Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind


Obituaries - Surname Z

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser



ZABEL, FRANCIS H. (REVEREND)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 24, 1920
Pioneer Priest, Dean of Alton Diocese; Talented Musician
Reverend Francis H. Zabel, D. D., a pioneer priest and Dean in the Diocese of Alton, died shortly after 7 o'clock this morning at his home on Danforth street, after a long illness. His condition has been serious for some time and his death was expected. He was 81 years old. Dean Zabel came to Alton about six years ago to become Chaplain at the Ursuline Novitiate on Danforth street, and has remained here since that time. He was a talented musician and a linguist of note. While living near the Novitiate he taught music and languages to the Novices. He also directed the choir, which is noted for its music. He was born February 19, 1839, at Erbeville, near Nancy, France. He was ordained a priest in Rome, September 20, 1861, by Cardinal Patrize, and came to this country shortly afterwards. He held several pastorates in the Alton Diocese, including Springfield, East St. Louis, Cairo and Bunker Hill. He came to Alton from Bunker Hill. He was a member of Alton Council, Knights of Columbus. In 1911 he celebrated his golden anniversary of priesthood in the Immaculate Conception church in Springfield. Fr. Zabel and Rev. Hoven celebrated the golden anniversary at the same ceremony. Rev. Hoven died some time ago. The funeral will be held Tuesday morning at St. Peter and Paul's Cathedral, with Pontificial High Mass, the office of the dead beginning at 9 o'cvlock, with Rt. Rev. J. J. Ryan, D. D., Bishop of Alton as celebrant of the mass. The assisting priest will be the REv. Msgr. T. Hickey V. G., of Springfield, or the Rev. Msgr. E. L. Spalding of the Cathedral. The deans of honor, Rev. Joseph Meckel of St. Mary's church, Alton, and Rev. C. Johannes of Nokomis, Ill. The deacon of the mass, Rev. E. B. Kehoe of St. Patrick's church, Alton, and the sub-deacon, Rev. D. J. Ryan of Granite City. Rev. M. A. Tarrant and Rev. M. Costello of the Cathedral will be Masters of Ceremonies, and Rev. E. J. Eckhard of Edwardsville and Rev. H. B. Schnelton of St. Mary's church, Alton, Cantores. Rev. Spalding will preach the funeral sermon. Dean Zabel is survived by a brother and distant relatives in France. Monday afternoon at three o'clock the body will be removed to the Cathedral where it will lie in state until the Pontifical Mass Tuesday morning. Friends can view the remains at the church. There will be a special meeting of the Alton Council of the Knights of Columbus tonight, to take action in regard to the death of Father Zabel. The meeting has been called for 7:30 in the club rooms in the Spalding building.


ZAFF, NICHOLAS/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, September 9, 1887
Nicholas Zaff, a resident of Madison County for the past 46 years, died at his home near Highland yesterday; aged 75 years.


ZAKRZESURKI, HELEN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 24, 1922
Child Rescues Mother From Fire, Is Fatally Burned Herself
Helen Zakrzesurki, 9 years, 11 months of age, died in St. Joseph's hospital Saturday afternoon from the effects of burns she suffered as the result of the explosion of a can of stove polish she had been using on a stove at the family home in Wood River. The burning of the child was the result of the near burning of the mother, Mrs. Lottie Zarzesurki. The mother was clearing up the home and had put some trash in a stove to burn it. The trash flared out and setting fire to the mother's sleeve, started to burn her. The mother's cries attracted the attention of the girl who was in the next room polishing a stove, and using the can of polish. The girl rushed in, set the can of polish on the stove in which the fire was burning, and helped her mother. The can of polish became hot, blew up, and scattered the burning ???? over the girl. Her clothing caught fire and before anything could be done for her, she was burned fatally. The child was hurried to St. Joseph's hospital where she died a few hours later. The body will be buried in St. Louis tomorrow.


ZEITZ, LORENZ/Source: Alton Daily Telegraph, December 7, 1887
From Highland, Dec. 6 – Lorenz Zeitz, a farmer, aged 55 years, was struck this evening by the New York express at Troy, about ten miles west of here, and instantly killed. At the time of the accident, he was under the influence of liquor. A brakeman tried to get him to move before being struck by calling to him, but failed.


