Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

Troy, Illinois, Newspaper Clippings

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

EARLY HISTORY OF TROY

 

PATRIOTIC SOCIETY FORMED IN TROY
Source: Alton Telegraph, November 1, 1837
At a meeting of the citizens of Madison county, held at Troy on Saturday, the 7th inst., Maj. Isaac Ferguson was called to the chair, and George B. Judd appointed Secretary pro tem. After the object of the meeting was explained by the President, the following Preamble and Constitution were adopted:

Preamble
Whereas, it is evident from the frequent accounts of horses and other property being stolen, that our country is infested with a clan of men whose practice it is to live on what they can filch from the honest and industrious citizens of the country. And whereas, for want of united action on the part of the citizens, they are too often suffered to commit their acts of villany with impunity. How, therefore -

Revolved, That we, the citizens of Madison county and State of Illinois, in order that we may be the better able to act in concert and with success in detecting and punishing villains and restoring stolen property to the proper owners, agree to form ourselves into a society, to be denominated "the Madison County Patriotic Society;" and adopt the following Constitution for our government:

Article 1. Any person may be a member of this Society by subscribing this Constitution, and paying one dollar, and an equal part of any further sum which the Board of Managers may order for the benefit of the Society.

Article 2. The officers of this Society shall consist of one President, one Vice-President, one Secretary, one Treasurer, and five Directors, chosen by the Society, who shall form a Board of Mangers, and hold their offices for one year and until their successors are elected and perform the duties of their respective offices gratuitously, five of whom shall form a quorum.

Article 3. It shall be the duty of the President to call a meeting of the Society or Board of Managers whenever the interest of the Society demands it, and preside in said meetings.

Article 4. The Secretary shall take a minute of the proceedings of the Society and Board at their meetings, and enter the same in a book to be bought with the funds of the Society and kept for that purpose; and also make a report of the proceedings of the Board to the Society at its annual meeting, and to deliver over to his successor in office all the records and documents belonging to the Society.

Article 5. The Treasurer shall receive and safely keep the funds of the Society, and pay them out to the order or direction of the Board of Managers, and report the state of the funds to the Society at its annual meeting, and to the Board when called on, and deliver to his successor in office all the funds and other property in his possession belonging to the Society.

Article 6. It shall be the duty of the Board of Managers to employ as many suitable persons, members of this Society, as they may think the interest of the Society demands, to be denominated Pursuers, whose duty it shall be to hold themselves in readiness at a minute's warning, with a fleet, substantial horse, to pursue any thief who may steal a horse or other property from any member of this Society, or widow within its bounds, and use due diligence to detect and bring the thief to justice, and restore the stolen property to its owner.

Article 7. When any member of this Society, or widow, within its bounds, shall have a horse or other property stolen, it shall be his or her duty immediately to give all the necessary information to the Pursuers, or a sufficient number of them, to enable them to make pursuit; and any person giving such information without good and sufficient grounds in the opinion of the Board of Managers, to believe that such horse or other property was actually stolen, shall be taxed with the cost of pursuit, and on refusing to pay the same, shall receive no further aid from the Society.

Article 8. It shall be the duty of the President, when informed by a Pursuer that he has unadjusted claims against the Society, to call a meeting of the Board of Managers, at which time and place all persons having claims shall present them for adjustment; and it shall be the duty of the Board to examine the account of each claimant, and to require satisfactory evidence to substantiate the same, and to grant an order to the Treasurer in favor of each Pursuer entitled thereto, for a sum which shall be a fair and reasonable compensation for the services performed; and a premium of $25 for each thief detected and brought to justice; and any member who may be successful in detecting and bringing a thief to justice shall receive a like compensation.

Article 9. There shall be a meeting of this Society at Troy, on the 1st Saturday in September, annually, at which time this Constitution may be altered or amended by a majority of the members present, the officers of the Society elected, and any other business transacted; and any member failing to attend said meeting shall, without a good excuse, forfeit and pay fifty cents for the benefit of the Society; and any member of the Board of Managers failing to attend a meeting of the Board, shall also, without a good excuse, forfeit and pay one dollar for the benefit of the Society.

Article 10. Any member of this Society accepting an office, and neglecting or refusing to discharge the duties of said office, shall forfeit his rights and benefits as a member.

