Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

Moro, Illinois, Newspaper Clippings

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

EARLY HISTORY OF MORO

 

FIRE AT MORO
Source: Alton Telegraph, March 17, 1865
We learn that as the morning train going west on the Terre Haute Road passed Moro yesterday morning, sparks from the locomotive ignited one of four carloads of hay standing on the side track, and two platform cars and their contents were burned. The hay was owned by James Montgomery, and valued at $400. Loss of railroad company, about $1,500.

 

MORO MILL BURNED
Source: Alton Telegraph, January 20, 1871
The extensive flour mill at Moro was destroyed by fire last evening. We have not yet learned particulars as regard the loss. The conflagration was distinctly visible in Alton. P. S. Since the above was in type, we have learned that the loss is estimated at $21,000 - $16,000 on the building, and $5,000 on the stock. The mill was owned and operated by Messrs. Fink & Nasse of St. Louis. It is not known how the fire originated, as there had been no fire in the building except in the office, for some weeks previous.

 

MORO NEWS
Source: Alton Telegraph, May 1, 1874
Our town is improving, and we ask those who wish a country residence to visit Moro before locating elsewhere. Moro is about 25 miles from St. Louis, and the garden spot of Old Madison. Dry goods and groceries can be bought here at St. Louis prices. J. P. Smith is selling 10lbs good sugar for one dollar, and in fact, everything usually kept in a country store can be bought of him cheap for cash. He also keeps a full stock of drugs, medicines, wines, paints, oil, &c., and is agent for the celebrated Climax reaper and mower.

 

OMPHGHENT TOWNSHIP AND MORO
Source: Alton Telegraph, October 14, 1875
On our way to the meeting of the Farmers Club, we left the train at Moro, and were indebted to Mr. J. P. Smith for a ride to the residence of Mr. Weaver at Omphghent, where the club met. Mr. Smith is one of the old settlers of that section, having located there in 1843. He is a prosperous business man, and to his duties as merchant adds those of Postmaster, express agent, station agent, etc. His fine farm of 100 acres adjoining the town is rented out. It is splendidly located and very productive.

Opposite Mr. Smith’s farm is the Montgomery farm – an extensive and valuable property. The entire road front of this farm is shaded by flourishing maple trees. About two miles from Moro, on the road to Omphghant, is the farm of Hon. Willard C. Flagg, which borders the road for a mile or more. A number of fertile farms and fine residences are passed as we drive along, all bearing evidence of thrift. The soil is rich, and a part of the country heavily timbered. The yield of corn in this section will be eighty bushels to the acre or more. A large acreage of wheat has been sown.

Considerable sorghum is raised in this vicinity, and Mr. Jervis Richards utilizes the product in his molasses factory. His mill is well arranged for crushing the cane, and boiling the juice down to syrup. He makes a good article of molasses, which finds a ready sale to the vicinity.

Between Moro and Omphghent we pass the spacious homestead of Mr. A. Y. Ellis, formerly postmaster of Springfield, and one of the prominent citizens of this county. Nearby lives the venerable Mrs. Swett, who is accredited the oldest resident of that part of the county. Farther on lives Mr. Samuel Miller, who has resided in the county forty-seven years, and is one of the leading members of the I.O.O.F. in Illinois. He organized the first Lodge of the Order west of the Mississippi. Ex-Governor John M. Palmer was raised in this vicinity. His boyhood fishing and hunting were done along the banks of Indian Creek, and when a young man, he taught school in the neighborhood of his father’s homestead. The road between Moro and Omphghent, though somewhat hilly, is in good order. None of the bridges were washed away in last summer’s flood. A substantial new bridge over Paddock’s Creek is a credit to the builder.

At Moro, business is moderate at present. The failure of the wheat crop this year, and the fact that the farmers have not yet realized on their corn crop, makes money scarce. There are two stores in the town kept by J. P. Smith and Mr. Mutchmore. There are also blacksmith shops, two saloons, and one churc, the Presbyterian. A flouring mill is one of the needs of the place, and there is a prospect that one will soon be built. About 120 gallons of milk are shipped daily from Moro to the St. Louis market by N. S. Gay, Harvey, and Will Smith. They receive 12 ½ cents per gallon for it at the station. The dairy interest at Moro is growing in importance, and proves profitable. Shippers need better accommodations. Enough milk is shipped daily by Litchfield, Dorsey, Bunker Hill, Moro and other stations, to justify the railroad company in putting on a special milk car.