ZEPP, UNKNOWN WIFE OF WILLIAM J./Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 15, 1909
The funeral of Mrs. William J. Zepp was held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Congregational church at Sixth and Henry street. Services were conducted by Rev. A. G. Lane of the First Presbyterian church. There were many friends and relatives of Mrs. Zepp at the funeral. The ladies of the Maccabees attended to show their respect for their deceased sister.


ZERWAS, HENRIETTA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 9, 1904
Mrs. Fritz Zerwas died Tuesday evening at her home in Riverview addition, after a long illness with a complication of diseases. She was 42 years of age and leaves a husband and eight children. She was a daughter of Mrs. M. Wannamacher of the Grafton road, and her mother and brothers survive. She was widely known and well liked and respected for her kindly, charitable disposition. The funeral will be Thursday morning from the Cathedral.

Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, March 10, 1904
The funeral of Mrs. Henrietta Zerwas, wife of Fritz Zerwas, was held this morning from the Cathedral. Interment was made at Greenwood cemetery.


ZERWAS, NICHOLAS/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 1, 1900
Engaged in the Baking Business
Nicholas Zerwas died at the home of his son, Nicholas Zerwas Jr., at North Alton yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock. He had been in feeble health for a number of years and has been blind the last five years of his life. Mr. Zerwas was born in Germany 88 years ago, and came to this country in the early part of his life, settling in Alton, where he followed the baking trade for some time. Later he moved to Arkansas, but for the past six years has made his home in North Alton. He leaves six children: Miss Kate Zerwas of Monroe County; Peter Zerwas of Nokomis; Mrs. Teresa Rosing and Mrs. C. Engel of Shoal Creek, Arkansas; and Fred and Nicholas Zerwas of North Alton. The funeral will take place Thursday morning from St. Mary's church.


ZERWAS, VERNA (nee MEYER)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 24, 1920
Wife of Fred Zerwas Jr.
Mrs. Verna Meyer Zerwas, wife of Fred Zerwas Jr., died of uraemic poisoning at the home of her mother, Mrs. Ann Meyer, on West Elm street, this morning at 7:30 o'clock. Mrs. Zerwas, who was 29 years of age April 21, had been in poor health for the past three weeks, and was moved from her home on the Grafton road to that of her mother's in the hope that the change would be beneficial and where she could be given closer care by members of her family. She leaves besides her husband, one little son, Paul, aged 20 months; her mother; one sister, Mildred; and three brothers; Chris, Harry L. and Dr. O. A. Meyer; besides many other relatives. Mrs. Zerwas was the youngest daughter of the late Peter Meyer, who died about four years ago, and his wife, Mrs. Anna Meyer. She was born and reared in the country north of Alton, coming to Alton with her parents when they moved on Elm street. She had a winning way and was much loved by all who knew her well. She was married July 10, 1917 to Mr. Fred Zerwas Jr., and lived a happy life in their new home on the Grafton road. Because of her amicable disposition and many admirable qualities, Mrs. Zerwas was a great favorite in the North Side, and the news of her death was the cause of great sadness in a wide circle of friends. It was not generally known that her condition was so bad, and until the last there was hopes of a change for the better setting in. The body of Mrs. Zerwas will remain at the home of the mother, where friends may see it. The funeral services will be held from the SS Peter and Paul's Cathedral Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock.


ZIATARI, GEORGE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 22, 1907
Employee at Standard Oil Refinery
George Ziatari, a young Hungarian who had been employed at the Standard Oil refinery site, died Sunday night at St. Joseph's hospital and was buried Monday afternoon in Greenwood cemetery after services were conducted in St. Patrick's church by Rev. Francis Kehoe and two priests from St. Mary's church. The dead youth was 21 years old, and died from brain paralysis. Relatives and countrymen attended the funeral, and the interpreter had C. O. Howard, the photographer, go to the church and take some pictures of the dead man, the coffin, the priests and pallbearers. The latter were Hungarians and their photographs will be recognized by people in the old country. The dead man's face was pictured perfectly by Mr. Howard, and the photographs will be sent "back home," the interpreter said, one of them going to the mother of deceased, the others to relatives. He said also that the youth belonged to a society which paid death benefits for families of deceased members, and the photographs of the casket, etc., were necessary to establish the death claim.


ZIEGENFUSS, EARL/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 8, 1921
The funeral services of Earl Ziegenfuss will be held Saturday afternoon at two o'clock from the family home at 1216 Victory street. Interment in the City Cemetery.