The Society then proceeded to the election of its officers, which resulted as follows: Major Issac Furguson, President; Josiah Caswell, Esq., Vice-President; Thomas S. Waddle, Secretary; Jesse Renfro, Treasurer; and James Sackett, Elijah Ellison, Edmund Fruit, Jubilee Posey, and Archilus Walker, Directors. After which the following resolutions were unanimously adopted:

On motion:
1st. Resolved, That, as the present crisis seems to demand a simultaneous effort in order to rid the country of a set of horse thieves and highway robbers who are continually harassing the honest community by their acts of villainy, and are corrupting the morals and characters of the youth of our fair and flourishing country; this Society recommend the getting up of similar Societies in other counties in the State, to hold correspondence and to act in concert with the one now in existence.

On motion:
2nd. Resolved, That the Secretary be requested to make out and transmit a copy of the proceedings of this meeting to the Editors of the Alton Telegraph and Spectator, for publication; and other Editors who are friendly to the object of the Society, are requested to give them a place in their columns, accompanied with such remarks as may be thought proper.

On motion, the Society adjourned. Signed by Isaac Furguson, President; Thomas S. Waddle, Secretary

 

TROY IMPROVING
Source: Alton Telegraph, August 8, 1851
We gave this place a flying visit last week, and were much pleased with the appearance of things in it. Some of the good citizens have thrown aside the lethargy which has so long tied them down, as well as in other towns in the county, and have determined that this beautiful village shall improve and become a place worthy of the fine country surrounding it, for which we must say that no town in our county is more advantageously situated than this, and by proper exertion it could be made the center of considerable trade. Troy has near it, within a mile, a quarry of very good building rock, that might be used to advantage, if attempts were made properly to work it. This is a great object to a town, and we are surprised that it is not worked.

The first thing that strikes the attention of the stranger on entering the place from the west, is the fine new mill, nearly completed and erected by Messrs. Reiner & Swain. We have examined the mill, and find that it is finished with all the modern improvements in the milling department, and we believe that work will be done at this mill equal to any in the country. By the erection of such manufactories as this, Troy will improve, and the surrounding country will be benefitted much.

 

TROY HAS SEEN THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS
Source: Alton Telegraph, December 24, 1852
Troy was once distinguished for its successful gamblers, who sent away those less skillful than themselves, impressed with a bitter hatred for the place, and many such still delight to magnify its disrepute. It formerly excelled, also, in intemperance and its associated vices, but the citizens have “seen the error of their ways,” and turned from them. There is not a dram shop, either public or covert, here, and at this time a more temperate, prosperous, or moral place is not to be found in Southern Illinois. Our pulpits are filled with the very best of talent, viz: Rev. Mr. Gibson in the Presbyterian; Rev. Mr. Dodson in the Baptist; and the Rev. Mr. Matison in the Methodist Church. They are all educated and gifted men, and the community at large is punctual in its attendance upon public worship. As was the case with the Apostle Paul, may not the same qualities which distinguished the citizens of this place in evil, be relatively as efficient in doing good, when that has become to be their object. Signed, “A Witness.”

 

SHOOTING AFFRAY IN TROY
Source: Alton Telegraph, March 31, 1865
A shooting affray occurred at Troy on Thursday last, which might have had a fatal termination. Dr. F. A. Sabin of that place, two days previous, married a daughter of Dr. Lytle, and a number of rowdies took it upon themselves to charivari the newly arrived couple. During the musical performance, Dr. Sabin fired a pistol from the second story window into the crowd, wounding a man – a refugee from Missouri – in the thigh. We had supposed that this heathenish practice had been pretty thoroughly suppressed in all parts of the country. It is a perfect outrage that quiet and respectable people should be thus disturbed by an ignorant and depraved rabble. And if the law is not strong enough to prevent such insults from being offered, no one should be surprised if the unoffending parties should protect themselves against such indignities, by whatever means may be in their possession.

 

TROY NEWS
Source: Alton Telegraph, April 21 & 26, 1872
Troy is a pleasant and thriving town, situated on the St. Louis, Vandalia, and Terre Haute Railroad, eighteen miles east of St. Louis, on the edge of Ridge Prairie – one of the richest and most fertile spots in Southern Illinois. Troy has a population of some 700, and contains three dry goods stores, one grocery store, one hotel, one boarding house, and two steam mills. The Troy City Mills, owned and run by T. A. Throp & Co., has a capacity for grinding 300 bushels of wheat in 24 hours. The other, the Magnolia Mill, is run by Jacob Schanck, Esq.

