs. Anna Yaeger, wife of Frank X. Yaeger, the well known railway engineer, died at her home, 1715 Alby street Wednesday evening at 9:30 o'clock, aged 52. Mrs. Yaeger had been very sick for a month with a complication of diseases, the principal malady being gastritis. She had not been in good health for a long time. In the last few weeks of her life it was realized that it would be impossible for her to recover, and the end was not unexpected. Mrs. Yaeger was born in Palmyra, Mo., and she died one day after her 52nd birthday. She came to Alton when a girl with her parents. She was married to Frank X. Yaeger in June 1887, and soon afterward the couple went to housekeeping in the home where she died. She leaves two children, Herbert Yaeger and Mrs. Irene Walters, also two grandchildren. She leaves one brother, Joseph Kohler of Alton. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the family home, Rev. Heggemeier of the Evangelical Church officiating. Mrs. Yaeger was a member of Bluff City Court of Honor. She was a woman who was beloved in her family and in the neighborhood where she had spent close to thirty years of her life. Her death is the cause of much sadness among those who had known her, and the bereaved family have a very large circle of sympathetic friends.


YAEGER, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 30, 1904
Engineer Crushed to Death in Cab of Engine
William Yaeger, a well known former Alton engineer, was killed this afternoon near Wanda. He has for several years been in charge of one of the Illinois Terminal engines, and has resided in Edwardsville for a year or more, moving from Alton so as to allow him to be with his family at nights, his last trip each day ending at the county seat. Meager details of the wreck were received at Alton. Will Adams, the fireman, jumped and saved his life. William Hanser, baggage man, jumped and suffered slight injuries. William Yaeger was crushed under the over-turned engine. Mr. Yaeger lived in Alton most of his life until a year ago, when he went to Edwardsville. His brother, Frank Yaeger, lives in this city. Mr. William Yaeger was one of the most reliable and experienced engineers in Illinois. For many years he was an employee of the Chicago and Alton railway, and more recently he was in the employ of the Alton Paper Box Manufacturing Co., and left there to take a position on the Terminal. Mr. Yaeger was severely injured last spring by the spreading of the rails after a terrific rainstorm.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 2, 1904
There was a large gathering of friends and relatives of William Yaeger today to pay their last respects to the dead engineer who met death so bravely at his post of duty in his engine last Saturday afternoon at Wanda. The funeral party consisting of members of the family, the pallbearers, and some of his friends who went to Edwardsville this morning to escort the body over, arrived on a special train from Edwardsville this morning. The remains were taken immediately to the home of Frank Yaeger, his brother on Alby Street, and from there the funeral services were held. The floral offerings were costly and numerous. During his lifetime Mr. Yaeger had been a quiet, unobtrusive man, and was one of the best men who ever pulled a throttle on a locomotive. Railway men tell it that he had expressed a consciousness that he might meet death in the engine cab sometime, and that fact, together with his duty to his employers and his family, made him even more careful than he might have been. He was known as being one of the most expert engineers on the Chicago and Alton, when he was running on that road, but an ill fortune that was unexplainable seemed to follow him. Several times he was injured while in the discharge of his duty, and believing that his danger was minimized by taking a run on a short road like the Illinois Terminal, he entered its employ. William Yaeger was a pleasant, affable man, with the best of habits, sober, industrious and strictly honest in every transaction. His death leaves sore places not only in the hearts of his family, but in those of his friends, who had learned to regard him for his many good qualities. The funeral party arrived from Edwardsville at 10 o'clock. Accompanying the members of the family were many friends and relatives, and the party included the pallbearers, both active and honorary. The active pallbearers were Otto Flach, William Ash, Samuel Ash, John Runzie, John Curdie, George Long; the honorary pallbearers representing the Odd Fellows Lodge from Edwardsville were Frank Dietz, William Stulken, Fred Hanser, Thomas Cunningham, John James and James Brown. At the home in Edwardsville, brief services were conducted by Rev. Elisha Stafford of the Edwardsville Presbyterian church. Rev. Mr. Stafford accompanied the party to Alton and conducted the funeral services at the home of Frank Yaeger. Among those who attended the funeral were Joseph Berner, A. W. Kinney, Mr. and Mrs. John Baum of Bloomington, Edward Yaeger and Mrs. Frank Klatt of Lincoln, Will Berner of Chicago. Mr. Yaeger was born in Alton and was the son of Mrs. Jacob Goehringer of Alton. He leaves two brothers, Frank of Alton and Gus of St. Louis, and two half-brothers, Leo and Julius Goehringer.