ZIEGENFUSS, VICTORIA/Source: Alton Telegraph, December 23, 1880
Mrs. Victoria Ziegenfuss, a German lady 62 years old, was found dead in her bed about daylight, Wednesday, by her husband, William Ziegenfuss, at their residence in the hollow, three or four blocks due north of the City Cemetery. Deputy Sheriff Rudershausen, learning of the sad affair, telegraphed Coroner Youree, who arrived on the Kansas City train at 10 o’clock, and immediately proceeded to impanel a jury. The inquest was held at the late residence of the deceased. William Ziegenfuss, husband of the deceased, a peddler by occupation, was the only witness examined as to the circumstances of the death. He stated that his wife had been in good health, excepting a slight indisposition about two weeks ago, from which she had, apparently, entirely recovered. She retired to rest at 9 o’clock last night, was awake and seeming well at 3:30 o’clock this morning. About daylight, the witness, after attending to some work around the house, attempted to arouse his wife and found that she was dead, though yet warm, having died without a struggle or movement, so far as could be ascertained. The witness further testified that the relations of himself and deceased had always been pleasant, and this was corroborated by neighbors and friends who were present. The verdict of the jury was that death was caused by paralysis of the heart. Deceased leaves, besides her husband, two children, a son and daughter, some stepchildren, and a sister, Mrs. Brennan, to mourn her death.


ZIEGENFUSS, WILLIAM/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, September 24, 1904
William Ziegenfuss, who was stricken with paralysis at St. Joseph's hospital Friday morning, died at 7:30 o'clock Friday night after a short illness. He was stricken with paralysis and did not rally. Mr. Ziegenfuss was 84 years of age and had lived in Alton many years. He is survived by two children, William Ziegenfuss and Mrs. John Aldinger, and an adopted son, John Bauer. For some time Mr. Ziegenfuss had been an inmate of the hospital, although not very ill. He was a native of Germany. The body was taken to the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Aldinger, 637 east Fourth street. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock from St. Mary's church, and burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery.


ZIEGLER, FLORENCE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 10, 1912
Miss Florence Ziegler, aged 21, died Monday night at 10:15 o'clock at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John H. Ziegler, 1220 east Third street. The young woman had been ill for a long time, and some time ago she made a trip to Colorado in the hope that her health would be benefited. The change did her no permanent good, and she returned to Alton. She was formerly employed as a stenographer in the office of S. F. Connor. The funeral will be held Thursday morning and services will be in St. Patrick's church.


ZIMMER, BERNARD/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, June 4, 1918
Fearing that the news of the death of her husband might be fatal to Mrs. Bernard Zimmer, critically ill at her home on Highland avenue, the death of Bernard Zimmer, a bricklayer, was not announced to the wife this morning, although she learned later that he had succumbed. Zimmer's body was removed to the William H. Bauer undertaking rooms. Plans for the funeral have not been completed. Zimmer was 35 years old. He had been ill for several months with a complication of diseases. Mrs. Zimmer is seriously ill and it is feared she cannot recover. It was thought that her end would be hastened if she learned of her husband's death, but efforts to keep the news from her failed. Mr. Zimmer died in a room adjoining that in which his wife lies ill. Owing to the condition of Mrs. Zimmer, the funeral will be from the Bauer undertaking rooms at 8:30 a.m. Thursday to St. Patrick's Church.


ZIMMER, UNKNOWN WIFE OF MARTIN/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, August 6, 1912
Mrs. Martin Zimmer died very suddenly this morning from heart failure while hunting for a house. She was across the street from St. Joseph's hospital, resting, when she suddenly collapsed. She had evidently experienced a new attack of heart trouble, and had sat down until she could recover her breath. She was noticed by a son of Magnus Steiner, who called his father and carried Mrs. Zimmer to the hospital. A doctor was summoned, but Mrs. Zimmer was dead before anything could be done for her. Mrs. Zimmer was accompanied, at the time of her death, by her sister, Mrs. Myrtle Crossno. Mrs. Zimmer had gone to get a key to the house she was to inspect, and returning complained of feeling sick. She had suffered from heart trouble for eight months. Mrs. Zimmer was 34 years of age, and leaves her husband and one son, also her mother and three brothers, Edward, Walter and Elmer Crossno. The family came to Alton ten months ago. The husband is track foreman for the A. G. & StL. The body will be sent to Mt. Vernon, leaving Alton early Thursday morning.