We have also a fine, large brick schoolhouse, in which at the present time, there are three schools – one being conducted by Prof. E. Bigelow as principal, and James M. Anderson and Miss Jane Mills as assistant teachers. The schools are doing well, and are in a flourishing condition.

There are three churches – the Baptist, Methodist, and the Presbyterian. The latter is a new brick building, 40x60, two stories. The basement is intended for Sabbath School, lectures, &c. The church is nearly completed. I believe that it is the intention of the Pastor, the Rev. Robert Stewart, to have the dedication take place the first Sabbath in May. The members of the church have just received a new organ from the manufactory of Mr. Goodman of Syracuse, New York. It is a very fine instrument.

We were favored on the evening of April 11 by a select part of St. Louis Amateurs, who gave us a concert for the purpose of defraying, in part, the expense of purchasing the organ. The music was of a high order, and very ably conducted by Prof. Balmer, who presided at the piano and organ in his usual happy and brilliant manner. The music was listened to by a large and appreciative audience.

The Methodist society have built a parsonage, which is now occupied by Rev. A. Bliss. The old Presbyterian Church was sold to Rev. R. Stewart, who intends to remodel it for a dwelling house.

C. F. Wortman is building a large, two-story brick shop, joining his furniture warehouse.

James N. Jarvis is running an Adams printing press in his warehouse for agricultural implements, and doing job work for the accommodation of the public. Mr. Jarvis also issues a “Commercial Bulletin” for the benefit of his advertising patrons, semi-monthly.

The Troy city Cornet Band, J. N. Jarvis, leader, is in a flourishing condition, and expects by Fair time to be able to furnish as good music as any band of their age in the county.

On April 18, the office of T. A. Throp & Co., of the Troy City Mills, was entered by burglars and their safe was blown open. Fortunately, there were only about eighty-two dollars in the safe at the time, which the thieves secured and then made their escape. A heavy charge of powder must have been used, as the door of the safe, which is a very substantial one, was blown completely off. The office windows were demolished, and the walls of the office were badly shattered. Messrs. T. A. Throp & Co. will pay a liberal reward for the apprehension of the burglars.

 

NEW TOWN OF BROOKSIDE
Source: Alton Telegraph, April 25, 1873
Brookside is the name of a new town which has been laid off near the town of Troy in Madison County, on some lands recently purchased by some St. Louis parties, of the Hon. J. A. Barnsback, lying immediately between Troy and the railroad depot. The parties making the purchase are organized as a building association, and commence operations at once. The Troy Bulletin says that “a sidewalk will be built from Troy to the depot immediately, and that a large hotel is in contemplation near the center of the new addition. Also, that several dwellings will be in the course of erection in a short time.”

 

TROY NEWS – 1874
Source: Alton Telegraph, March 27, 1874
The Exchange and Troy City Mills are doing a very good business at present. Mr. Bauer of the City Mills, during the past eight weeks has bought over seven thousand bushels of wheat, for which the average price has been about $1.40. This amount of money was put into circulation among the farmers of our surrounding country, and has tended to make times much easier than heretofore.

Our suburban town, “Brookside,” is looking up. Since the property has changed hands the present proprietors appear to take more interest in it, and will try to resurrect and breathe new life into it. One of our business men, W. Freudman and S. Saybold from St. Louis have bought lots in Brookside for the purpose of building residences for themselves. Among other improvements contemplated is the erection of a large hotel and office for the resident manager, J. W. Woodward, Esq. also contemplated is a plank sidewalk, extending from Troy to the depot of the Vandalia Railroad, which will be a convenience to the public.

John G. Jarvis has sold a number of lots to Rudolph Hoge, who intends to manufacture brick on quite an extensive scale, as soon as the weather permits. Mr. Jarvis has also sold from five acres of ground to C. F. Wortman. John F. Jarvis sold six acres to Jacob Gabauer.

G. S. Robbins has commenced building his residence with the photograph gallery attached. He is one of the best artists in his line in the West, and we are pleased to learn that his efforts are crowned with success.

 

TROY - STABBING
Source: Syracuse, New York Daily Standard, November 17, 1884
William Vanderburg stabbed and killed Michael Gibbons, in a political altercation on Friday night. He was captured yesterday.