YAGER, ADA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 24, 1901
Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Yager have the sympathy of their many friends in the loss of their infant daughter, Ada, whose death occurred Monday morning. Rev. Edwin Harris conducted the funeral service from the Presbyterian church Tuesday morning.


YAGER, B. T./Source: Alton Telegraph, June 21, 1883
From Dorsey – Our old and esteemed friend, Mr. B. T. Yager, departed this life Saturday, June 9, at the age of 77 years and 4 months. Mr. Yager had long been a sufferer from rheumatism, but bore his affliction with patience, and longed for the time to come when he should cross over the river. He was noted for his honesty and fair dealing with all.


YAGER, HENRY JACOB/Source: Alton Telegraph, June 1, 1866
Died in Alton on the 26th inst., Henry Jacob, son of John H. and Ida E. Yager, aged four years.


YAGER, J. H./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 9, 1911
The funeral of Hon. J. H. Yager was held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family residence, Ninth and Langdon streets. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. F. S. Dunham of the Oak Park, Ill., Unitarian church. There was a large attendance of friends and relatives at the funeral, and a big representation of Madison county lawyers who were notified of the death of the dean of the Bar Association of the county. The musical numbers were sung by Mrs. Otto Kramer and Miss Minnie Boals.  The Circuit Court at Edwardsville and the City Court at Granite City were adjourned today out of respect for Mr. Yager, and there was a good sized attendance of attorneys at the funeral. Judge Hadley was among those present. Today was the day for attending the dedication of the new court house at Belleville, but the Madison county bar decided to show their respect for Mr. Yager by attending his funeral. A beautiful floral piece was given by the Madison county bar.


YAGER, RICHARD/Source: Alton Telegraph, January 11, 1877
Died in Alton on January 5, 1877, at 5 o’clock, of pneumonia, Richard, son of J. H. and Ida Yager; aged 11 months and 5 days.


YAGER, SIDNEY/Source: Alton Telegraph, January 10, 1878
Loving hearts are again stricken. Little Sidney, son of Hon. J. H. and Mrs. Ida Yager, died Monday night at 7 o’clock, after an illness that was not thought to be serious until within a short time of the sad occurrence. The disease seemed to be a complication of disorders, resulting from an attack of the measles, with which he was seized about three weeks ago. The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends.


YATES, JANE/Source: Alton Telegraph, September 27, 1877
From Edwardsville – Mrs. Jane Yates, relict of the late Thomas W. Yates, died last Wednesday in the 56th year of her age. She had lived here for a great many years, and had endeared herself to all the old citizens of this place to such an extent as to cause them to feel more than the usual pang of sorrow for the death of their friend and neighbor.


YEAKEL, GEORGE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 21, 1907
Insurance and Real Estate Man
George Yeakel, an insurance and real estate man, a brother of Carl F. Yeakel, the well known insurance and real estate agent, died suddenly Tuesday night about 10 o'clock at his home, 345 Henry street. Mr. Yeakel was in his usual good health last night at supper time, and for a few hours thereafter. About 9:30 he complained of feeling ill, and as the illness continued to grow more acute one of his daughters called for Dr. Bowman. Mr. Yeakel had been struck by heart disease, however, and nothing could be done for him. He was 52 years old and is survived by two daughters. His mother, three sisters, and a brother also survive. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon from the home where services will be conducted by the Rev. Ernest Mueller. Mr. Yeakel's is the second sudden death in that block in the past few months, that of E. Lippoldt being the other.