Moro, although a railroad town, is not a voting precinct. Its inhabitants have to vote at Bethalto, two miles west. Omphghent, five miles from Moro, is the next nearest voting precinct.

 

MORO MILL BURNED
Source: Alton Weekly Telegraph, January 20, 1876
The extensive flouring mill at Moro was destroyed by fire last evening. The conflagration was distinctly visible in this city. The loss is estimated at $21,000 - $16,000 on the building, and $5,000 on the stock. The mill was owned and operated by Messrs. Fink & Nasse of St. Louis. It is not known how the fire originated, as there had been no fire in the building except in the office, for some weeks previous.

 

NEWS FROM MORO
Source: Alton Telegraph, May 20, 1880
Moro is improving. A new schoolhouse is to be built this summer of brick. It will cost $9,000. The Presbyterian Church and Sunday School are happy in the possession of a new organ. It is an Estey of the chapel design, and is a beautiful instrument in both finish and tone. Messrs. Eph and T. H. Green are sinking a coal shaft on W. A. Smith’s farm. A small vein of the “dusky diamonds” was reached on Saturday. William Montgomery, P. M. agent for the Telegraph, expressman, ticket agency, and school trustee, has sold his farm to Henrie Dewerffe.

 

NEWS FROM MORO
Source: Alton Telegraph, July 29, 1880
The work of constructing a new schoolhouse at this place has been commenced, and is steadily going on.

 

FIRE DESTROYS TWO BIG BARNS ON OLD HOMESTEAD OF THE N. S. DAY FAMILY
Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, July 26, 1922
Fire destroyed two big barns and other outbuildings on the John Hoemm place near Moro this morning. The fire broke out with great violence shortly after midnight, and nothing could be done to save any of the buildings. Fortunately, the big house on the place, occupied by the family of William Manns, was saved from destruction. The barn contained a large amount of hay, grain and feed. The house was the old homestead of the N. S. Day family. Included in the destruction by fire were five straw stacks, 600 bushels of wheat, 150 bushels of oats, all the harness for the horses on the place, sixty loads of clover, alfalfa and timothy hat, a large amount of machinery and small tools, a corn crib containing 100 bushels of corn. The family were out attending a dairymen's meeting at Moro, and got home about 11 o'clock. Everything was all right at that time. Soon after midnight, Joseph, the 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Manns, was awakened by the sound of the crackling of the flames and the glare of the light from the burning barn. He gave the alarm and roused the other members of the family. His father rushed and saved one wagon out of a shed that stood between the barn and the house. That was all that was saved out of the shed. The family have a telephone, and they called John Gueldner, who was the first one to answer the telephone call. Mrs. Gueldner called everybody on the line, about 25 families, and in 25 minutes there were fully 75 people on the ground all ready to help, but the fire gained too fast for them to do much good. A barrier of high green trees separated the house from the burning. The trees caught fire, but they protected the house from the worst of the heat and to this fact is attributed the saving of the farm home. Mr. Manns had not been carrying any insurance, but not long ago he took out a policy for $1,100 on his personal property in the Northwest Mutual Fire Insurance Association. Mr. Hoemm carried $800 on the buildings destroyed. The insurance will not near cover the loss. The farm was being operated on shares and part of the destroyed contents of the barn belonged to Mr. Hoemm. The lease arrangement called for part cash and part in crops. Yesterday Mr. Hoemm, recognizing the smallness of the crop, had made a present to Mr. Manns of half the cash rent, rebating it to him. This afternoon a mass meeting of the residents in that neighborhood was held for the purpose of making presents to Mr. Manns of articles he will need to continue farming, as their way of showing their sympathy for an unfortunate neighbor.

 

Back to the Top