Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

Marine, Illinois, Newspaper Clippings

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

EARLY HISTORY OF MARINE

 

MARINE - LOOKING FOR VILLAIN
Source: Alton Telegraph, December 14, 1839
Mr. Thomas H. Kimber of Belleville offers through the newspapers a reward of one hundred dollars for the apprehension of a man calling himself Eli Dyer, who came to the Marine Settlement, in this county, about the last of July, with the avowed intention of seeking a home in the West, and by means of forged letters of recommendation from the Hon. Levi Woodbury, as well as from the Rev. Albert Barnes and other clergymen, succeeded in defrauding sundry individuals of money and property to the value of several hundred dollars. This individual represents himself as a Minister in the Presbyterian Church, is apparently between 50 and 60 years of age, about five feet seven or eight inches high, very stout built, dark complexion, strong features, with deeply set grayish eyes. In preaching, he is fluent, earnest, and solemn, and usually wears a brown or auburn wig, his own hair being quite white. He was accompanied by a young woman who went by the name of Matilda Ann Jones, and passed for his niece. They left Marine together on the 2d of October last.

 

SILVER CREEK BRIDGE DESTROYED
Source: Alton Telegraph, July 26, 1850
We understand that Mr. D. Ground of Marine has made a good Ford just below the site of the old bridge, which fell in last week. This will save travelers on this road the necessity of going round by Troy, which is three or four miles out of the way. We hope our county court will, as soon as practicable, proceed to have a new bridge erected at this point. From the Madison County Record.

 

MARINE - FIRE AT THE RESIDENCE OF MRS. CATHERINE BUTLER
Source: Alton Weekly Courier, November 21, 1855
Marine, IL - To the Editor, Nov. 10, 1855 - - I assume the unpleasant task of announcing to the public the destruction this morning by fire of the residence and outbuildings of Mrs. Catherine Butler, widow of the late Rev. Calvin Butler, of this vicinity. The fire originated in some unknown way, in the dwelling house, about three o'clock this A.M., and completely destroyed the same, with almost every article of furniture, clothing, &c. Extending from the dwelling to the stable, the fire consumed the latter, some three or four hundred bushels of oats, the entire supply of hay, some harness and farming utensils. The horses, three in number, were forced, uninjured, from the stable. Mrs. B. and six of her children - all then at home - escaped in their night clothes, with no other bodily injury than a severe cut received by the oldest daughter in the left wrist, completely severing the radial artery. The older pair of twins, girls, aged thirteen years, ran barefooted and in their night clothes, a mile to the village, to obtain a physician and arouse the inhabitants. Although bereft of a comfortable home, and of almost every necessary just at the commencement of winter, and thus thrown upon the attention of friends and neighbors, the escape of the entire family with life, enables Mrs. Butler fully to retain her usual cheerfulness. This is a case which appeals to the liberality of a Christian community. Signed George T. Allen

 

ANCIENT DOCUMENT FROM MARINE
Source: Alton Telegraph, March 9, 1866
We are under obligations to Mrs. Dr. George T. Allen for a copy of the following manuscript, which she found among other papers belonging to her father, Curtiss Blakeman, Sr. It will be seen by reading this venerable document that our early pioneer fathers fully appreciated the influence of the press in advancing the cause of freedom. Let those of the present day read it, and seriously ask themselves the question – how much they owe to the loyal press of the North for the preservation of the government and establishment of universal freedom in our country today?

“Marine, Illinois, February 18, 1823
We, the subscribers, convinced of the necessity of supporting some newspaper establishment, the conductor of which will take a firm and manly stand against the introduction of slavery into this State, and against the calling of a convention to alter the constitution; the sole object of which, we are well convinced, is to effect the introduction of slavery, do hereby agree to use our utmost exertions and endeavors to support such newspaper establishment as may be fixed upon. Henry Starr, Curtiss Blakeman, and Thomas Mather, Esqs., are hereby appointed a committee to make such arrangements as they shall deem necessary with the conductor of such newspaper establishment, and for the purpose of giving efficient support to such newspaper as shall be edited in the cause of liberty. We, the subscribers, do hereby subscribe for the numbers of copies of such newspaper set opposite our respective names, at five dollars a year in State paper, to be paid in advance – the amount of which subscription shall be deposited with the above-named committee.

Curtiss Blakeman Sr., 10, paid; to deliver at Edwardsville
W. Kinkade, 10, paid; to delivery to Lawrenceville
Henry Starr, 10, paid, to deliver to Edwardsville
Thomas Mather, 10, paid; to deliver to Kaskaskia
Jacob Ogle, 10, paid; to deliver to Belleville
George Churchill, 10, paid; to deliver to Edwardsville
Thomas Lippincott, 5, paid; to delivery to Edwardsville
Samuel D. Lockwood, 10, paid; to delivery to Vandalia

The above has been carried fully into effect, and settled, by Liberty being fully established in this State, and so may it remain. Signed, Curtiss Blakeman, Sr. "

 

NEWS FROM MARINE – 1871
Source: Alton Telegraph, September 8, 1871
With your kind permission, I beg leave to intrude upon the columns of your excellent journal, with a short synopsis of the “doings” of Marine.

