Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

History of Dorsey, Illinois (unincorporated)

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

 

Dorsey (also called Dorsey Station or Dorsey's Prairie) is an unincorporated community along the St. Louis and Indianapolis Railroad in Moro Township, Madison County. The community is east of Fosterburg on Seiler Road.  A post office was established in 1857.  The community was named after the Dorsey family, who were pioneer settlers and large land owners in the area. The railroad station provided a shipping and transportation for local farmers.

In the early history of Dorsey, there was a store kept by H. L. Koeneman, and a blacksmith shop was owned by Fred Best.

Below is an 1861 map of the Dorsey Station area:

Dorsey Station, 1861