YENNEY, EARL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, September 2, 1919
Two Alton Boys Killed at Rail Crossing
Two Alton boys, Earl Yenney and Harold Collins, both 18 years old, were killed Sunday morning at Monroe, Mich., when their automobile was struck by a fast train on a railroad crossing. The bodies of the two boys will be brought here for burial Wednesday. Mr. and Mrs. August Beineke of Detroit were seriously injured. All the parties in the accident were formerly of Alton and well known here. The two boys, until a year ago, were employed at the plant of the Brokaw-Eden Company in Alton. Mr. Beineke was a glassworker. The message received have but meager details of the accident. It was known to their relatives in Alton that the four mentioned, with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Yenney, formerly of Alton, were planning an automobile trip from Detroit to Cleveland, during the weekend and over Labor Day. Apparently the accident occurred enroute. Mrs. Frank Yenney was the sister of Collins. Yenney's parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Yenney, now make their home in Detroit, as do his brothers, Albert, Russell and Frank. A brother, Charles, and a sister, Mrs. Charles Godfrey, live in St. Louis. Another brother, Chester, is in Cleveland, O. He has other relatives in Alton. Collins' mother, Mrs. Charles Suess, lives at 715 Clement Place in Alton. His mother, who has been seriously ill and recently underwent a surgical operation, was expecting him home on a visit after he had completed this trip. It was a double shock to her as Mr. Beineke is her brother. He leaves a sister, Mrs. Frank Yenney, in Detroit, and a brother, W. C. Collins, in St. Louis. Both the killed and injured had many friends in Alton. The message telling of the injury of Mr. and Mrs. Beineke described his injuries as serious. The fact that Mr. and Mrs. Frank Yenney decided not to come on with the bodies, but to stay there with the Beineke couple, indicates to relatives here that Mrs. Beineke must be in a bad way. Messages asking as to his condition were dispatched Monday, as there was deep interest in the chances of the Beineke couple recovering. The funeral of Earl Yenney will be tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Twelfth Street Presbyterian church, where services will be conducted by the Rev. E. C. Combrink, pastor of the church, and interment will be in the City cemetery.


YERKES, TITUS PAUL (DOCTOR)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 28, 1913
Prominent Upper Alton Physician Dies
Dr. Titus Paul Yerkes, for over fifty years a successful, skillful physician and surgeon, died Thursday afternoon at his residence in Upper Alton, aged 77. His end was expected as he had been very ill for many months and confined to his home all of the time. He had been looking forward to an early close of his life, as his knowledge as a doctor made him realize that his end was not far off. He had been seeing many of his old friends and had been saying farewell to them, with the full knowledge that his end was near. Dr. Yerkes was known for the tenderness of his heart, his invariable good humor, his quick wit, and an unfailing skill in repartee. In all these he excelled quite as well as he did as a physician, and there was no doctor in Alton who had a better reputation for skill in his profession than did he. In the more than fifty years he had been engaged in his professional work in Alton, Dr. Yerkes had endeared himself to many families where he had entrance, and there is a very large number of his former patients who sincerely mourn his death.

An interesting fact was that Dr. Yerkes had as his principal rival in the affections of the people of his community Dr. E. C. Lemen, who died recently, and whose death was a sad shock to Dr. Yerkes. The two "rivals" in their professional work knew no real rivalry. They were close intimate friends and comrades. They lived on opposite sides of the street, close to each other, and co-operated in their work. Each recommended the other wherever possible, and the code of professional ethics was one of personal friendship.

Titus Paul Yerkes was born in Philadelphia, December 24, 1836. He came to Illinois when 16 years of age and settled at Metamora. In 1861 he took up a classical course at Shurtleff College. He began, in the same year, his studies at the Rush Medical College, and completed them in 1864. The same year he was appointed surgeon at Camp Butler at Springfield, in which capacity he remained until the close of the Civil War. He then came back to Alton and settled down to the practice of his profession. He was married to Miss Susetta B. Bostwick (daughter of John Bostwick), June 30, 1863, while he was still a medical student. She died December 26, 1910. Dr. Yerkes leaves one son, Dr. Lathy L. Yerkes, his successor in his practice, and two daughters, Mrs. Tracey Thomas and Mrs. C. E. Chamblin. He leaves also a sister, Mrs. Maggie Taylor, who arrived from Los Angeles, California, Wednesday, in time to see her brother alive. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home. The burial will be under the auspices of Franklin Lodge, No. 25, A. F. & A. M., of which the deceased was one of the oldest and, for many years, most active members. The Masonic services will be conducted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, a lifelong and intimate friend of the family. [Burial was in the Upper Alton Oakwood Cemetery.

Titus Yerkes, in 1858, attended the Lincoln – Douglas debate held in Alton. He was 22 years old at the time. He was among those who attended the wounded and dying after the Wann railroad disaster in East Alton in 1893. He was burned slightly on the head when burning oil rained down upon him. He later gave his testimony at the investigation.

Dr. Yerkes’ home was at the southwest corner of Washington Avenue and Edwards Street in Upper Alton. There were two large cast iron Newfoundland dogs that stood on either side of the home that children loved to climb on and ride. The dogs weighed 1,000 pounds each. The dogs were taken from a Southern plantation during the Civil War and shipped north. They fell into the hands of a captain of a river steamer, and he gave them to Dr. Yerkes at the close of the war. In later years, the cast iron dogs were in the yard of Mrs. Rose M. Streeper, at 849 Washington Avenue.