 

TROY CIGAR FACTORY
Source: Troy Star, June 21, 1894
I desire to announce through the Star that I have opened a cigar factory in Troy, and will make only first-class cigars. I have competent union workmen, and the tobacco with which I manufacture my cigars is of the best quality. I will not retail cigars myself, but sell only to dealers. Hoping you will call on your grocer or other dealers and try my manufacture. I remain Very Respectfully, Adolph Buscher.

 

TROY - BANK ROBBERY
Source: Syracuse, New York Evening Herald, November 25, 1899
The Troy Exchange bank at Troy, Illinois, eight miles from St. Louis, was wrecked by safe blowers. about 2:e0 A. M. and everything of value that was in the bank was taken. The robbers secured between $3,000 and $5,000 in cash and a large amount of bonds and other securities and escaped.

 

TROY TRAIN WRECK
Source: Buffalo, New York Morning Express, May 25, 1890
A terrible railroad accident is reported on the Vandalia line near Troy, Illinois. Trains with help and physicians have been sent to the scene of the accident. Reports are very meager. The railroad officials acknowledge there will be no train in over the road before noon tomorrow. 12.45 A. M. - It is now reported that six or seven passengers were killed. It is impossible at this time to get anything definite.

Source: Rochester, New York Democrat Chronicle, May 26, 1890
On the Vandalia railroad today a, fast freight train, laden with cattle collided with a local freight. Both engines and a dozen freight cars were demolished. William Butler, a brakeman, was killed and horribly mangled. Five others were injured.

 

TROY - HORSE ACCIDENT
Source: Troy Star, September 13, 1894
Henry Ritcher, a son of Aug. Ritcher, intended to take a drive out on the Marine road Sunday morning, but as he was driving west on Market street his horse became unmanageable and he decided to turn to the right on the St. Jacob road. A high rail fence around the Zenk pasture at this corner completely shuts off the view of the St. Jacob road. As he turned this corner trying to hold his horse, he collided with Jac. Hoenig's team, Mr. Hoenig and family being on their way to church. One of the latter's horses was instantly killed by the collision, the shaft of Ritcher's wagon entering its breast. Mr. Ritcher immediately offered $50 to make good Mr. Hoenig's loss, but the latter refused, saying he wanted $65. It is the general opinion that Mr. Hoenig is acting unwisely in the matter. In the first place, it was not entirely Mr. Ritcher's fault, and $50 cash will buy a first-class horse these days. It would be a good idea if the street committee of this city would look into the matter, as this place of accident has a very short turn; with the high fence lowered the danger would be nine-tenths less.

 

TROY - OLD BUILDING TO BE TORN DOWN
Source: Troy Star, September 20, 1894
The old frame building between the Commercial hotel and M. F. Auwarter's store has been purchased of the latter by John C. Gebauer, who is tearing it down for the use of the lumber, which, despite its old age, is still in first-class condition. This is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It was built in 1838 by John Brede, and has done good service ever since. Mr. Auwarter will immediately erect a one-story brick business building on the site. One by one the old buildings are giving way to new and better ones. Boom 'er up, an investment in Troy real estate is a "sure thing."

 

TROY - CATHOLIC CHURCH CORNERSTONE LAYING
Source: Troy Star, November 22, 1894
The cornerstone of the new Catholic church, now in process of erection, will be laid on Thanksgiving day - next Thursday. The ceremonies will be opened at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Revs. Aug. Schlegel, of Edwardsville, and J. Meckel, of Highland, will deliver appropriate sermons. Solemnity will be added to the occasion by the splendid music, which will be furnished by the celebrated Black Jack brass band. Everybody is invited to attend the celebration.

 

TROY EXCHANGE BANK SAFE BLOWN
Everything of Value Taken
Source: Troy Weekly Call, November 25, 1899
The whole town is thrown into a state of excitement this morning as a result of the robbery of the Troy Exchange Bank at an early hour this morning. Bold, bad burglars entered it this morning at about 2:30 o’clock, and looted the safe. The glass front and fixtures were completely wrecked by a terrific explosion of dynamite or other powerful explosive. The windows are nailed up, and the bank is closed against the curious. The big safe and treasure box of chilled steel appears to have yielded easily to the ingenuity of the cracksman. The robbers gained entrance into the building with the aid of crowbars, which they took from the railroad tool house at the depot.