ZIMMERMAN, FRANK/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 22, 1904
Ship Carpenter
Frank Zimmerman, one of the best known river men in Alton, died Thursday night at St. Joseph's hospital after a long illness, in his 38th year. Mr. Zimmerman was a ship carpenter by trade, and for many years was employed on the Government fleet. Several years ago he began to suffer from severe headaches, and subsequently his trouble was diagnosed as a tumorous growth in his head. At times he was almost insane from suffering, and was at last removed to St. Joseph's hospital. A few days ago his eyesight failed from the growth inside his head. He leaves a wife and five children and four brothers, George, Joseph, John and William Zimmerman. He was a steady industrious man and was well liked by all who knew him. He was well known as a local politician. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the family home on Market street, near Tenth street.


ZIMMERMAN, HILKA/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, April 12, 1901
Mrs. Hilka Zimmerman, widow of John Zimmerman, died Thursday afternoon at the family home near Moro after a long illness. She was the mother of a well known family and had lived near Moro many years. She had two children at home, Miss Hilka and William Zimmerman, and some children of mature years who have moved from Moro.


ZIMMERMAN, JOSEPHINE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, December 2, 1910
Mrs. Josephine Zimmerman died Thursday evening at the home of her son, John C. Ulrich, two miles east of Upper Alton. She had been ill for many years with an affliction of the liver, which caused her death. Mrs. Zimmerman was 77 years of age, having been born in Baden, Germany in 1833. She had resided in the Upper Alton district for over forty years, up to the time of her death, and was known as an active woman. She leaves two sons, John Ulrich, with whom she resided, and Otto Ulrich of St. Louis. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and her funeral will be held from the church of this denomination Monday morning at 10 o'clock. The remains will be buried in the Godfrey cemetery. Mrs. Zimmerman leaves three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.


ZIMMERMAN, UNKNOWN/Source: Alton Telegraph, October 14, 1864
Murdered Near Edwardsville
We learn from the Edwardsville Advertiser that a most foul murder was committed near the bridge over the Cahokia, on the road to Alton, on Sunday last. The murdered man was shot through the head with shot, his face and eyes being terribly mangled. He was dead when found on Monday morning. His name was Zimmerman, and bore an excellent character, and was a German by birth. It is supposed he was murdered by a man by the name of John Geddel, a Swiss by birth and a resident of Edwardsville. Geddel was arrested in Illinoistown [East St. Louis] a short time after the murdered man was discovered. They formerly cultivated a farm together in co-partnership.


ZIMMERMANN, AUGUST/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 15, 1919
Struck by Auto
The coroner's jury at the inquest into the death of August Zimmermann yesterday, returned a verdict of accidental death. The jury decided that death was due to an "unavoidable accident." Zimmerman was struck by an automobile driven by William Sunier on East Broadway between Henry and Langdon streets Monday, and was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he died early yesterday. Evidence of Arthur Johnson, who drove a car behind Sunier from the Elks to the scene of the accident, was that his speedometer registered 12 miles an hour at the time of the accident. Robert Collins, who was in the wagon from which the old man stepped before being struck by Sunier's car, testified he did not see the accident.


ZIMMERMAN, PAULINE/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 30, 1922
Mrs. Pauline Zimmerman, widow of John Zimmerman, died this morning from old age at the Nazareth Home. She was 87 years of age and had lived in Alton forty-two years. Her death followed a long period of disability, due to her advanced age. She leaves a large number of descendants. Among them are three sons, William, George and Joseph, and one daughter, Mrs. Annie Bradley of Centerville, Ohio; also thirty-six grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren. Her husband died before she came to Alton. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Nazareth Home and burial will be in City Cemetery.


ZINI, LOUIS/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 10, 1921
A typical case of the old fashioned malignant flu was the cause of the death of Louis Zini, aged 38, a lead works employee who succumbed unexpectedly Sunday morning as he was being prepared to be moved to the hospital for treatment. Zini was taken sick five days before his death. On Saturday pneumonia developed and Sunday morning a consultation of doctors was held and it was decided to move him to the hospital. The ambulance was sent after him and he was being dressed for removal when his heart gave out and he died. The ambulance driver was told to go on without him. The death of Zini is another of the tragedies of the flu. He leaves a wife and five young children, the youngest of which was born eight days before the father died. Zini is said by those who knew him to have been a good father and husband and his death leaves the wife and five children in a bad way.