Dr. Titus Yerkes’ son, Dr. Lathy L. Yerkes, moved into the home after his father’s death and continued the practice until his death in 1928. In 1929 Mr. and Mrs. John Schlueter moved into the Yerkes home. Mrs. Schlueter was a sister of Mrs. Yerkes. The office building on the grounds used by Dr. Yerkes was leased to Dr. Edward F. Fischer. In 1936 the Yerkes home became a musical and fine arts studio, owned by Clara Pettingill. She taught piano and organized dramatic groups. The home was razed in 1956 for the construction of the Bank of Alton.


YOKUM, GEORGE PERRIN/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, September 30, 1882
Fatally Injured When Attacked
George P. Yokum, an old citizen and a native of Alton, died last evening at the age of 41 years, after lying in an unconscious state 24 hours from injuries inflicted, according to the evidence, by Philip Duvignon, who has resided here for four or five months.

Coroner Youree was notified immediately and arrived here last night. A jury was impaneled this morning, with Captain C. Ryan as foreman. The body was first viewed at the late residence on State Street. The face of the deceased was badly disfigured, a terrible bruise on the forehead, the left eye black and swollen, with other injuries less marked.

Witness John McCarty, near whose saloon on Front Street the occurrence took place, testified George Yokum came to his place September 27, sat down in a chair and fell asleep. A stranger came in, seized the sleeping man, cursed him and said, “Give me my key, I’ve been looking for you to knock the head off of you.” They went outside, and the man proved to be Duvignon. He caught the deceased by the coat collar with both hands, hurled him down with great force, his head striking the curb. He lay there unconscious. The man then dragged him to the rear door of Steiner & Ryrie’s store and left him there, blood pouring from his mouth.

Dr. W. Halliburton testified he saw Yokum Wednesday afternoon, the 27th, a half hour after the occurrence. He was conscious and said he would soon be all right. No bones were fractured. The doctor was called again Thursday evening at his residence. He was partially unconscious, and had concussion of the brain. He saw him again Friday morning, he was worse than on Thursday. He thought the death was the result of concussion caused by the fall on the curb.

Ben Allen, policeman, said he saw Yokum Thursday morning, and he looked badly used up, but when asked if he wished anything done by the police, said that he did not. After seeing Allen, Yokum went home and complained of pain in his head. He grew rapidly worse until death occurred.

The verdict of the jury was he came to his death by injuries inflicted by being thrown on the curbstone on Front Street, Wednesday afternoon, the 27th, by Philip Duvignon. The injuries caused concussion of the brain, resulting in death on Friday, September 29. A warrant was issued by Justice Noonan, and Marshal Reilly, with Office Schielle, went to Duvignon’s boarding house on Belle Street, opposite Mercantile Hall, and failing to find him there, proceeded to the house to which he was moving, near the corner of Belle and Seventh Streets, but were unsuccessful. He was later found on September 30 and arrested.

The deceased was well known in Alton, and possessed many excellent qualities. He was an ingenious mechanic, the master of several trades. His sad end is truly lamentable. Great sympathy is expressed for his bereaved family and aged parents. The funeral took place this afternoon from the family residence.

George Perrin Yokum was born in 1840 in Kentucky. He was the son of Elijah (1814-1891) and Hyla Clark (1809-1895) Yokum. He served during the Civil War in the 144th Illinois Infantry as Sergeant of Company D. He had at least two children – Hyla Isabel Yokum Hays (1874-1965) and Mattie M. Yokum Gray (1879-1967). He was buried in the Upper Alton Oakwood Cemetery.


YOMBIK, STEVE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 2, 1920
Fatally Injured AT Gissal Quarry
The funeral of Steve Yombik, who fell at the Gissal quarry on Wednesday and was fatally injured, was held this afternoon from St. Mary's Church at 3:30 o'clock. The late hour for the funeral was set because of the difficulty in the way of digging a grave in the frozen ground. A son of Yombik, his namesake, was here from Detroit to look after the funeral and make such arrangements about winding up his father's estate as could be done. The son said that his father leaves a wife and eight children in Austria. The son said that he would return to Detroit after the funeral. Yombik was a man who was highly thought of among his fellow countrymen, and he is said to have been a man with a very kind heart who was always ready to do for his fellow countrymen. Many acts of kindness he did to others were being told after he was killed.