The explosion which did the work was heard by a number of citizens, but Dr. F. W. Braner was the first to realize the position. He arose hurriedly, and immediately set about spreading the news. An attempt was made to telephone to Edwardsville for the bloodhounds, but the line was found to be out of order. Frank Collins was then dispatched to Edwardsville with all possible haste, and the dogs are expected to arrive as soon as possible. A big crowd has gathered in front of the bank, and considerable excitement prevails.

The loss is reported to be every cent the bank contained, but how, banker Jarvis refuses to state at present. It is known that he took the precaution to carry only a sufficient amount to conduct his business, the surplus being deposited elsewhere. Creditors need have no fear, as the contents of the bank is insured against burglary in the New York Fidelity and Casualty Company, and not one cent loss will result. The company has been notified, and detectives are expected to arrive soon and begin work on the case.

This is the second time within the past year that burglars have visited this bank, but the former attempt was unsuccessful. It may be that this morning’s callers were the same crowd, better prepared, with possibly an addition or two. Whoever they were, they understood well their business.

It is impossible at this writing to give a complete account or statement. Mr. Jarvis is not prepared to say anything further than has been said. The best is hoped for. No financial loss will result, and it is hoped the robbers will be apprehended. At all events, they will be given a hot run for their money.

Robbery Yet a Mystery
Source: Troy Weekly Call, December 2, 1899
The blowing and looting of the Troy Exchange Bank of Troy, which occurred at an early hour last Saturday morning, is yet shrouded in mystery so far as the general public is concerned. If detectives have any clue, they are keeping it to themselves and quietly working on the case. It is conceded that several threads of evidence have been picked up, but these, of course, will have to be followed out in order to ascertain whether or not there is anything in them that will prove of value in apprehending the guilty parties.

Mr. Lynn, a representative of the safe maker, was early on the scene of the robbery. At a glance, he pronounced it the work of a gang of experts, who have been successfully operating in this and several adjoining States during the past few years. He admitted the job was neatly and completely done, and pointed out many things not before noticed, which verified his statements and evidenced the work of experts.

Banker W. W. Jarvis wisely left things as they were left by the explosion, and immediately set about notifying the proper parties as soon as he was made aware of the robbery. Mr. Ried, adjuster for the Fidelity and Casualty Insurance Company of New York, in which the bank was insured, was upon the scene early, and it may be said, had charge of the entire bank for a couple of days. In rummaging in the wreck, it was found that considerable money remained, having been scattered by the force of the explosion. This in all amounted to more than $500. It was also discovered that the books were uninjured, and that no valuable papers were missing. Considerable currency, both paper and silver, was found mutilated by the explosion. It was not until Sunday evening that banker Jarvis was permitted to take his books from the wreck, and then, with the assistance of cashier Miss D. G. Jarvis, the work of examination began, which lasted several days. The bank is now doing business at the old stand, with almost as much convenience as before.

A claw bar, which is used to pull spikes from railroad ties, was taken from the railroad tool house, and played a very prominent part in the robbery. Four heavy doors had to be gone through, and in three of these, this tool was mainly employed. The combination on the first door was pried easily off by this means, which afforded tremendous leverage. The balance of the combination was then punched inside the safe, disengaging it from the bolts which secured the door. A hole was then drilled alongside to the left, a short distance down. In this, a tool was inserted, and the “dog” which held the bolts was tripped, and the door swung open. The other two doors were opened in precisely the same manner. The treasure box, or receptacle which held the money, received entirely different treatment. This is composed of six plates of chilled steel of unequalled hardness, and designed to ruin the best drills made. This safe was guaranteed burglar proof. In this, the cracksmen employed a different method. Opinions of authority and appearances go to show that the cracks in the door were widened by the use of a cold chisel at both the bottom and top. An air pump was used to form a vacuum inside, and nitroglycerine was injected into the cracks and set off by a dynamite cap connected by a fuse. The door shows that two charges were placed behind it, as it is bulged at both top and bottom. These facts give evidence that the burglars were professional cracksmen, and understood well every detail entered into. A candle was found in the vault, and the holes in the safe door were stuffed with paper to exclude the light from the vision of chance passersby. Several hours must have been required to do all the work. The explosion sent the last door out of the safe and through the counter, playing havoc with the fixtures in general.

