Madison County ILGenWeb

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

LINKS

Theaters in Madison, Illinois

Madison County ILGenWeb Coordinator - Beverly Bauser

 

MADISON THEATER

Madison Theater, Madison Illinois

The Madison Theater, located at 1537 Third Street in Madison, Illinois (just to the west of the city hall), was constructed in about 1913 by the Madison Fire Company. The Fireman's Hall was on the second floor, and the theater on the first floor. Madison is a city that is partly in Madison County, and partly in St. Clair County, and is located between Granite City and East St. Louis.

Next door to the theater was a candy shop, which had a window that opened into the theater lobby. A whistle was located on top of the Firemen's building which blew each night at curfew time (9PM), for youngsters to head home. In 1949, the police chief in Madison stated the curfew would be enforced, and any boy under 14, and any girl under 15 who ignored the whistle would be subject to arrest.

In 1937, the theater, under the management of Herman Stemberg, underwent improvements with new upholstered seats, carpet, and new lighting. In 1951 the theater was expanded and renovated again. It finally closed in the late 1950s, and renovations to the building erased most of the evidence of the theater's existence. The building still stands today.