YOUNG, ANTON/Source: Edwardsville Intelligencer, Wednesday, January 6, 1892
Found Mangled Near Big Four Track Near Edwardsville
The body of Anton Young was found horribly mangled near the Big Four track near Edwardsville Crossing, New Year's morning. He and his sisters and brothers attended a dance near Comstock the night before. They, in company with the operator at Comstock, started for home early in the morning, walking up the track. When about a half mile above Edwardsville Crossing, Young fell back of the party and sat on the track. The operator, noticing his absence, and knowing that a train would soon be along, went back and urged Young to follow. Young said he would get up and come. The operator paid no more attention to him and left. Young was struck by a C. B. & Q freight train which passed a few minutes later. Coroner Bonner held an inquest. The evidence did not show that Young had been drinking, but it is thought that he had.


YOUNG, CHILD OF J. C./Source: Alton Telegraph, July 11, 1851
It is stated that but three deaths of cholera have occurred on Smooth Prairie (Fosterburg). These were Mrs. Harris; a child of J. C. Young, Esq., and a child of Mr. J. M. Foster.


YOUNG, EDWARD/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 31, 1903
The funeral of Edward Young, who died Thursday morning, was held this afternoon from the family home in East Alton to Milton cemetery. Mr. Young was a resident of Upper Alton for many years.


YOUNG, ELLEN MARY ISABELLA (nee HURLBUT)/Source: Alton Telegraph, October 7, 1880
Daughter of Rev. Thaddeus Beeman Hurlbut
The news of the death of this gifted and estimable lady has cast a gloom over the community. The sad event took place yesterday morning at the residence of her father, Rev. T. B. Hurlbut in Upper Alton. She had been ill for nearly ten weeks with gastric fever, and about twelve days ago was removed from her home in Virden to Upper Alton, in hopes that the change would prove beneficial, but without avail. It is hard to realize that so useful and beautiful a life has been cut short in its prime. Not alone on the family and relatives, but on a large circle of devoted friends will this bereavement fall with crushing weight.

Mrs. Young was the eldest daughter of Rev. and Mrs. T. B. Hurlbut, and was born in St. Louis, October 24, 1834. Her parents soon after removed to Upper Alton, where she passed her childhood, and resided, with the exception of brief intervals, until her marriage to Rev. J. L. M. Young. She was a graduate of Monticello Seminary of the class of 1854. From early youth she was remarkable for her scholastic abilities. She was gifted with remarkable talent as a writer, and had won an enviable position in the world of letters. She wielded a brilliant and facile pen, and whatever her topic, whether grave or gay, profound or descriptive, she was equally able, entertaining, and instructive. Her many letters to the Telegraph, mainly scenes of travel, were always greatly admired for their vivid description, elegance of diction, and naturalness of style, but they exhibited only one phase of her versatile talent as a writer. Her papers on social and literary subjects, and on the sphere and rights of women, were unsurpassed in skillful presentation of facts and logical acumen by those of any writer on similar themes.

As the devoted daughter, the faithful wife and mother, her character exhibited the most beautiful aspects of Christian womanhood. She was for many years a veritable ministering angel to all about her, self-sacrifice and singleness of purpose in laboring for others making up her daily life. To what extent these characteristics were displayed can only be appreciated by those upon whom fell the steady sunlight of her tender care and watchfulness. And these same qualities she carried into her life work as a minister’s wife, winning the love and affection of her husband’s parishioners and by her womanly graces and scholastic accomplishments raising to a higher plane the social and moral life of the communities with which she became connected.

Nearly ten weeks ago, at her home in Virden, she was stricken with her last illness. About eight weeks later, she was removed to her old home, and for a time it seemed that an improvement was manifest, but on Tuesday, she commenced sinking, and yesterday morning breathed her last. The long suffering was borne with patience and resignation to the very end. Her bereaved husband and one child are left to mourn their irreparable loss.

Sixteen years ago, the aged parents were called to mourn the death of their only son, the gallant and accomplished soldier, who went down to death in the battle of the Wilderness, and today their cup of sorrow is again overflowing. Of their three children, but one now remains – Mrs. I. H. Evans of Palestine, Texas, who was with her sister during her last illness. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon from the residence of Rev. T. B. Hurlbut, Upper Alton. [Burial was in the Alton City Cemetery.]