Troy Bank Get New Safe
Source: Troy Weekly Call, December 9, 1899
The Troy Exchange Bank presents a different appearance from that of two weeks ago today. Banker Jarvis this week received a fine new combination safe from the G. V. Halliday Co. of St. Louis, and now has the same in position. The new safe weighs about 8,500 pounds, and has burglar-proof doors extending the full length and width. It has three floors, and the money chest is provided with a time lock. The safe throughout is of double the strength and thickness of the former one. It does not occupy the same position of the old one, however, and has been placed near one of the big windows in plain view. Mr. Jarvis believes that putting safes into a fireproof vault is only an antiquated idea, and tends to induce robbery rather than to prevent it. Burglars will now have to work in the open, and if they do, they will stand a good chance of being caught in the act. The old vault will be used for books and papers of various sorts, but the valuable books and papers will be placed in the new safe. Mr. Jarvis has returned the old safe, and the makers have agreed to put it in repair and dispose of it for him. The glass front was replaced yesterday, and now the bank is running along as smoothly as ever. The job of unloading the new safe and loading the old one took the biggest part of Monday, and required a great many more men than it did to blow it two weeks ago.

NOTES:
Between $3,000 and $5,000 in cash, and a large amount of bonds and other securities were taken by the robbers of the Troy Exchange Bank, which was located on Market Street in Troy. The bank robbers used a “claw bar,” taken from the railroad toolshed, to pry the door and gain entrance. A hole was drilled in the safe, and a tool inserted to trip the bolts to open the door. The cracks in the door of the steel box which held the money were widened by the use of a “cold chisel.” An air pump was used to form a vacuum inside, and nitroglycerine was injected into the cracks and set off by a cap and fuse. The explosion sent the last door of the safe through the counter, and the burglars gained access to the money. After the investigation, $500 was found to have been left behind, as well as the valuable books belonging to the bank. By December 9, 1899, a new safe was put in place, weighing 8,500 pounds. The robbers were never found.

The Troy Exchange Bank was founded in 1885 by W. W. Jarvis and H. H. Padon. Two years later, Jarvis bought out the interests of his partner, and operated the bank as a private institution until 1910, when it was organized as a State bank. His daughter, Genevieve, began working at the bank as a cashier in 1894. Mr. Jarvis, a veteran of the Civil War, retired from the banking business, and was succeeded by the bank’s vice-president, John Feldmeier. The bank closed during the Depression, and was sold to James L. Watson of Troy. Later, a dentist moved into the building.

 

TROY - OLD SPANISH COIN FOUND IN BLACKJACK COMMUNITY
Source: Troy Call, January 1, 1900
Otto Bress, while shucking corn last week in a field near the residence of John M. Riebold in the Blackjack community, found an old Spanish silver coin which is 113 years old. It is about the size of a half dollar and in a fairly good state of preservation. On one side is the bust of a man and the words "Carolius IIII, Dei Gratia, 1805," and on the other "Hispan Et. Ind. Rex. 2R. F. J." and a coat of arms. No one seems to know the value of the coin. The history of how it got where found and how long it has lain there would doubtless be interesting.

 

NEW GLOVE FACTORY IN TROY
Source: Troy Weekly Call, July 17,1914
After negotiations extending over a period of six months, the Alton Glove Company has finally decided to locate in Troy. This information was received here this morning by Edward H. Klein from L. S. Carter, superintendent of the concern. Mr. Carter stated that the plant at Alton is now being dismantled. The machinery and equipment are being loaded in cars and will arrive here Monday. The glove factory will occupy the second floor of the shoe factory building. The machinery will be installed at once, and the factory is expected to be ready for operation at an early date. A line of cheap canvas and leather gloves and gauntlets will be manufactured for which there is a steady demand. The inducements offered by Troy for the removal of the factory to this city was the payment of moving expenses and a guarantee of free rent for a period of five years. The company is said to have been dissatisfied with Alton as a location, on account of its inability to secure help, the other industries there having offered greater inducements to the working girls. Superintendent Carter stated that with the factory in full operation, as high as sixty girls would be employed nine months in the year, besides the other help. Edward H. Klein, owner of the shoe factory building, was instrumental in getting the glove factory to located .... [unreadable]....The glove factory should prove a valuable and important addition to the industries of Troy. It will not only offer employment to the working girls of Troy and vicinity, but will contribute to local business and should have the encouragement of citizens generally.

 

Back to the Top