Like many other towns, ours is annually agitated with a railroad fever. The present year is no exception to those of former years, saving that more earnestness and spirit is evinced. A railroad, intended to be built from Toledo, Ohio, to St. Louis, would, if built on an air line, almost pass Marine direct. In order to better induce the company to locate as near our town as possible, subscription books were opened, to which the citizens of Marine and vicinity promptly responded. Some $12,000 have already been subscribed. This road, if built, would give a new impetus to our town, and be of great use to our farmers.

The Russian singers of St. Louis performed at Elbring’s Hall on August 19, to a very large and pleased audience. Their reputation as excellent singers is well merited.

Several enterprising young ladies of our town arranged a vocal and instrumental concert on last Wednesday evening, August 23, for the benefit of the Sunday School Society. A fair and appreciative audience was in attendance. It is only regretted that the house was not full from pit to gallery, as the object for which it was given is certainly a good one, and home enterprise should always be encouraged. The young ladies to whom the arrangement of the concert is due are Misses Anna L. Ellison, Emma P. Sawyer, Wilma and Annie Stoutzenberg, Sarah Blakeman, and Lottie and Hattie Wood, with several others unknown to me. Miss Ellison, with graceful dignity, assisted by Miss W. Stoutzenberg, who presided at the piano, while Miss Sawyer and Miss L. Wood are especially worthy of mention, for the beautiful songs rendered to the delighted audience. The concert was under the auspices of the Rev. H. W. Wood.

The Christian congregation have erected quite a handsome church in the southern part of our city, adding largely to the good appearance of that part of the town. The Marine Cornet Band has invested in a new and splendid set of silver instruments, while as performers thereon, they are second to none in Madison County.

The highways leading in different directions from Marine are in most excellent order, mainly due to the untiring efforts of our esteemed townsman, H. C. Gerke, County Commissioner. Crops, on an average here, are abundant, with no cause to complain. Signed, L. W. B.

 

CURTIS BLAKEMAN MOVES TO MISSOURI
Source: Alton Telegraph, October 18, 1872
Hon. Curtis Blakeman, late of Marine, and one of the oldest residents of this county, has removed to Missouri, where he will take up his residence with one of his sons.

 

MARINE - GRAND STRIDE TOWARD IMPROVEMENTS
Source: Alton Telegraph, October 1, 1874
The quiet little city of Marine, with its nearly 1,000 inhabitants, is making a grand stride toward improvement. In addition to several new dwellings erected this season, the Lutheran Church has been remodeled and a beautiful spire added that would be an ornament to any city of larger pretentions. The new public-school building, in course of erection, will cost the sum of $10,000. It will be furnished with all the modern improvements, and will be a monument to the enterprise and prosperity of the citizens. (From the Troy Bulletin)

 

MARINE NEWS
Source: Alton Telegraph, October 1, 1874
The quiet little city of Marine, with its nearly 1,000 inhabitants, is making a grand stride toward improvement. In addition to several new dwellings erected this season, the Lutheran Church has been remodeled and a beautiful spire added that would be an ornament to any city of larger pretentions.

The new public-school building in course of erection will cost the sum of $10,000. It will be furnished with all the modern improvements, and will be a monument to the enterprise and prosperity of the citizens.

 

NEWS FROM MARINE
Source: Alton Telegraph, October 29, 1874
I had the pleasure recently of visiting the Fire Brick Works of Tiemann, Rauschenplat & Co. They are in the northwest part of Marine. The clay of which the bricks are made lies 325 feet below the surface, in a layer varying in thickness from 7 to 9 feet, and is raised by steam power. When first taken out, it is quite tough, but on exposure to the atmosphere and the rays of the sun, it crumbles and becomes quite brittle. In the same mine is a vein of coal of a fair quality, which is taken out and furnishes fuel for the engines and for the local trade. The coal is 25 feet above the clay, and some 80 feet below the clay is a thicker vein of coal, and also of better quality, judging from recent borings, which they would mine if the demand justified it. This firm also owns and runs a steam flouring mill in the same yard. They employ during a part of the year a force of 50 men.

 

NEWS FROM MARINE
Source: Alton Telegraph, March 25, 1875
John Deibert, merchant tailor, has put another story on his building, and enlarged his shop to enable him to keep on hand a stock of gents ready-made clothing. He has a fine stock, and at all prices.

The Marine Mills and Fire Clay Works were recently sold under a deed of trust for some $6,500, less than one-half their worth. The purchaser is a Mr. Kubs of St. Louis, who is reported as having plenty means. They are running with a full force.

 

NEWS FROM MARINE
Source: Alton Telegraph, December 2, 1875
Since my last, several changes have taken place. E. Eaton, Esq., has bult a neat barn; Dr. P. Fisher has built an office near his residence; Henry Hoyer, a large and convenient shop for carrying on his wagon-making business; and several thousand feet of sidewalks have been built. L. A. Richardson, our enterprising druggist, is making arrangements to build a storeroom to accommodate his constantly increasing trade, and Dr. H. P. Sackett, dentist, druggist, etc., is enlarging his place of business by building an addition to his house.

Our public school is moving along finely. There are 225 pupils enrolled. The teachers spent one day this month visiting schools in St. Louis, and expressed themselves well please and determined to make ours better. The private schools of the Catholic and Lutheran Churches have opened, and have taken a few pupils out of the public school for a time.

 

Back to the Top