YOUNG, HENRY J./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 5, 1904
Mr. Henry J. Young, a well known and extremely well liked glassblower, died Monday morning at his home, 735 east Sixth street after an illness since last Wednesday night of pneumonia. He came to Alton from the east in 1880, and learned his trade at the Illinois glass factory where he always worked. His age was 46 years, 5 months and 18 days. He leaves a wife and two children, William and Bessie. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.


YOUNG, KATIE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, February 4, 1910
Miss Katie Young, aged 18, died Friday morning at the family home on Spring street after an illness of only a few days. She was taken sick Wednesday night with pneumonia. Miss Young was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Young, the father being a well known butcher. Beside her parents, Miss Young leaves a brother and two sisters, Mrs. Oscar Tonsor and Miss Bertha Young. Her death was very unexpected. Although it was known she was very ill, the shortness of time between her being taken ill and her death did not give the parents any reason for fearing that the outcome of her illness would be as it was. She was a half-sister of Paul Lampert. The funeral will be Sunday afternoon from St. Mary's church.


YOUNG, M. G./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 23, 1919
Mrs. M. G. Young, aged 76, died last night at the Nazareth Home. Mrs. Young has been at the Home for a year, and so far as known has no close relatives. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.


YOUNG, MARTHA/Source: Alton Telegraph, November 20, 1846
Died in Smooth Prairie [Fosterburg], Madison County, on the 17th inst., Mrs. Martha Young, consort of John C. Young, Esq., aged 37 years. Mrs. Young was a devoted follower of Christ, and died rejoicing in the Christian's hope. She has left a devoted husband and seven children to mourn her loss, but "they mourn not as those who have no hope," "for blessed are the dead who died in the Lord."


YOUNG, MATILDA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 13, 1904
Widow of Henry Young
Mrs. Matilda Young, widow of Henry Young who died one week ago Monday, died from pneumonia Tuesday morning at 5:30 o'clock at the family home, Sixth and Ridge streets. Mrs. Young assisted in nursing her husband through his illness from pneumonia and immediately after his death she was stricken with the same disease and was unable to attend the funeral. The grief she felt over her husband's untimely death, together with the ravages of the disease from which she suffered, proved too much for her and she passed away early Tuesday morning after great suffering. Mrs. Young leaves two children who are thus deprived by death of both their father and their mother, and in their double affliction within eight days they have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. Mr. Young was an excellent father and man of excellent habits. The mother was entirely devoted to her family. The funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon from the family home at 2 o'clock, and services will be conducted by Rev. W. F. Isler of the German Methodist church.


YOUNG, MURIEL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 9, 1897
Muriel, the four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Young, died Friday night, after a short sickness with congestion of the brain. The funeral took place Saturday afternoon from the church to Milton cemetery, and was attended by numerous people who thus attested their sympathy for the afflicted family.


YOUNG, SAMUEL A./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 23, 1917
Conductor on Wabash and Burlington Railroads
Samuel A. Young, for many years a passenger conductor on the Wabash and the Burlington railroads, died at his home, 917 Alton street, Monday evening at 8:30 o'clock, from the grippe. He had been in bad health since last summer, and an attack of the grippe added to the maladies which had already weakened him, proved fatal. Mr. Young lived in Alton many years ago, and after an absence of a long time he came back here three years ago to engage in business. He started the Alton Rapid Service Co., and he made a reputation for quick deliveries. He continued in this business with much success until ill health forced his retirement, and he sold out December 1. Since then he was confined to his home much of the time. Mr. Young was born in Gelena, Ill., January 10, 1856. He spent his early life in St. Louis and Alton and he was married here February 18, 1880, to Lucy E. Tindall of Upper Alton. He is survived by his wife and two children, George A. Young and Mrs. Frank Hopkins. He leaves also three brothers, J. J. Young of St. Louis, W. A. Young of Minneapolis and Capt. E. D. Young of Alton, and two sisters, Mrs. P. T. Whelan of St. Louis and Mrs. C. J. McCombs of Marshalltown, Iowa. During the period Mr. Young was a railroad conductor he worked 20 years for the Wabash railroad and nine years for the Burlington. He was a devoted member of the Masonic fraternity and the burial will be under Masonic auspices. The funeral will be held Thursday morning at 9:30 o'clock from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hopkins, 903 Alton street. Rev. E. L. Gibson will have charge of the funeral services.


