Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

History of Cottage Hills

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

Cottage Hills was originally called Possum Ridge. It is an unincorporated area between Upper Alton and Bethalto in Wood River Township, at Highway 140 and Stanley Road.  In 1934 the Home Sales Company purchased land from the Stoker family and began platting for a subdivision. The north side was called Cottage Hills, and the south side was named Marshalltown, after Charley Marshall, an Upper Alton builder, who bought the first 10-acre tract. Later the two merged.

By 1936, The Cottage Hills Club was opened on Rt. 140, which was a popular tavern which advertised not only food and drinks, but had a large dance floor and live bands. The club closed in the early 1940s, and the New Covenant Ministry opened in this building.

During the 1940s and 1950s, the Rio Theater operated in Cottage Hills. It was located on MacArthur Drive (Highway 140).

Below is a 1906 map, showing (box in red) the located of Cottage Hills, Illinois.  At one time, Wasson Stanley had a large farm on this land.  Stanley Road is named after this family.

Cottage Hills, Wood River Township, Illinois