ZOELZER, FRED/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, October 24, 1907
Fred Zoelzer of Moro died last night at 11:30 o'clock at the family home from old age. He was 84 years and 2 months and 16 days. The funeral will be held Saturday morning at 11 o'clock from the German church on the Springfield road near Moro, Rev. Laatch officiating. Mr. Zoelzer came to America from Germany in 1856. He was twice married, leaving two sons and two daughters by his first marriage, F. C. Zoelzer and Henry Zoelzer, Mrs. Anna Backs and Mrs. Louis Schaake. He leaves two sons and one daughter by his second marriage, George, Charles and Mary, all living at Moro.


ZOLK, SEBASTIAN/Source: Highland Newspaper, Unknown date in 1904 - Submitted by Karlheinz Zolk
Pioneer Farmer
Sebastian Zolk, an aged, well known and esteemed settler and resident of this vicinity, died suddenly of heart failure last Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. He was in good spirits and about his usual work when the final summons came without warning. Mr. Zolk was born April 25, 1831, in Langenbruecken, Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, and had thus attained the age of 72 yrs., 11 months, and 20 days. He came to this country in 1852, landing in New York, whence he went to Chicago. At the latter place he was employed in building a bridge across the Illinois River for the Illinois Central RR. and shortly thereafter left for Highland, where he engaged in farming near St. Morgan. Here he was married to Miss Emansia Gundli, which union was blessed with two children, of whom one died in infancy. His first wife preceded in death in 1860, and in Dec. 1861 Mr. Zolk married a second time, his choice for this marriage being Miss Rosa Rall, who survives him. Eleven children were the fruitage of this union, seven of them living today, three having died in infancy, and one, Miss Louisa Zolk, departed this life some years ago at the age of twenty-eight. Mr. Zolk, the subject of this sketch, also lived for a short time in Clinton County, near Breese. For 25 years he occupied a farm south of here, between this city and St. Morgan, until in 1893 he bought the old Bosshardt place just south of Highland, where he was engaged as a wine grower up to his end. Besides his sorrowing wife he leaves eight children and ten grandchildren, and numerous more distant relatives, as well as a large circle of friends and acquaintances. The children are: Mrs. Kate Klute of St. Louis from the first marriage, and from the second the following: Mrs. Mary Bonacker and Frank Zolk of Highland; Wendlyn Zolk of St. Louis, and John Zolk, Miss Lena Zolk, Mrs. Emma (John) Zimmerman and Eddie Zolk, all of Highland. The funeral, in charge of Chas. Schiettinger, took place last Sat. forenoon, services being held in St. Paul's church at 10 o'clock after which the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery. The pallbearers were: Messrs. Adam Keilbach, Thomas Litz, John Zimmermann Sr., J. H. Leef, Louis Lehmann and Joseph Widmer.


ZOOK, JOHN (alias ALBERT MURPHEY)/Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, May 13, 1907
Brakeman Falls Under His Train at Lockhaven
John Zook, alias Albert Murphey, a brakeman on the C. P. & St. L railroad, fell under his train the other side of Lockhaven Saturday night, and both of his legs were severed from his body between the knees and hips. Zook is in a critical condition at the St. Joseph's hospital where he was taken, and cannot possibly recover. Zook had a terrible experience according to his own story. He was in the act of jumping from a box car to a flat car loaded with lumber when he missed his footing, and landed on the end of a board which sprung him into the air and allowed him to fall down between the cars onto the track. Zook stated that he knew he was under the train and tried to get his head under the wheels so that he would meet death and not be a terrible cripple. He will probably realize his wish in this respect anyway, as he cannot recover. Zook's cries were heard by the other trainmen and he was picked up and sent back to Alton on the evening passenger train. He gave his name as Albert Murphy at the time, but at the hospital told the physicians that his name was John Zook, and asked that they notify his mother and sister in Indianapolis, Ind. When the injured man was picked up his two limbs were completely severed from his body, several cars having passed over them. Zook died at 12 o'clock today after suffering intensely for many hours. It was his wish he die, one of the horrors of his railroad life having been that he would some day lose his limbs in a wreck.


Back to the Top