YOUNG, UNKNOWN MAN/Source: Alton Telegraph, March 1, 1872
A gentleman named Young died at Moro on Saturday last. He was in the 88th year of his age, and had resided in Moro but a short time.


YOUNGBERG, AUGUST/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 27, 1904
Employed at Hapgood Plow Works
August Youngberg, aged 52, died Saturday morning at 9 o'clock after a week's illness with typhoid fever at his home in Clement place. Mr. Youngberg's death was a surprise to his friends who did not know his illness had taken such a serious turn. He had lived in Alton all his life and had been employed about thirty years at the Hapgood plow works, where he was a valued employee. He leaves his wife and six children. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the family home.


YOUNGBERG, ELLEN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 24, 1921
Widow of August Youngberg
Mrs. Ellen Youngberg, widow of August Youngberg, died this morning at her home, 407 Grand avenue, after a long illness. She had been bedfast the last two weeks of her life, but for months she had been failing in strength because of a paralysis that was continually extending its scope. Mrs. Youngberg was born in the city of Alton, August 16, 1859, and had spent all of her life in this city. Her maiden name was Mook. Mr. Youngberg died a number of years ago, leaving her a family of children. She is survived by four sons, Fred, Charles, Philip and Julius, and two daughters, Miss Nellie Youngberg and Mrs. Florence Welheart. She leaves also three brothers, Charles, James and Emil Mook; and one sister, Miss Flora Mook. Mrs. Youngberg had many friends in Alton who have been watching with interest the progress of the malady, especially in the last two weeks of her life when she began to manifest symptoms of rapid decline.


YOUNGBLOOD, ED/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 4, 1898
Suicides by Shooting Self
Ed Youngblood, a well known resident of North Alton, killed himself at noon today by firing a pistol ball into his brain. He had been despondent for some time because of financial troubles and had been drinking heavily. Shortly after dinner today he went into his bedroom and laying down on the floor placed the pistol muzzle over his right eye and pulled the trigger. The ball lodges in the base of the brain in the back of his head, causing almost instant death. The family hurried to the room at hearing the shot and found him in death agony. Dr. Worden was summoned, but Youngblood was dead when he arrived. He has a wife and four small children and was only 36 years of age. Coroner Bailey was sent for and went out to hold an inquest. A jury was impanelled, an inquest held and a verdict of suicide was found in accordance with facts related above.


YOUNGBLOOD, ELIZABETH/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 28, 1914
Wife of Jacob Youngblood
Mrs. Elizabeth Youngblood, wife of Jacob Youngblood, aged 60, died this afternoon at 515 William street after a long illness. She leaves seven children. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Russel Wolf.


YOUNGBLOOD, GEORGE H./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 8, 1900
Civil War Veteran; Constable; Proprietor of Livery Stable
Mr. George H. Youngblood, a well known citizen of North Alton, died at the family home Friday evening at 6:20, aged 70 years. Mr. Youngblood was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, and came to this country when 13 years of age and settled in New Jersey. The following year he came west and took up his residence near Elsah on a farm. In 1880 he moved his family to Joplin, Mo., where he started a livery stable. Later he returned to North Alton, and lived there the last ten years of his life. Twelve years ago he was stricken with paralysis as the result of being shot during the war while attempting to arrest some Knights of the Golden Circle near Newbern. Mr. Youngblood was then a constable. He became helpless during the last years of his life. He leaves eight children, five sons and three daughters, all grown: George, Louis, William, Jacob and Frank Youngblood, of North Alton; Mrs. Albert Carman of Joplin, Mo.; Mrs. J. M. Robinson of Texas; and Mrs. Richard Strong of North Alton. The funeral will be from the family home on Sunday to the Evangelical church, services will be held at both places, and interment will be in City Cemetery.


YOUNGBLOOD, LAURA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, November 13, 1918
Wife of Adolph Youngblood
Mrs. Laura Youngblood, wife of Adolph Youngblood, died last night at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Pillsbury, on Central avenue, from influenza. Her husband is in the United States Navy, and in addition she is survived by two children, one 3 years old, the other a year old. Her parents and some brothers and sisters survive. She was a member of Bluff City Court of Honor. The funeral will be tomorrow and will be private. When the United States went to war Mrs. Youngblood's husband decided that it was his duty to go into the navy. He sought a release from the Exemption Board, saying his wife was willing for him to go and leave her with their two children. He was told his wife would have to come to the board and make her acquiescence known, and she did. She expressed herself as being perfectly willing to assume the responsibility of taking care of the children. She said she could work, and that she believed, with what he would send her, she would be able to "get by." The same view was held by Youngblood. Finally the husband and father got the desired release, he joined the navy and has been in service on a torpedo boat. The family were trying today to get into touch with the husband to inform him that the two little children he left at home are motherless. It is a case of a woman of intense patriotism being willing to send her husband into the navy, where he had once served a term of enlistment, to do his part in the great war for his country and his country's flag. Mrs. Youngblood manifested the utmost willingness to deny herself and to perform any work she could get to help keep her little family while the husband and father was in the service. Recently Youngblood came home on a furlough and at a meeting in Washington School which he attended, he made a short talk in which he thanked the people for being kind to his wife and children, and helping them to "get by."


