Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser
1812, Exact location unknown.
A settler’s blockhouse.
BARTLETT’S FORT, OR JOSEPH BARLETT’S BLOCKHOUSE
Built by Joseph Bartlett during the War of 1812-14, Pin Oak Township
A settlers’ blockhouse, stood until 1834, when it was moved and converted to stables. Bartlett was the first treasurer of Madison County.
1811, 1831, near Edwardsville
A settlers’ fort located on John Beck’s farm, 3 miles east of Edwardsville. Rebuilt during the 1831 Sauk War.
(JAMES) BEEMAN, OR MILTON FORT
1811. Section 21 in Wood River Township.
A settlers’ fort constructed in 1811, about a mile south of the old town of Milton. Jacob Preuitt, son of Solomon Preuitt, was born in this fort. This birth was among the first in the township. James Beeman was a member of the Vaughn Hill Baptist Church, where Abel Moore and family were members. James married Nancy Moore, sister of Abel Moore. Beeman was appointed to get plank to floor the church house, and get two acres of land from Joseph Vaughn for a church and graveyard.
A settlers’ fort located on Terrapin Ridge, five miles from Shelton’s Fort.
CAMP RIVER DuBOIS
Dec 13, 1803-1804, near the Wood River
A stockade winter encampment with four cabins, located near the mouth of the Wood River (River DuBois). This was the departure point for the Lewis & Clark Expedition, May 1804.
(CAPTAIN NATHAN) CHAMBERS’ FORT
A settlers’ fort located one mile south of town near a branch of Silver Creek on the western edge of Looking Glass Prairie. Area known as Union Grove at the time.
1810-1812, Two miles west of St. Jacob. East side of Silver Creek
A settlers’ blockhouse, located about two miles west of town. Never attacked. Also known as Fort Augusta. Site most likely destroyed during highway construction in the 1980s. The families of John Lindley, Augustus Chilton, William Chilton, Cyrus Chilton, Harrison, Smeltzer, Howard, and Husers all took shelter in Chilton’s Fort during the War of 1812-14. David Smeltzer taught schools in Chilton’s Fort.
1810? Near the border of Madison/St. Clair Counties, in Jarvis Township
A settlers’ fort, located somewhere in the southern part of the county.
1812, St. Jacobs
A settlers’ fort and refuge for 11 families. Never attacked.
Built in 1812, located a couple of miles north of Edwardsville.
This five-gun stockade blockhouse was the headquarters for Governor Ninian Edwards and main supply depot for the Territorial militia. The Governor opened his court at the fort, and presided with “genius and talent.” The cannon of Louis XIV of France were taken from old Fort Chartres, and taken to Fort Russell. The fort was named in honor of Colonel William Russell of Kentucky, who had command of the ten companies of Rangers to defend the western frontier. Four companies were allotted to the defense of Illinois, and were commanded by William B. Whiteside, James B. Moore, Jacob Short, and Samuel Whiteside. A small company of Regulars, under the command of Captain Ramsey, were stationed at Fort Russell for a few months during 1812.
(JOHN) GILLHAM’S FORT
Section 1, Chouteau Township
A stockade fort built near the homes of John Gillham and his five sons, three brothers by the name of Brown, three Kirkpatricks, and families by the name of Dunnagan, Sanders, Ferguson, Dodd, Revis, Beeman, Winsor, Celver, Green, and Smith. According to S. P. Gillham, an early pioneer, the fort was constructed on Section 1, township 4, Range 9, 3rd principal merdian in Chouteau Township. In 1875, Mr. L. Southard lived on the spot where the fort had been.
1812, near Hartford
A settlers’ fort located opposite the mouth of the Missouri River.
1812, Nameoki Township
A settlers’ blockhouse located in the American Bottom.
(NAT) HILL’S FORT
1812, near Pierron
A settlers’ fort located a few miles above the mouth of Goshen (Doza) Creek, on the east side of the creek, east of town.
1807, near Edwardsville
A settlers’ fort north of town, probably near Indian Creek.
1811, near Edwardsville
A settlers’ blockhouse, located southeast of town, east of brother James’ fort.
(JAMES) KIRKPATRICK FORT
1811, near Edwardsville
A settlers’ blockhouse, located 2-3 miles southwest of town, Brother to Frank and Thomas.
(THOMAS) KIRKPATRICK FORT
A settlers’ blockhouse located 300 yards from Cahokia Creek at the end of present-day O Street, just off of North Main Street. He was a brother to James and Frank.
1812, Nameoki Township
A settlers’ blockhouse located in the American Bottoms
(GEORGE) MOORE’S BLOCKHOUSE
1808, Northwest quarter of section 10 in Wood River Township.
A settlers’ blockhouse
A settlers’ blockhouse. Unknown location. Dismantled in 1817 and sold for lumber.
(WILLIAM or T. J.) SHELTON’S FORT
1809 - 1812
A settler’s fort located on Silver Creek
WOOD RIVER FORT
1812, Section 10 of Wood River Township
A settlers’ fort
Captain Toliver Wright, who settled near the mouth of the Wood River in 1806, served as Ranger during the War of 1812-14. While in command, he was shot by an Indian, carried back to the Wood River Fort, and died six weeks later. On the night of the Wood River Massacre, July 10, 1814, local families fled to this fort for protection.