YOUNGBLOOD, WALTER/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, August 20, 1887
Died at Clifton [Terrace], on August 14, of brain fever, Walter, son of J. J. and Elizabeth Youngblood; aged 4 years, one month, and three days.


YOUNGWORTH, JOSEPH A./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 7, 1901
J. A. Youngworth, an old resident of Bethalto, was found dead in bed at his home Sunday. He was 81 years of age and had been unwell for a day or so. Mrs. Youngworth was up often during the night waiting on him, and at last fell into a sleep that lasted until 11 o'clock Sunday. She thought then her husband was sick, the idea of death never entering her head. She prepared breakfast and waited for him to get up. A son, Frank, called shortly afternoon and discovered the truth. Deputy Coroner Streeper held an inquest and a verdict of death from natural causes was rendered.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, January 11, 1901
Bethalto News - Mr. Joseph Youngwirth was found dead in bed Sunday afternoon about 3 o'clock. He was last seen alive by his wife at 11, when she prepared something for him to eat, which he refused to eat. He fell into a sleep from which he never awoke, and death came without a struggle, from the fact that he lay in bed just as if asleep. Deputy Coroner Streeper was notified, selected the jury and they, with their foreman 'Squire Piggott,' returned a verdict of death from feebleness. The funeral was conducted from the Catholic church by Rev. Fr. Meyers of Mitchell, on Tuesday. He was born in Bohemia, Germany, was 84 years of age, and lived in this village 47 years, was married twice, his last wife still survives him. Immanuel and Mary of Kansas City, and Ferdinand of Chicago attended the funeral. John and Tony being unable to get here. Thus another landmark has been laid to rest.


YOUREE, UNKNOWN/Source: Alton Telegraph, March 10, 1881
Wife of Dr. C. S. Youree, Coroner of Madison County
Dr. C. S. Youree, Coroner of this county, was so unfortunate as to lose his wife by death on March 2. The sad event was caused by consumption after a year’s illness. A trip to the sunny south and all other means proved unavailing in staying the ravages of the dread disease. Dr. Youree has the sympathy of his many friends in his bereavement.


YUILL, CLARA/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, August 30, 1882
Died in Alton, August 29, 1882, Mrs. Clara Yuill, wife of David Yuill; aged 36 years and 8 months. The funeral will take place from the family residence, Fourth Street, between George and Langdon, tomorrow afternoon. Mrs. Yuill was born in Truro, Nova Scotia, and resided there until about a year ago, when she came to Litchfield, and from there to Alton, about two months ago.


YUNGCK, JACOB P./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 7, 1919
Jacob P. Yungck died last night at his home, 233 Elm Street, after a long illness with stomach and heart trouble. He had been a very sick man for about ten months, but of late had been feeling considerable better, and was looking hopefully forward to being able to get about again. Yesterday evening, he was feeling no worse than he had been for several days, and was up and around until about 11 o’clock at night, when the last member of the family retired, after asking him if he desired anything else. This morning, early, he was found dead in bed. Mr. Yungck was a man of great energy and industry, and of sterling integrity. He was prominently identified with the contracting business for many years, and at one time was one of the proprietors of the North Alton Custom Mills, which he conducted in connection with the late Michael Grow. He was born in Spandes, Indiana, and came to Alton in 1880, where he had lived ever since. He would have been 70 years of age in May. Last September, a daughter, Mrs. James Hayes, died in the same house, and December 232, his wife died in the same place. He leaves two sons and three daughters – E. G. Yungck, Harry Yungck, Emma Yungck, Mrs. Alfred Lawson, and Mrs. Reid Montgomery. Also, three sisters and two brothers. The funeral will be Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. to Upper Alton Cemetery.


Back to the Top